Should have traded for a running back

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
And I like how we have people defending the 28 year status quo and having the self unaware gal to call US the morons.
I guess this is towards me not sure why you didn't just tag me but let me clarify I never called anyone "morons" I just said trading for a 30 year old running back is moronic. Not sure why your comprehension skills led you there but it shouldn't have.

And i'll never defend this front office for what it did 28 years ago or even 10 years ago. Not sure what relevance that has to this current team but I won't defend it in that regard.

I'm a student of the NFL. There are guys here who know more about the game then I do. Some really smart guys here. But i've studied what it takes to win in this league. You get a real good class on it when you watch your team not win anything in 28 years.....and one thing that I know for sure is one rule in contending is do NOT invest heavily in the running back position and especially don't do it with 30 year old running backs. It just doesn't work. Now maybe one can assume that we are the exception to that rule. But then to me that's closer to the 28 year status quo you speak of. Thinking we know better than what the rest of the league has showed us.

@plasticman is 100% correct. The issue was not addressing this in the draft. Not on October 31st.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Then why didn't the Ravens get him if its that simple?

And they'd be fools to trade a 2nd rounder for him. FOOLS. And y'all know this. Y'all would claim malpractice if this organization traded a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old. That is not how you build a legit contender.

Last I read the Ravens had a deal in place for Henry....Titans GM had the deal and the Titans owner vetoed it. You guys are fixated with Henry but it doesn't seem like he was available if the owner is vetoing deals.
You are right. Much rather have a TE with 2 catches for 14 yards

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
28 years and counting should be self explanatory to even the densest of minds.
Huh? So wait you are of the belief they don't make calls? So them calling about Brandon Cooks last year was a myth? I'm confused by your stance here. Its been confirmed Stephen makes calls lol. He called on Trey Lance....they called on Amari Cooper.....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You are right. Much rather have a TE with 2 catches for 14 yards
You're arguing a point that was never made. I would much rather have drafted Torrence than a tight end or traded for a 30 year old running back.

The answer is not trading a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old running back or a 26 year old tight end. Not sure why it has to be either or. Both are not the right moves.

phildadon86

Reaction score
You're arguing a point that was never made. I would much rather have drafted Torrence than a tight end or traded for a 30 year old running back.

The answer is not trading a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old running back or a 26 year old tight end. Not sure why it has to be either or. Both are not the right moves.
Its what the FO is going to do. I wanted Torrance as well for the record. What I am saying is. The second round is Jerrys play thing. Diggs is he last pick I remember that ended up being a slam dunk and we were lucky he was there lol

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Acquiring Henry would have been awesome, but unrealistic considering the Titans came out and said they weren’t trading him, and they obviously didn’t.

As fas as the Dallas running game, I’d like to see Dowdle get more snaps. He has some pop and can help preserve Pollard for the stretch run.

I’d also love to see us poach a RB from somebody’s PS as there has to be some decent options out worth developing.

Last thought— with more OL continuity and health, the running game should improve. The passing game is rounding into form, hopefully the ground game comes along as well

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Its what the FO is going to do. I wanted Torrance as well for the record. What I am saying is. The second round is Jerrys play thing. Diggs is he last pick I remember that ended up being a slam dunk and we were lucky he was there lol
I mean I get it. I get why they take that approach. The Bruce Carters, Sean Lee's, Demarcus Lawrence's, the Sam Williams and hell even the Kelden Josephs. I get a lot of those moves.

But I for one will NEVER understand their fascination with tight ends....now they wanted La Porta and its worth noting had they did that it would've been a great pick. But even then I just thought we had enough already here especially with Ferguson. And we typically always do. Fasano and Bennett when Witten was in his prime. Hell I think Escobar was when Witten was in his prime too. I was fine with Schultz though honestly I was fine with Blake JArwin too but was wrong there.

Trysten Hill I didn't understand. Jaylin Smith.....I wasn't against taking the shot at him just when they did it.

So if you are giving me the option of Schoonmaker or for Henry I for sure would trade for Henry but the idea is not to waste 2nd round picks. I know its a tricky round because there's a lot of 1st round talents that fall for whatever reason but all risks ain't worth it and quite frankly I don't even consider Schoonmaker a risk I think he will be good I just don't get why they felt they needed him.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I mean I get it. I get why they take that approach. The Bruce Carters, Sean Lee's, Demarcus Lawrence's, the Sam Williams and hell even the Kelden Josephs. I get a lot of those moves.

But I for one will NEVER understand their fascination with tight ends....now they wanted La Porta and its worth noting had they did that it would've been a great pick. But even then I just thought we had enough already here especially with Ferguson. And we typically always do. Fasano and Bennett when Witten was in his prime. Hell I think Escobar was when Witten was in his prime too. I was fine with Schultz though honestly I was fine with Blake JArwin too but was wrong there.

Trysten Hill I didn't understand. Jaylin Smith.....I wasn't against taking the shot at him just when they did it.

So if you are giving me the option of Schoonmaker or for Henry I for sure would trade for Henry but the idea is not to waste 2nd round picks. I know its a tricky round because there's a lot of 1st round talents that fall for whatever reason but all risks ain't worth it and quite frankly I don't even consider Schoonmaker a risk I think he will be good I just don't get why they felt they needed him.
Schoonmaker will be almost 30 by the time his next contract comes up. It made ZERO sense to draft him there.

Blast From The Past

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Not gonna lie I wanted King Henry to do the heavy lifting with Tony Pollard spelling him. Both win-win if it would have worked out. But paramount to our situation was this offensive line doing their job regardless if a trade would have occurred or not. Hopefully they are gelling as a cohesive unit and peak at the right time. Because when your backs can't run inside or outside due to having people in their faces in the backfield most times is a lineman problem. I realize King Henry couldn't even overcome that here. So get this line up to snuff and our existing backs can do the damage they are paid to do.

Einstein

Reaction score
Honestly I think if Pollard were to go down, Dowdle would step up.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Schoonmaker will be almost 30 by the time his next contract comes up. It made ZERO sense to draft him there.
I mean if he came right in dominated I could get it. He's similar in age to what Kittle was....but still. Between the age and the position. I can't defend that one. He's not even in position to contribute like he's not better than Ferg so I Don't understand.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I mean if he came right in dominated I could get it. He's similar in age to what Kittle was....but still. Between the age and the position. I can't defend that one. He's not even in position to contribute like he's not better than Ferg so I Don't understand.
I can explain fairly easily.

Jerry wanted Laporta. Didnt get him. Drafted Schoon. Much like Jerry wanted Surtain/Horn and drafted Joseph.

They are never proactive in FA so they are forced to draft for need if a good/great player falls to them in the first and they compensate in the second.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I can explain fairly easily.

Jerry wanted Laporta. Didnt get him. Drafted Schoon. Much like Jerry wanted Surtain/Horn and drafted Joseph.

They are never proactive in FA so they are forced to draft for need if a good/great player falls to them in the first and they compensate in the second.
That doesn't make sense to me though. And honestly? I don't even think its a Jerry move. The La Porta one anyway. To me if Jerry wanted Mayer or Kinkade and settled for Schoonmaker? I could see it. But they had La Porta as their highest graded tight end. That seems deeper than Jerry that seems like a football mind behind that.

I think its Shoon's blocking ability that they liked but if he can't be a threat in the receiving game he can't get on the field over Ferguson and I honestly thought Ferg was a solid blocker. Much better than Schultz.

Now Joseph for sure has Jerry's hands on it.

montgod

Reaction score
Then why didn't the Ravens get him if its that simple?

And they'd be fools to trade a 2nd rounder for him. FOOLS. And y'all know this. Y'all would claim malpractice if this organization traded a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old. That is not how you build a legit contender.

Last I read the Ravens had a deal in place for Henry....Titans GM had the deal and the Titans owner vetoed it. You guys are fixated with Henry but it doesn't seem like he was available if the owner is vetoing deals.
I heard the same thing. When I read it, definitely felt like it was personal against the Ravens or something cause the deal was supposed to have been pretty substantial for Henry. And you make that deal 100% of the time when you're sitting on a 30yr old rb whose contract is up and your team isn't going to win that year. So I wonder if another team had offered something similar if the owner would have accepted it.

Pompey-Cowboy

Reaction score
I would have much rather given up our 4th for Henry than for Lance but clearly it was never my decision to make and there is nothing to suggest our 4th would have been enough to get Henry anyway.