Should Dallas start Dak or Dalton now?

conner01

Reaction score
You either start Dak or the rookie
I don’t get the idea that some have that dalton is gonna miraculously become a great QB at this point in his career
Dalton is a great backup
He was once a good QB but he’s far from the answer at QB
So unless Dak starts you start the kid and give yourself a shot at replacing Dak in next draft

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
LOL, want to win start Dak. How did last year go, did we win? Oh ya, we went 8-8 in a terrible division with DAk so without Dak I think we will be fine!

Great insight, Bennie. I love a deep thinker. :muttley:

Dak gave up a 92 yard bomb to the Jets - their longest TD of the season.
Dak allowed Mitch Trubisky to put up 31 points - the Bears highest total of the season.
Dak gave up over 180 yards and 4 touchdowns to Aaron bleepin' Jones of the Packers.
Dak waited for Brett Maher to miss 10 of 30 field goals before finally cutting him.
Dak had the worst starting field position in the NFL.

Stupid Dak.

Brax

Reaction score
The difference between Winston and Dak is about 19 Interceptions or, to give this number context, a number of INTs that only 2 QBs threw more than all season in TOTAL. You have to ignore a VERY important stat to even make that comparison
The only context that matters is playoffs, on that context Dak (8-8) is as big a failure as Winston (7-9) and those stats mean next to zero. If Dak throws for 6000 yards in prevent time and against the srub bottom dweller teams what good are all those "stats" . You are correct Dak vs Winston if both were in the playoffs the interceptions would matter but with their records it didn't mean swat.

Brax

Reaction score

Dak allowed Mitch Trubisky to put up 31 points - the Bears highest total of the season.
Dak gave up over 180 yards and 4 touchdowns to Aaron bleepin' Jones of the Packers.
Dak waited for Brett Maher to miss 10 of 30 field goals before finally cutting him.

Stupid Dak.
The Excuses just do not stop........

Adreme

Reaction score
The only context that matters is playoffs, on that context Dak (8-8) is as big a failure as Winston (7-9) and those stats mean next to zero. If Dak throws for 6000 yards in prevent time and against the srub bottom dweller teams what good are all those "stats" . You are correct Dak vs Winston if both were in the playoffs the interceptions would matter but with their records it didn't mean swat.

Wins are a team stat, not an individual stat. If we start using wins as an individual stat than I guess the Cowboys need to part ways with Zeke, Gallop, Cooper, DLaw, Martin, Collins, Tyron, because they also only had 8-8 records.

LittleD

Reaction score
Wins are a team stat, not an individual stat. If we start using wins as an individual stat than I guess the Cowboys need to part ways with Zeke, Gallop, Cooper, DLaw, Martin, Collins, Tyron, because they also only had 8-8 records.

Tell that to Brady and Belicheat. Watch them laugh!!!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep. Let's pay Dak $31 million to sit the bench. :muttley:

Jerry didn't bring Dalton in to tank the season. He's 78 years old and just hired a new coach - he wants to win now, Dalton gives him a serviceable back up - Cooper Rush was a waste of a roster spot - in case Dak gets hurt and misses a few games.

They didn't offer Dak $100 million guaranteed because they were bored. They offered him that because they wanted to keep him. How anyone can look at that number and draw any other conclusion is laughable.

As for Dinucci, you start him if you want to hit rock bottom. No way is that the plan (see above).

What did you see that makes you think Cooper Rush was a "waste of roster spot"?

I think it was because Garrett never bothered to even play him....no garbage time or Dak injury. Never saw enough of him to know if he could play or not.

Adreme

Reaction score
Tell that to Brady and Belicheat. Watch them laugh!!!

I guess Hopkins really is not that good of a WR Bob got a steal on that trade to the Cards. Imagine if it had been real stud like Kalif Raymond or Corey Davis who won in the playoffs and therefore outclass Hopkins.

Brax

Reaction score
Stop it QB's are judged on results just like HC's the rest of the cast are all supporting and you know this. Dak get credit for 13-3 then he gets credit for 8-8, the ever changing narrative for some is amazing. Everyone on this board knows that Dak needs all great players around him on offense to help elevate his game to above average, some just will not admit it because of their blind Dak support. The problem with paying all these great and elite players on offense leaves little cap space for D that is sorely needed in Dallas and paying Dak top $ just isn't justified based on his return vs the investment.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Start Dak and have him under the microscope where he so badly wants to be. He'll be his worst enemy trying to prove his worthiness of $40 million per season. :laugh:

Yah, maybe he will choke again and throw for another 5000 yards and 33 total TD's.
You and Dak fans (not team fans) have used everyone of those and many more. Your posts of Daks one man show get old. Didn't you guarantee he would have that big fat contract before July 15th. Dak's 5000 yards are not much better than Jameis Winston's 5000 because they both failed to deliver. That 13-3 Zeke dominated season was 4 years ago, get over it and stop the crying it will be alright no matter the out come of the saga of Dak average. If only Dak could play the Giants and Washington every other week no telling what those "stats" could be.

Bubububububububut..................you and all the Dak fans say!!!! :flagwave::flagwave::flagwave::flagwave:

Dak's 5000 yards are much better because they didn't come with 30 picks............poor little QB challenged troll.

As far as Zeke dominating.............who won the rookie of the year over Zeke? OOOPS!!!! :muttley::muttley:

Adreme

Reaction score
Stop it QB's are judged on results just like HC's the rest of the cast are all supporting and you know this. Dak get credit for 13-3 then he gets credit for 8-8, the ever changing narrative for some is amazing. Everyone on this board knows that Dak needs all great players around him on offense to help elevate his game to above average, some just will not admit it because of their blind Dak support. The problem with paying all these great and elite players on offense leaves little cap space for D that is sorely needed in Dallas and paying Dak top $ just isn't justified based on his return vs the investment.

No that is a nonsensical media narrative used to try to simplify sports to people not smart enough to understand how to critically look at each piece and judge it.

The Saints went 7-9 for 3 years in a row. Drew Brees did not play badly during those years. He was not a mediocre QB during those years. The difference is the Saints got some good draft picks and are contenders once again. Only a fool would think Dak played better in 2016 than 2019. In almost every facet of the game he has drastically improved which is why wins are a TEAM stat. There are not shortage of good stats that can be used to measure QBs so using the worst possible one as a metric seems rather silly and amateurish.

Brax

Reaction score
Yah, maybe he will choke again and throw for another 5000 yards and 33 total TD's.
Bubububububububut..................you and all the Dak fans say!!!! :flagwave::flagwave::flagwave::flagwave:

Dak's 5000 yards are much better because they didn't come with 30 picks............poor little QB challenged troll.
As far as Zeke dominating.............who won the rookie of the year over Zeke? OOOPS!!!! :muttley::muttley:
Your pain is sad and pathetic, 8-8 vs 7-9 so those int mean nothing . But but butt your pink panties are showing Dak troll.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If we still have Dak when the season starts, play him.

But til then, work to trade Dak for what we can get. Bring in another QB. Maybe another. Let them compete. I assume Dalton wins.

The odds of me spending a romantic weekend with Taylor Swift are higher than that happening.

I can only assume the Dalton fascination is a Texas thing because it certainly didn't come from watching him play for the Bengals.

Brax

Reaction score
No that is a nonsensical media narrative used to try to simplify sports to people not smart enough to understand how to critically look at each piece and judge it.

The Saints went 7-9 for 3 years in a row. Drew Brees did not play badly during those years. He was not a mediocre QB during those years. The difference is the Saints got some good draft picks and are contenders once again. Only a fool would think Dak played better in 2016 than 2019. In almost every facet of the game he has drastically improved which is why wins are a TEAM stat. There are not shortage of good stats that can be used to measure QBs so using the worst possible one as a metric seems rather silly and amateurish.
I guess we agree to disagree. While W-L is part of the equation can you really say you would take Dak over Brees, come on.....
https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html

Adreme

Reaction score
I guess we agree to disagree. While W-L is part of the equation can you really say you would take Dak over Brees, come on.....
https://www.footballdb.com/stats/qb-records.html

Of course not but not because of the record. In 2016 you point out Dak was 13-3 and Drew Brees was 7-9. Drew Brees played better that year and was a better QB and it was not close. We have about 40 different good metrics to judge QBs with (even offenses) so using the one where the QB is not even involved in half the plays to judge him seems rather backward.

shabazz

Reaction score
3 years ago? Early in his 2nd season?

in Brees 2nd season as a starter he had two games with zero TDs and 3 INTs. Brady’s 2nd season as the starter he had some really poor games, including 3 of less than 135 passing yards, and 7 with either the same or more INTs than TDs.

A game 3 years ago, just 2 games into his 2nd season, does not define his career, nor would it with any QB.

3 years ago is when a lot of us saw the start of it. Admittedly, he does very well against crap teams, but when it comes to stout defenses and the big state he has been less than stellar.

Nothing wrong with being average to a bit above average, but you’re seeing now why the Cowboys FO and MM haven’t given in to his demands

Don’t take my word for it.....it’s happening right in front of you in real time

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Ok I know it sounds stupid lol, I will try to explain.
If they start Dak, and he has a good season, lets say to the champ game,and lose.
What do they get out of that? Dak will want even more money and short contract still, will they
then give him say 40 mil a year?
And if they do play dak, they wont be picking high, it will be mid round to low round, so no real chance
at drafting a top of the round qb.
They also will not know what Dalton might have done, or what they have in him or dinucci.

So to me it might be smarter to start Dalton and if he isnt able to play good and win games, try dinucci,
and see how he does. if they do poorly, dallas will have a top of the round draft pick in 21 , which could be
good enough to get a top qb prospect.
if they or 1 of them does good, well you may have found your cheaper qb for near future.

The only way to know is to play them at least 3-4 games each or whole season if you want the high pick.

If they play dak but not sure they want to keep him and willing to pay the huge salary he will want,
all they are doing is helping dak sell himself to other teams and be worth more.
If he is on the bench the whole season his value will stay the same or go down.
So even if they think they may want to keep dak, the best thing is not to play him this season.
They could then put him on the tag where other teams can bid, and see what his value is, which is what
many said they should have done this season.
Then they might get him at a decent price, or they
might find out Dalton or Dinucci can do just as well, but at much cheaper price.

But if they play dak they just elevate his price and value , increase interest from other teams,and they
dont find out anything about dalton or dinucci.

And the only scenario that would be worth it is if they can get to SB and win it, but that is probably
not going to happen.

Dak is going to play it safe to avoid injurys, and he cant be a happy person about not getting contract he
wanted, unless he wanted to play on tag all along, which means he was playing with the jones boys and fans
for the whole off season. But either way I dont see him as motivated as he would need to be to get to
and win a SB , which we all should know is not easy.

And I will say Dalton and Dinucci may not be able to handle the reins, but there is only one way to know for sure, and there is a reward of that top 5 pick they could shoot for if they are not good enough.

The jones boys will want to play dak and try to go all the way, but unless they do it, nothing good comes out of it.
And if they did win the SB , I cant even imagine what dak would be demanding then, possibly more than
mahomes.

I think I would play the other 2 D's lol, let dakster cool on the bench, be humbled a little, and then see
what happens in the draft, and then decide if I want to sign dak or not.
so you basically saying lets throw away this season, lets go into a rebuilding mode!!!!after having paid zeke, Collins, martin, smith, Lawrence, signed poe and McCoy, lets just experiment and see how it works out!!! really!!!

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Stupid Dak.
Classic case of cherry picking.

Dak had nothing to do with any losses, eh?

Yes....he of course did. Let's list those too.