Should have traded for a running back

Blackrain

Reaction score
What am I the only one that recognizes that were in a situation where might makes right and we don't have enough of it.

How many times do you have to see the eagles do that push and make teams just eat their dust and get to super bowls while we sit on our hands before it finally sinks in that we are a soft team and need to establish some physical presence. If we ever want to get any further if we just want to be on TV every week we stay as we are

Jipper

Reaction score
No what I'd like to see is Jerry recognize where we are weak and try to make us better.
I would have at least offered a third round pick for Henry and tried to make us better but no we will just keep reliving groundhog Day and getting our *** handed to us by the 49ers when it matters
How do you know they didn’t offer a 3rd? How do you know they weren’t looking at other options? You are just assuming bc nothing happened that they weren’t trying to work the back channels.

Also - I don’t think the issue is the rbs, I think it’s the line and play calling which has been improving.

Right now the 49ers might not even get a home game if they continue how they are…let’s see how it goes against the eagles first

Trendnet

Reaction score
Mark my words it's going to come back and bite us that is if we want to go any further than just making the playoffs.
I'll say it now Jerry should have pushed his chips in the middle of the table and got Derrick Henry.
The teams that can get a yard when they need it and run the ball to close games out are going to be the ones that go deep into the playoffs.
If Pollard makes it to the end of the season I will be astonished.

Jerry went cheap again and we will be sitting home watching our horrible division rivals the eagles be able to push their way and bully their way into the NFC championship game.

Thoughts!!!!
When Zeke was here, RB's were "fungible" and "a dime a dozen" - wonder what changed.

John813

Reaction score
What am I the only one that recognizes that were in a situation where might makes right and we don't have enough of it.

How many times do you have to see the eagles do that push and make teams just eat their dust and get to super bowls while we sit on our hands before it finally sinks in that we are a soft team and need to establish some physical presence. If we ever want to get any further if we just want to be on TV every week we stay as we are

I would of liked another addition to the team for a push, but can believe the players on the block had too high of a price worth trading for or guys that would of made an impact weren't available.. Sort of wish the NFL had some lax rules around the TDL to encourage trades while limiting dead cap.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Mark my words it's going to come back and bite us that is if we want to go any further than just making the playoffs.
I'll say it now Jerry should have pushed his chips in the middle of the table and got Derrick Henry.
The teams that can get a yard when they need it and run the ball to close games out are going to be the ones that go deep into the playoffs.

Jerry went cheap again and we will be sitting home watching our horrible division rivals the eagles be able to push their way and bully their way into the NFC championship game.

Thoughts!!!!
100% agree, brother @Blackrain ! You nailed it.
:hammer:

Jerry is a fool! Instead of self wheeling-n-dealing by unnecessarily overpaying by using a 4th round draft pick on a BUST of a waaay overdrafted 3rd string QB prospect, he should have saved and used that 4th round draft pick to trade for Derrick Henry. Henry would have been the missing piece who could help gain those tough yards, especially in light of our depreciative Oline. Instead, the clueless majority of fans will lazily just blame Dak for any playoff shortcomings.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

Thoughts!!!!
:hammer: ......I don't see Pollard making it either. He's already hitting a wall. How this front office can't see it is just amazing.

Can already see it coming...Rico Dowdle...3rd and 3...with the season on the line. And that's who your ridding with...

Hell...we have already seen it this year...3rd and 4 vs SF...EPIC FAIL

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
What running back was traded that you wanted?
And that's the thing......i'm looking at everyone that was traded.....Chase Young, Montez Sweat, etc.....it was safeties, DE's, corners. Most of them who don't have contracts for next year.

Everyone had Derrick Henry as a SHOE-In to be traded to the Ravens and nothing happened. I could see if Henry got traded for a 3rd or Barkley got traded for a 5th then yeah I could see getting on this front office but you can't create a trade scenario that wasn't available.

I personally think its a combination of teams would rather use a 3rd or a 4th on a rookie RB and teams wanting too much for their vet RB. If Titans are asking for a 2nd and a 5th for Henry who's doing that?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Jerry is a fool! Instead of self wheeling-n-dealing by unnecessarily overpaying by using a 4th round draft pick on a BUST of a waaay overdrafted 3rd string QB prospect, he should have saved and used that 4th round draft pick to trade for Derrick Henry. Henry would have been the missing piece who could help gain those tough yards, especially in light of our depreciative Oline. Instead, the clueless majority of fans will lazily just blame Dak for any playoff shortcomings.
The logic doesn't make sense though. Complain about trading for a young quarterback but encourage them to waste a 4th round pick on a one year rental for a 30 year old running back who's on the downside of his career when you don't have a offensive line capable of opening up holes? It just doesn't make sense.

Blackrain

Reaction score

You are spot on brother what do we need another quarterback for when Cooper rushed did a fine job in Daks absence and that pic could have been used on a running back that would be used every game and an integral part of our offense rather than somebody sitting on our bench.

Blackrain

Reaction score
The logic doesn't make sense though. Complain about trading for a young quarterback but encourage them to waste a 4th round pick on a one year rental for a 30 year old running back who's on the downside of his career when you don't have a offensive line capable of opening up holes? It just doesn't make sense.
Well if the offensive line shot then cash the whole thing in and rebuild.
But I personally think this is the year to make the push before the offensive line is completely shot.

Aven8

Reaction score
I agree they should have made a trade for a bruiser. But RB’s aren’t worth high picks anymore. Going forward I would like to see more balance between TP and Dowdle to keep TP fresh throughout the year. We need his wheels for the playoffs

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
I appreciate all the input and there's some good justification but when all is said and done we will have to go through the eagles and it very much looks like they can out muscle us.
Just another day with no idea how the Eagles win.

Ho hum.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What is there not to understand bro?

Derrick Henry can still perform. Through 7 games, he has carried the football 120 times for 526 yards, a 4.4 yards/carry average and rushed for 3 TDs. The Titans Oline isn't better than ours. Henry is on pace to rush for 1,200 yards behind a below average Oline. Henry is still a 1k+ productive rusher who has a few more years left in him. Certainly beats wasting a 4th round pick on a BUST QB project who might never be starter material, whereas Henry would be co-starting alongside Pollard right now and greatly improving our rushing attack, especially come playoff time.

Blackrain

Reaction score

Derrick Henry can still perform. Through 7 games, he has carried the football 120 times for 526 yards, a 4.4 yards/carry average and rushed for 3 TDs. The Titans Oline isn't better than ours. Henry is on pace to rush for 1,200 yards behind a below average Oline. Henry is still a 1k+ productive rusher who has a few more years left in him. Certainly beats wasting a 4th round pick on a BUST QB project who might never be starter material, whereas Henry would be co-starting alongside Pollard right now and greatly improving our rushing attack, especially come playoff time.
Exactly brother that quarterback did nothing for the 49ers the whole time he was there Henry has been an outstanding player and continues to be very productive.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Well if the offensive line shot then cash the whole thing in and rebuild.
But I personally think this is the year to make the push before the offensive line is completely shot.
Well I think its a combination of things I think the line is getting older and I think Steele isn't healthy yet. I also think the blocking scheme seems to not fit this unit. They should be better than last year and got worse.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Does Jerry understand that we do have to go through the eagles and they lead the league in being able to stop the run and also lead the league in being able to convert on third down.

Beyond that Detroit and the 49ers are in the top five in stopping the run and we no doubt have to go through them too or at least one of them so how could bolstering our running game not be a good thing to do.

I don't give a flying spit that those other teams didn't trade for Henry they are not in the same situation we are in and maybe don't need him as much but I'm telling you now before it's all over the running game is going to bite Us in the behind.

Blackrain

Reaction score
Sure every time the defense and special teams score points for us and give us a lead we look unstoppable unleash our pass rush and run away with the game.

Mark my words this won't be the case come play off time you will need a basher and a smasher and a guy who can get a yard and finish a game off but what will we do throw the whole thing on Daks shoulders and expect him to pull it out of the hat because he's getting paid a lot of money.
It doesn't matter how much money that got paid he needs help and Derrick Henry would have been the shot in the arm that could have gotten us to the NFC championship game instead they'll sit home and play patty cake with the kids.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Isnt that what everyone said when we curbstomped zeke?

Yes..it was.
Almost every other team out there told Zeke to pound salt. Zeke could only get a low contract offer from a crap team.

Even Dowdle and Davis are better than Zeke. There will probably be 20-30 RBs coming out of college who will be better than Zeke and cheaper.

Yeah, the RBs do grow on trees. The OL are a different story. As Collingsworth said, ‘I can find you a 1000 RBs to run through a hole, I can only find 30 guys to make that hole.’

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

Oh the Titans offense for sure run blocks better than ours and there's no comparison. Maybe there's a argument for pass protection.

Its childish to keep assuming this kid is a bust. Some of you posters on this site...you guys get personal and start to not think logical. If anyone else was 23 years old no one would be calling him a bust but I guess the issue is you have a stance and you are going to ride out with this stance. The same crap the Anti-Dak crowd does on this site.

But whatever, you think he's a bust fine. The Cowboys don't and they saw a opportunity to trade a 4th rounder for a guy who at worse can be a backup QB for years to come.

The part that doesn't make sense is you can get a running back in the draft next year with a 3rd rounder and get him hungry and young.

This team is either winning a ring this year or not but if they don't win it they are not a running back away. We will not sit here and be like man Tony Pollard wasn't enough. Because quite frankly? HE should be. I sat here for years watching posters on this site tell me how much better Pollard is then Zeke and that we needed to cut Zeke. He's gone and now Pollard is having the same issues as Zeke. This run game needs to be fixed not keep pouring money into it unless its on the line.

Its quite clear the Titans didn't want to trade Henry. The Ravens were tied to him and didn't get him. WHy is that being ignored? Because we are the "Cowboys"? We can make a team trade a guy to us that doesn't want to? It was reported they looked at him as a cornerstone guy who they want to retire there.