Should Dallas not extend Zeke?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The only concerns regarding signing Zeke to a large extension:

1. RBs have been shown through data to give the smallest impact in deciding games amongst positions in the NFL

2. Teams that have given big money to RBs on 2nd contracts in last ten years have all gone on to regret their decision

3. Zeke started showing signs of injury hobbling him the back half of last season

4. Zeke will have a ton of mileage on him when the extension comes up, and that has also shown to be a negative.

5. Despite how elite he is as a running back, it's had nearly not effect on the offensive performance comparing him when he's on and off the field.

6. Susceptable to suspension and has exhibited behavior that might lead to suspensions down the road. Ex. Saint Patty's day, which I'm shocked he didnt get punishment for.

7. You lose out on compensation for letting him leave, whether it be comp pick or trade value.

Other than that

Exactly why I say go ahead and extend him NOW if he's your future. Let's not waste two years of wear and tear on 5th-year option and tag. Extend him now with optional 3-year out. That way in three years, he still only what 27-28? We can decide at that time whether to move on of the rest of his deal year-by-year.

ItzKelz

Reaction score
Might not be a popular thing to talk about. But might be the smart thing to do. The Cowboys made that absolute right decision not to resign DeMarco Murray fresh off an 1800 yard season. He was the 4th best player in the league at the time, according to the top 100 players. He was also a 3rd round 71st player taken in the draft. Solid RB's can be found in the later rounds.

He also lasted only 3 years after the Cowboys wisely let him walk. They could have been on the hook with him like they were with Marion Barber. Paying for a player that wasn't even in the league anymore.

Murray 934 att 4526 yds 28 TDs 1200 receiving 1 TD (remember that TD? Skins?)
Elliott 868 att 4048 yds 28 TDs 1199 receiving 6 TDs

Similar Stats. Although Murray's are over 4 years, he wasn't used as much his rookie year and only had about 500 yards. They are doing the same thing with Zeke. Running him into the ground. He will blow by Murray's carry totals easily this coming year. They've been lucky he's been so durable. There is nobody behind him. The smart move may be franchising him for a year possibly, and then say adios.
I think a Todd Gurley deal would be a smart move. At most Zeke has 4 years in his prime left in him if that. So if we extend him now it would be a great move rather than waiting until next season and having him signed passed his prime on the back end of his contract.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Exactly why I say go ahead and extend him NOW if he's your future. Let's not waste two years of wear and tear on 5th-year option and tag. Extend him now with optional 3-year out. That way in three years, he still only what 27-28? We can decide at that time whether to move on of the rest of his deal year-by-year.

I understand your thinking Hawk, but to put that into perspective. You are suggesting essentially a three year deal, correct?

Currently Zeke is under contract for:
Next year-1
5th year option-2
Possible FT-3

Why do you want him to take up much much more cap space for the same three year period? What's the positive for the team?

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I understand your thinking Hawk, but to put that into perspective. You are suggesting essentially a three year deal, correct?

Next year-1
5th year option-2
Possible FT-3

Why do you want him to take up much much more cap space for the same three year period? What's the positive for the team?

I'm saying sign him to a 5-year deal NOW with 3 years guarantee whatever his market value ( guessing close to Gurley ). This way, we would have paid all his guaranteed money by the time he's still only 27-28. We can then decide whether to let him walk or continue with the last two years.

I'm 100% confidence if you poll every defensive coordinator in the league about the centerpiece of our offense, all 31 would say Zeke. In fact, just me, but I honestly as of today this offense can survive without Dak before Zeke, especially considering we are certified, run-first team.

Just me, but I think this whole issue about paying Zeke or Dak is being blown out proportion coz offseason and social media. I think season Jerry and Stephen are more excited about this team than they've been in a long time and are looking forward to buliding the offense around Cooper, Zeke and Dak.

conner01

Reaction score
That would be idiotic. More fear from the "men" these days.

Zeke is 23 years old. He's one of the greats the position has seen over the last 20 years. He's nothing like DeMarco Murray, who I campaigned for not bringing back.

Not only should they extend Elliott, they should do it this offseason. Give him a new deal that takes him to 30 years of age. It would be one of the safest contracts in the league as only an unforeseen injury would give you buyers remorse.
If they want to extend him this is the time
Then you can move on when he’s 28 or so and wore out
Zeke is a special back but he’s putting on the miles. Do it now and you get the best of the player without paying him when he’s done

conner01

Reaction score

Next year-1
5th year option-2
Possible FT-3

He won’t play here 3 mote years without an extension. These guys know that with the miles we put on a back by 30 they are gonna be home watching games
And the money may not be all that more than a 5th yr option and FT

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He won’t play here 3 mote years without an extension. These guys know that with the miles we put on a back by 30 they are gonna be home watching games

Then you let him go. 5th year option and a franchise tag is good money for an RB

DuncanIso

Reaction score
We should resign Zeke but not this off-season and most likely not next off-season either. If he wants to told out i would trade him and i know that won't be popular but that's exactly what should be done. While he won't bring 5 first round picks that trade could have a Walker type impact for the future.

No.

No.

DuncanIso

Reaction score

Next year-1
5th year option-2
Possible FT-3

B/C Zeke will hold out soon . The Rams paid their RB more than Zeke. What Dallas is paying Zeke will not work.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Zeke is and has been the main mover and shaker of the C'boys offense.

Not only will he get extended but he'll get another running mate as well.

jnday

Reaction score
A position where players wear down quicker than others, a position that is devalued in the league, a position where these "elite" players don't retire with super bowl rings.

There's very little reason to be extending Zeke. Franchise tag him, maybe a couple times, and move on. He's an RB, not a QB, not a pass rusher, not a top 3 offensive lineman.
He is also the whole offense. Without him, Dallas is a four win team.

cern

Reaction score
Seek is to the current cowboys as Emmett was to the 90's version.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I ran some preliminary numbers and it may be better cap wise to extend Zeke now

He is due 4m this year, 10m next on the 5th year and 12m on the FranTag in 2021
His cap hits will be 8m, 10m and 12m with 0 gtds since he was suspended

With a new 5/75m extension with 30m gtds his deal would be
20m signing bonus
1m base this year for a 5m cap hit + the 4m hit from his rookie deal for 9m total
3m base in 2020 with a 8m cap hit
6m base in 2021 with a 10m cap hit......this would end all gtds

10m base in 2022 with a 14m cap hit...........this would start the team options.....8m Dead Money
17m in 2023.....4m in Dead Money
18m in 2024

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Cap Hits going year to year......0m gtd
2019.............8m
2020............10m
2021............12m
2022.............FA

Cap Hits with 5/75m extension.......30m gtd
2019.............9m
2020.............8m
2021............10m
2022.............14m
2023.............21m
2024.............18m

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Might not be a popular thing to talk about. But might be the smart thing to do. The Cowboys made that absolute right decision not to resign DeMarco Murray fresh off an 1800 yard season. He was the 4th best player in the league at the time, according to the top 100 players. He was also a 3rd round 71st player taken in the draft. Solid RB's can be found in the later rounds.

He also lasted only 3 years after the Cowboys wisely let him walk. They could have been on the hook with him like they were with Marion Barber. Paying for a player that wasn't even in the league anymore.

Murray 934 att 4526 yds 28 TDs 1200 receiving 1 TD (remember that TD? Skins?)
Elliott 868 att 4048 yds 28 TDs 1199 receiving 6 TDs

Similar Stats. Although Murray's are over 4 years, he wasn't used as much his rookie year and only had about 500 yards. They are doing the same thing with Zeke. Running him into the ground. He will blow by Murray's carry totals easily this coming year. They've been lucky he's been so durable. There is nobody behind him. The smart move may be franchising him for a year possibly, and then say adios.

Yep, let him play out his 5 years franchise him twice if need be and see ya. 7 years and done. Give me a first and 2nd rounder and you can take him now.