Should have traded for a running back

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Except he wasn't. Titans even said they wouldn't be trading him
Henry has been available since the off-season. It was only the last two or three days that they started saying he wasn’t available. I guess they think they can get a better compensatory pick when someone signs him in the offseason than what people offered since they’ve thrown his name out to the market.

ICP

Reaction score
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The fact that Henry would have eaten all but a fraction of the remaining salary cap as well as possibly left Dallas with next to no picks in next years draft made that deal impossible

rambo2

Reaction score
Woulda, coulda, shoulda. The fact that Henry would have eaten all but a fraction of the remaining salary cap as well as possibly left Dallas with next to no picks in next years draft made that deal impossible
You would also need to cut 1 running back and lose the pick that you could draft another one with.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Mark my words it's going to come back and bite us that is if we want to go any further than just making the playoffs.
I'll say it now Jerry should have pushed his chips in the middle of the table and got Derrick Henry.
The teams that can get a yard when they need it and run the ball to close games out are going to be the ones that go deep into the playoffs.
If Pollard makes it to the end of the season I will be astonished.

Jerry went cheap again and we will be sitting home watching our horrible division rivals the eagles be able to push their way and bully their way into the NFC championship game.

Thoughts!!!!
I agree with the sentiment. It didn’t have to be Henry, but I do think if we’re going to be serious about the run, another quality back would have helped.

Reaction score
Hear me out here? If Leonard Fournette was able to get signed to the bills, practice squad, and no one else up until when he got signed to the practice squad by the bills 7-8 games into the season is red flag that he may not be good anymore so just to ask for a workout to see what Adrian Peterson may looks like u can only get a workout in and least test the waters and see what he has left.. From his report he put out he can produce right now he said and could play.. I wouldnt mind pollard , rico , peterson .. If the workout plays out well id sign ALL Day to the Practice Squad right now and maybe He still has that juice cause the passion is definitely still there he said

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I think getting Henry for a 2nd round is just "reactive" bargaining. They should have drafted a lineman in the 2nd round rather than schoonmaker. Then they should have used a high draft pick on a running back.

The problem with this team is that their oline play has something to be desired. I think its a scheme issue. The oline should be blowing people off the LOS rather than wait and react approach. It's time we can the zone blocking scheme and go back to what worked for us before.

As for our run game, I blame Jerry for where we are now. He should have known that Tyron was on his last leg and went with Torrence in the 2nd. Drafting Schoonmaker has Jerry's footprint all over it. Blame him for being clueless on how to be a GM in the NFL.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
RB is not what stops us from advancing in the playoffs.
Not backing good defenses off is what stops any offense.

Stout but limited offenses beat poor and most average defenses.

Forcing teams to defend the entire field and good play calling wins playoffs and super bowls.

How do we get there?
(Tonight's quiz question)

Blackrain

Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment. It didn’t have to be Henry, but I do think if we’re going to be serious about the run, another quality back would have helped.
Yes exactly if we made a legitimate effort and offer and Henry was unattainable yes another quality running back is a big need in my opinion throwing all this in Pollard's lap after his injury at the end of last year and some gadget guys is too much of a roll of the dice for me.
But then again I would like to see us go further than just making the playoffs

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Mark my words it's going to come back and bite us that is if we want to go any further than just making the playoffs.
I'll say it now Jerry should have pushed his chips in the middle of the table and got Derrick Henry.
The teams that can get a yard when they need it and run the ball to close games out are going to be the ones that go deep into the playoffs.
If Pollard makes it to the end of the season I will be astonished.

Jerry went cheap again and we will be sitting home watching our horrible division rivals the eagles be able to push their way and bully their way into the NFC championship game.

Thoughts!!!!

Could have gone better and cheap just by bringing another veteran into camp.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Yes exactly if we made a legitimate effort and offer and Henry was unattainable yes another quality running back is a big need in my opinion throwing all this in Pollard's lap after his injury at the end of last year and some gadget guys is too much of a roll of the dice for me.
But then again I would like to see us go further than just making the playoffs
You're somewhat focusing on the 49er's game, which was lost because we hadnt planned or could adapt to the press defense (when we probably expected the 4 man rush/zonal defense). If we continued to leave Dak in the pocket and TP between the hashes then yes it was a problem......but we've evolved which will force defenses to re-evaluate their approach to stack the box.

If we're looking at a power RB who's to say we're not planning on using Lupke. Im more concerned with scheming and predictability (especially the 9ers game) than I am of ground game personnel.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Stockpiling RBs like CBs should be the norm, but not in Dallas. They like their cute late round loyalty picks.