Should Dallas not extend Zeke?

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
For anyone in the not extend camp...
Look at the difference between a guy like McFadden finishing in the top 4 in rushing yards for the year for us and zeke finishing leading the league 2/3 times and should’ve been 3/3 without Goodells legal hard on.

The difference is clear.

You can get 2 backs that can get that kind of production. McFadden was nothing special.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He is also the whole offense. Without him, Dallas is a four win team.

No they are not - and there is absolutely very little to prove that Zeke is the reason we win.

This thing that we shouldn't get rid of Zeke, rather than changing our philosophy on offense, is ridiculous. Zeke is not valuable enough to stay stuck in a stagnated offense.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
:lmao:
I17uOOn.jpg

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
B/C Zeke will hold out soon . The Rams paid their RB more than Zeke. What Dallas is paying Zeke will not work.

Then let him hold out.

Yes.. Gurley gets paid more than Zeke...

Zeke is getting paid #4 overall money, that should work for him. If not let him hold out.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Exactly why I say go ahead and extend him NOW if he's your future. Let's not waste two years of wear and tear on 5th-year option and tag. Extend him now with optional 3-year out. That way in three years, he still only what 27-28? We can decide at that time whether to move on of the rest of his deal year-by-year.

You do realize that makes absolutely no sense at all?

If worrying about getting out is your concern then you simply let him play out his contract and then tag him.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
You do realize that makes absolutely no sense at all?

If worrying about getting out is your concern then you simply let him play out his contract and then tag him.
Then you have an unhappy player that most likely challenge team chemistry. My point is as we all know, running back's effective cycle is short. If you have every intention of giving him a 2nd contract, why wait until he's added two extra years of wear and tear.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Then you have an unhappy player that most likely challenge team chemistry. My point is as we all know, running back's effective cycle is short. If you have every intention of giving him a 2nd contract, why wait until he's added two extra years of wear and tear.
I ran the numbers and they are the same either way.... if it makes Zeke happy then give him the extension

Cap Hits going year to year......0m gtd
2019.............8m
2020............10m
2021............12m
2022.............FA

Cap Hits with 5/75m extension.......30m gtd
2019.............9m
2020.............8m
2021............10m
2022.............14m...........8m Dead Money
2023.............21m...........4m Dead Money
2024.............18m

Daktozekecoop

Reaction score
No, of course not.
Unless we want to go from a super bowl contender to a 5-11 or 6-10 team.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
I ran the numbers and they are the same either way.... if it makes Zeke happy then give him the extension

Cap Hits going year to year......0m gtd
2019.............8m
2020............10m
2021............12m
2022.............FA

Cap Hits with 5/75m extension.......30m gtd
2019.............9m
2020.............8m
2021............10m
2022.............14m...........8m Dead Money
2023.............21m...........4m Dead Money
2024.............18m

Gurley's numbers below .......compare to your projected Zeke numbers
The Los Angeles Rams on Tuesday announced a contractextension for Pro Bowl running back Todd Gurley that is set to keep him under contract through 2023. It is reportedly a four-year, $60 million deal that includes $45 million in guarantees and a signing bonus of $20 million.Jul 25, 2018

kskboys

Reaction score
Lack of a homerun ability from an RB that is supposedly the "MVP" of this team and built around the run certainly is how you should evaluate Elliott.

The lack of long TD runs, or just long runs in general, is alarming. Elliott doesn't have that same burst he had his rookie season and it's something to look out for.
Yes, however the most important trait of a RB is the ability to consistently gain positive yards; the ability to create yards. We need EZ to move the chains, and that's what he does extremely well.

kskboys

Reaction score
This guy is a team leader. He has been a handful to handle. This season he seem to take his career and off the field behavior seriously. I agree if you're going to extend Zeke you need to do it while he is young. Front load the contract this way when his skills demise you can get from under the contract.
I haven't seen any evidence that EZ is a team leader.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I agree that RBs can, and are, found later sometimes.
I also agree that you really have to be careful with how much you pay backs later in their careers.
But, Demarco Murray was never close to be the 4th best player in the entire league. Those NFL.com top 100 lists are a total joke
And Zeke is a whole different animal than Murray. Dude is built to last.
But he is going to need to start thinking more about his body--less partying and more proper diet. That's how the guys that last usually pull it off now days.
Also needs to avoid unnecessary hits.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You don't need to give him a second contract to get through his prime years. We could get him to when he's around 26 years old without giving him a second contract, and I can tell you now, he won't be the same player by then.

He'll be one of the best backs in football until he is 28 or 29 at a minimum.

Just pay him and get it over with. We didn't use a top 5 pick just to let him walk after his rookie deal is over.

He's lead the league in rushing 2 of the last 3 years with predictable playcalling and a poor passing game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Murray's biggest issue was injuries, he certainly had the ability as a runner and receiver to be one of the best. He was one of the best in 2014, people criticized him saying it was all the offensive line - while I agree that certainly helped, he led the league that year in yards after contact.

Murray could've had a much better career earlier on but Garrett saw to it that he didn't.

That was the main reason Garrett had the playcalling stripped from him. Our offenses got way too pass happy and Linehan fixed that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Makes me truly wonder what could’ve been with romo and 21. All they ever had was that one handoff

It's a shame we never got to see it.

Whats even worse is we haven't taken advantage of Daks rookie deal either.

JayNovacek84

Reaction score
We absolutely MUST sign Zeke, in my eyes he is the best all round back in the league who is hitting the peak of his career. He is integral to just about everything we do on offense and I would be absolutely gutted if he went to another team.