Should Dallas not extend Zeke?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Yes, however the most important trait of a RB is the ability to consistently gain positive yards; the ability to create yards. We need EZ to move the chains, and that's what he does extremely well.

While not getting us points. Again, our offense is built around the run...he doesn't get us enough points for a guy touching the ball nearly 400 times a season.

Not good enough.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
He'll be one of the best backs in football until he is 28 or 29 at a minimum.

Just pay him and get it over with. We didn't use a top 5 pick just to let him walk after his rookie deal is over.

He's lead the league in rushing 2 of the last 3 years with predictable playcalling and a poor passing game.

You don't need to give him a contract to keep him here until he's about 27.

He's the leading rusher because of the amount of carries he gets. That's it. He's not doing anything extraordinary here.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Neither do anemic offenses with no dynamic threat.

Show me the last team with an elite WR and RB that won a Super Bowl in the past 10-15 years.

How did your Steelers do with Brown and Bell? Your trophy case is starting to get a bit dusty and will look like the Cowboys shortly.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Show me the last team with an elite WR and RB that won a Super Bowl in the past 10-15 years.

How did your Steelers do with Brown and Bell? Your trophy case is starting to get a bit dusty and will look like the Cowboys shortly.

So by your logic the minute you have a WR or RB that approaches elite status - you should get rid of him? That's brilliant.

The Steelers are just pacing themselves. They've been to a SB in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s & 10s. They'll just make sure they get to one in the next 10 years.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So by your logic the minute you have a WR or RB that approaches elite status - you should get rid of him? That's brilliant.

The Steelers are just pacing themselves. They've been to a SB in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s & 10s. They'll just make sure they get to one in the next 10 years.

I avoid elite RBs because, again, it shows they aren't a factor when it comes to Super Bowls. Neither are elite diva WRs. Brown gets 100+ catches a year, Bell was pretty much a lock for 1,000 yards rushing and big receiving yards when he wasn't a knucklehead yearly - and you haven't got back to the Super Bowl. I care about elite player contracts in the cap era, I'd much rather be using the money elite RBs and WRs get to build a defense that is ranked high in important categories at years end.

The time for the Steelers is running out - Big Ben is on his last leg, Bell is gone, Brown may be gone soon enough - and you know what, I bet Big Ben doesn't miss a single beat without them. Steelers haven't got back and won a Super Bowl because their D hasn't reached the level it was from 2004-2010. That's a simple fact.

You win Super Bowls having an elite or great QB, a solid offensive line, and an elite defense. Steelers have two of those things and some flashy loudmouths at skill positions and you end up losing to bad teams like the Raiders.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Murray could've had a much better career earlier on but Garrett saw to it that he didn't.

That was the main reason Garrett had the playcalling stripped from him. Our offenses got way too pass happy and Linehan fixed that.

Yep.

I jut looked up his stats real quick:

2011: played 13 games, started 7. 164 carries (12.6 carries/game), 897 yards, 5.5 YPC
2012: played 13 games. 161 carries (16/game), 663 yards, 4.1 YPC
2013: played 14 games. 217 carries (15.5/game), 1121 yards on 5.2 YPC

So Murray was kicking butt, he was just on a team that ran way too little. 15 freaking carries a game for '12 and '13 is a joke.

CPanther95

Reaction score
I avoid elite RBs because, again, it shows they aren't a factor when it comes to Super Bowls. Neither are elite diva WRs. Brown gets 100+ catches a year, Bell was pretty much a lock for 1,000 yards rushing and big receiving yards when he wasn't a knucklehead yearly - and you haven't got back to the Super Bowl. I care about elite player contracts in the cap era, I'd much rather be using the money elite RBs and WRs get to build a defense that is ranked high in important categories at years end.

The time for the Steelers is running out - Big Ben is on his last leg, Bell is gone, Brown may be gone soon enough - and you know what, I bet Big Ben doesn't miss a single beat without them. Steelers haven't got back and won a Super Bowl because their D hasn't reached the level it was from 2004-2010. That's a simple fact.

You win Super Bowls having an elite or great QB, a solid offensive line, and an elite defense. Steelers have two of those things and some flashy loudmouths at skill positions and you end up losing to bad teams like the Raiders.

Not sure of your point but apparently because the Steelers haven't won a SB in 10 years, the Cowboys should dump Zeke.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Not sure of your point but apparently because the Steelers haven't won a SB in 10 years, the Cowboys should dump Zeke.

...I am using an example that will hit home for you. Something you should be aware of, but I get people from PA/Pittsburgh, I used to live there - you folks are stubborn.

This goes for any team - again, patterns in the NFL mean something. There is good reason why in the modern NFL era that elite RBs and WRs don't win Super Bowls. I can, however, point to multiple great/elite QBs and defensive players that have won it all.

CPanther95

Reaction score
..There is good reason why in the modern NFL era that elite RBs and WRs don't win Super Bowls.

Maybe if you tell me what that good reason is, it might make more sense.

Was Amari Cooper good enough in 2018 to dump, or do you give him another year?

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Maybe if you tell me what that good reason is, it might make more sense.

Was Amari Cooper good enough in 2018 to dump, or do you give him another year?

Prescott, Zeke, and Cooper could by the end of next season, combined, be taking up 60+ mil of our cap space. Couple that with our offensive lineman and this is too much for one side of the football when we have defensive players to be singed soon enough.

We also have the safety position and the DT position to patch along with some better depth on the defensive side of the ball. IF, and we will, keep Dak, the only way Dak is getting anywhere close to the Super bowl victory outside of his dreams is if he has an absolute dominant defense. Zeke and Cooper aren't doing this, and better QBs in this league have had great WRs and RBs around them and haven't gotten to the big dance.

Cooper was an inconsistent WR last year - he'll have a 100+ yard game with a stretch of 30 yard games before flashing again. He's a borderline #1 that we will end up overpaying because our dopey owner thought it was a genius idea to give up a first round pick before...even though he busted out with the very team that gave up a first for him.

I would let another team sign Cooper for whatever he wants, which I'm guessing, is around the $14 mill range or a tad more. I'd slap Zeke with a franchise tag, and if he wants to hold out, I'd be just fine with that while entertaining trade offers.

CPanther95

Reaction score
Prescott, Zeke, and Cooper could by the end of next season, combined, be taking up 60+ mil of our cap space. Couple that with our offensive lineman and this is too much for one side of the football when we have defensive players to be singed soon enough.

We also have the safety position and the DT position to patch along with some better depth on the defensive side of the ball. IF, and we will, keep Dak, the only way Dak is getting anywhere close to the Super bowl victory outside of his dreams is if he has an absolute dominant defense. Zeke and Cooper aren't doing this, and better QBs in this league have had great WRs and RBs around them and haven't gotten to the big dance.

Cooper was an inconsistent WR last year - he'll have a 100+ yard game with a stretch of 30 yard games before flashing again. He's a borderline #1 that we will end up overpaying because our dopey owner thought it was a genius idea to give up a first round pick before...even though he busted out with the very team that gave up a first for him.

I would let another team sign Cooper for whatever he wants, which I'm guessing, is around the $14 mill range or a tad more. I'd slap Zeke with a franchise tag, and if he wants to hold out, I'd be just fine with that while entertaining trade offers.

OK, so it's not because he's elite, it's just too expensive.

The Steelers aren't really a good example because they never gave Bell a long term contract.

And for the record, I haven't lived in the Pittsburgh area since I was 4 (1968-1969). So if you spent more than a year there more recent than that, you probably picked up more of that stubbornness characteristic than I did. ;)

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
That would be idiotic. More fear from the "men" these days.

Zeke is 23 years old. He's one of the greats the position has seen over the last 20 years. He's nothing like DeMarco Murray, who I campaigned for not bringing back.

Not only should they extend Elliott, they should do it this offseason. Give him a new deal that takes him to 30 years of age. It would be one of the safest contracts in the league as only an unforeseen injury would give you buyers remorse.

This is what I think. Give him a deal until he is 30. At age 30 let him walk since that is usually when backs hits the age wall.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elliott is the best player on the team, not just the offense but if it was just the offense, they've built the offense around him, it runs through him. The question is if not him, then what other RB? They had to get to #4 to get Elliott, and Barkley and Gurley are top 10 picks. The only other back I would put in their class, Kamara was an exception where he was drafted.

The question is if Moore is the keeper OC, what kind of offense does he want to run and what type of RB(s) is needed for that? One getting top 5 RB money?

The challenge with a top 5 RB is what you saw in the SB, a RB can be negated easier than receivers. And if this OL doesn't get addressed now, doesn't matter about the RB. The offense will not a be a good one and it wasn't a good one in 2018 and Elliott led the league in rushing.

Did the Chiefs need Hunt? The Pats Blount? They change out RB1's almost annually. The Rams are similar to the Cowboys, the RB is better than the QB but that doesn't mean he has to be paid like that.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Then you have an unhappy player that most likely challenge team chemistry. My point is as we all know, running back's effective cycle is short. If you have every intention of giving him a 2nd contract, why wait until he's added two extra years of wear and tear.

Valid point. I would certainly inquire as to what he thinks he should get. If its at least reasonable then that might be the way to go. But if hes asking for 15 million per season I say no way. Personally, I would have no problem trading him. But that would never happen.

Mobinvans

Reaction score
No....you dont cut one of the greatest running backs to ever plat the game...

He is like 90% of our offense

mattjames2010

Reaction score
OK, so it's not because he's elite, it's just too expensive.

The Steelers aren't really a good example because they never gave Bell a long term contract.

And for the record, I haven't lived in the Pittsburgh area since I was 4 (1968-1969). So if you spent more than a year there more recent than that, you probably picked up more of that stubbornness characteristic than I did. ;)

Elite RBs and WRs are expensive LOL that goes along with it. And yeah, Steelers are smart not to give Bell a long contract at this point - and Connor coming in and producing nearly as much as Bell tells you about the RB position.

The great thing about the NFL right now is that you can grab these first round players, like Zeke, and get them 5 years - then a couple franchise tags. The only thing your risk are holdouts/trade requests, which I would have already entertained the trade block with Zeke.