Should have traded for a running back

Blackrain

Reaction score
And in my humble opinion our guys that make the hole are getting very long in the tooth and it's time to make a push or rebuild

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Almost every other team out there told Zeke to pound salt. Zeke could only get a low contract offer from a crap team.

Even Dowdle and Davis are better than Zeke. There will probably be 20-30 RBs coming out of college who will be better than Zeke and cheaper.

Yeah, the RBs do grow on trees. The OL are a different story. As Collingsworth said, ‘I can find you a 1000 RBs to run through a hole, I can only find 30 guys to make that hole.’
My comment wasn;t really about zeke.

It was the comments regarding "any Rb" "dime a dozen".

And yes...just as Ronnie and I both (couple others i can't remeber)said last year...fine...get rid of zeke. FIX THE O-LINE and the run game scheme!

About Zeke? He and tony have the same ypc and TDs. :muttley:

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Mark my words it's going to come back and bite us that is if we want to go any further than just making the playoffs.
I'll say it now Jerry should have pushed his chips in the middle of the table and got Derrick Henry.
The teams that can get a yard when they need it and run the ball to close games out are going to be the ones that go deep into the playoffs.
If Pollard makes it to the end of the season I will be astonished.

Jerry went cheap again and we will be sitting home watching our horrible division rivals the eagles be able to push their way and bully their way into the NFC championship game.

Thoughts!!!!
We don’t have the cap.

It’s maxed out.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
For giggles, I saw Zeke name tossed out there as a possible get from the Pats.

I laughed... hard

DuncanIso

Reaction score
The problem wasn’t that we didn’t trade for legit RB. The problem was we didn’t draft a legit RB.
Truth.

We have 23+million in cap dedicated to 3 players.

Two of them don’t even play for us.

LaEl @ 8.1 million

Zeke @ 5 million

Tony @ 10 million

No room for anyone else.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I wish Dallas had traded for a running back but it seemed that Jerry wasn't lying and the market wasn't there.

I think Henry would certainly help but he isn't going to fix things when the RB's are getting hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Its not like Henry would have guaranteed a super bowl and if the cost for him would have been a first or something, no thank you.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I wish Dallas had traded for a running back but it seemed that Jerry wasn't lying and the market wasn't there.

I think Henry would certainly help but he isn't going to fix things when the RB's are getting hit 2 yards behind the line of scrimmage. Its not like Henry would have guaranteed a super bowl and if the cost for him would have been a first or something, no thank you.
No room in our cap for Henry.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
The problem wasn’t that we didn’t trade for legit RB. The problem was we didn’t draft a legit RB.
Yeah. The Schoonmaker draft pick is kind of painful right now. Had John Stephens not torn his ACL, I suspect the howling on that pick would be even worse.

phildadon86

Reaction score
And that's the thing......i'm looking at everyone that was traded.....Chase Young, Montez Sweat, etc.....it was safeties, DE's, corners. Most of them who don't have contracts for next year.

Everyone had Derrick Henry as a SHOE-In to be traded to the Ravens and nothing happened. I could see if Henry got traded for a 3rd or Barkley got traded for a 5th then yeah I could see getting on this front office but you can't create a trade scenario that wasn't available.

I personally think its a combination of teams would rather use a 3rd or a 4th on a rookie RB and teams wanting too much for their vet RB. If Titans are asking for a 2nd and a 5th for Henry who's doing that?
My dude. You can CREATE a trade if you are willing to pick up the phone. If you called Tennessee and said Ill give you a second for Henry they would have flown him to DFW personally.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Oh the Titans offense for sure run blocks better than ours and there's no comparison. Maybe there's a argument for pass protection.

Its childish to keep assuming this kid is a bust. Some of you posters on this site...you guys get personal and start to not think logical. If anyone else was 23 years old no one would be calling him a bust but I guess the issue is you have a stance and you are going to ride out with this stance. The same crap the Anti-Dak crowd does on this site.

But whatever, you think he's a bust fine. The Cowboys don't and they saw a opportunity to trade a 4th rounder for a guy who at worse can be a backup QB for years to come.

The part that doesn't make sense is you can get a running back in the draft next year with a 3rd rounder and get him hungry and young.

This team is either winning a ring this year or not but if they don't win it they are not a running back away. We will not sit here and be like man Tony Pollard wasn't enough. Because quite frankly? HE should be. I sat here for years watching posters on this site tell me how much better Pollard is then Zeke and that we needed to cut Zeke. He's gone and now Pollard is having the same issues as Zeke. This run game needs to be fixed not keep pouring money into it unless its on the line.

Its quite clear the Titans didn't want to trade Henry. The Ravens were tied to him and didn't get him. WHy is that being ignored? Because we are the "Cowboys"? We can make a team trade a guy to us that doesn't want to? It was reported they looked at him as a cornerstone guy who they want to retire there.
You still don't get it. You're defending a project trade for a currently known BUST of a QB who in your eyes could possibly become a future backup QB, but you refuse to acknowledge that 4th round pick could have been better used on a veteran RB bruiser who is still a 1,200+ rusher who could have helped us right now and the next year or two. Sounds like you are the one not thinking correctly but instead basing your assessment on personal feelings and wishful thinking. You are the one who sounds like the anti-Dak crowd.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Fornette was a FA and wouldn’t have costed any draft capital. Sorry ain’t giving away a 3rd rd pick on a 30 year old RB.

We’re getting food production out of Rico. I’m amazed at how people ragged on Zeke and wanted him gone because he cost to much. These same people were ready to bend over for a 30 year old RB rental with a contract and give up a premium pick.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
My dude. You can CREATE a trade if you are willing to pick up the phone. If you called Tennessee and said Ill give you a second for Henry they would have flown him to DFW personally.
Then why didn't the Ravens get him if its that simple?

And they'd be fools to trade a 2nd rounder for him. FOOLS. And y'all know this. Y'all would claim malpractice if this organization traded a 2nd rounder for a 30 year old. That is not how you build a legit contender.

Last I read the Ravens had a deal in place for Henry....Titans GM had the deal and the Titans owner vetoed it. You guys are fixated with Henry but it doesn't seem like he was available if the owner is vetoing deals.

plasticman

Reaction score
My sentiment, along with a few other posters, was that the Cowboys greatest offseason blunder was not drafting a RB in the top three rounds.

Last season they ran the ball 531 times or an average of 31.2 carries a game.

If Pollard gets the ball 20 times a game, then that still leaves another 11 carries per game by someone else.

In Pollard's 67 game career, he has run the ball 20 or more times in 3 games

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You still don't get it. You're defending a project trade for a currently known BUST of a QB who in your eyes could possibly become a future backup QB, but you refuse to acknowledge that 4th round pick could have been better used on a veteran RB bruiser who is still a 1,200+ rusher who could have helped us right now and the next year or two. Sounds like you are the one not thinking correctly but instead basing your assessment on personal feelings and wishful thinking. You are the one who sounds like the anti-Dak crowd.
Its simply moronic to trade a 4th or 3rd rounder for a 30 year old running back. I do not understand this. You guys JUST SAW what happened to Zeke and he's only 28.....you guys know first hand that a running backs best years are prior to 30 yet, the answer was trading for a 30 year old running back. You guys are emotional and not thinking logical. No championship team invests this much money in the running back position and wins a SB.

And what personal feelings am I using? I'm using logics and facts. Facts are in order to build a contender you don't invest highly in the running back position. We've already broken that role with Pollards 10 million franchise tag.

THe Titans owner vetoed a trade to the Ravens.

Contenders don't trade 3rd round picks or 4th rounders for 30 year old backs.

This offensive line can't even block for the running backs they have.

Please explain where the lies are? Where's do I sound like the "anti-Dak" crowd?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
My sentiment, along with a few other posters, was that the Cowboys greatest offseason blunder was not drafting a RB in the top three rounds.

Last season they ran the ball 531 times or an average of 31.2 carries a game.

If Pollard gets the ball 20 times a game, then that still leaves another 11 carries per game by someone else.

In Pollard's 67 game career, he has run the ball 20 or more times in 3 games
Now see this I can get behind. They should've addressed RB in the draft before the 6th. I'm not against getting Deuce still get him in the 6th but should've got someone in the 3rd and 4th or hell even in the 2nd round I don't know what their fascination was with Schoonmaker but its silly.

I honestly don't even think Pollard is the issue with the run game but he appears not to be here very long so I would've drafted a guy and continued the dual role. Pollard for as long as I can remember has always been a dual back. Hell at Memphis he looked more like a receiver than every down back and I think I even read he wasn't even a full time back in high school.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
Remember when the team was supposedly just 1 safety away from the promised land? Remember that "window".

There was lots of debate here about whether we should trade 2 first round draft picks to Seattle, or just 1.

pfffffff..........