Should have traded for a running back

Blackrain

Reaction score
How do you know they didn’t offer a 3rd? How do you know they weren’t looking at other options? You are just assuming bc nothing happened that they weren’t trying to work the back channels.

Also - I don’t think the issue is the rbs, I think it’s the line and play calling which has been improving.

Right now the 49ers might not even get a home game if they continue how they are…let’s see how it goes against the eagles first
That's fair if we beat the eagles in their house and can run the ball on them I stand corrected we are fine.

If we take a beat down can't run the ball and our run all over by their team I stick by my gut feeling

Blackrain

Reaction score
The problem wasn’t that we didn’t trade for legit RB. The problem was we didn’t draft a legit RB.
That is a thousand percent true we wasted another pic on a tight end when we needed a running back.
Unfortunately at this point that is water under the bridge and getting Henry at the trade deadline would be damaged control

Blackrain

Reaction score
Why do you guys think they didn't make any calls for running backs lol?
I guess before I hear it come from one of the talking heads on the NFL channel that we are in the market or trying to get a running back the we like our guys mantra just echoes in My Head

vlad

Reaction score
our line just needs to block consistently - they've sucked all year in that regard.

Blackrain

Reaction score
I just don't understand how everybody forgot how to block all of a sudden we got pro bowlers future Hall of famers. Steel used to play great. Tyler Smith played great last year.

In years past offensive lines love to run block don't know what exactly has happened.

_sturt_

Reaction score
1. Nick Eatman made the point I almost always make after any trade deadline, except for those where the player we were targeting got traded and it's explicitly known, then, what the other team was willing to take.... which is... we don't know with any certainty what price was being demanded for whatever difference maker one is hoping to get.

2. I'm suddenly a little less concerned because my main worry was Pollard and Dowdle being able to pass protect adequately... and I thought a consequence of that was going to be we'd need to use Leupke more than he might be ready for, and even at that, he didn't so impress on that element that his praises were being sung coming out of training camp.

I'm persuaded Pollard and Dowdle are adequate.

3. To the issue of average yards per rushing attempt... that's not a RB concern, that's an O-line concern. Pollard's ability has been regarded for the last two years as among the best in the league in that respect. Dowdle isn't a household name, but dang, he's good with the potential to be really good.

They need better wider gaps to run through more times than they've been given by the guys up front. It's as simple as that. Heck, I still think Deuce is a victim of our O-line's underachieving performance more than it is his own capabilities.

4. Just a throw-in... I'm going to take a lot of crap for bringing it up if it happens and he makes mistakes... or that I was the first to suggest it will get mostly overlooked if it happens, and turns out he's 3/4 Refrigerator Perry and 1/4 Walter Payton... or, it just won't happen and I'll eventually shut up... :D ...

But our new jumbo-sized gunner might be worth a look in a whole other role... short yardage and goal line duties. :)

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mark my words it's going to come back and bite us that is if we want to go any further than just making the playoffs.
I'll say it now Jerry should have pushed his chips in the middle of the table and got Derrick Henry.
The teams that can get a yard when they need it and run the ball to close games out are going to be the ones that go deep into the playoffs.
If Pollard makes it to the end of the season I will be astonished.

Jerry went cheap again and we will be sitting home watching our horrible division rivals the eagles be able to push their way and bully their way into the NFC championship game.

Thoughts!!!!
We don’t need any other RB than Henry really:

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Our running game blows. From the draft, offseason until now it's been a weak link.
Unless you honestly "nothing could be done" to rank higher in rushing yards/TDs than 18th.

Jipper

Reaction score
That's fair if we beat the eagles in their house and can run the ball on them I stand corrected we are fine.

If we take a beat down can't run the ball and our run all over by their team I stick by my gut feeling
fair enough - and for what its worth i think the eagles are going to kick the crap out of the cowboys - but i don't think a RB would have made the difference....hope my gut feeling is wrong and the cowboys surprise me....

DFWJC

Reaction score
Not saying it wouldn't have been nice to add another RB, but not sure who was available exactly

Don't say Henry

links18

Reaction score
Should have addressed the position before the season started. But apparently we were good with a bunch of rookies, bottom of the roster journeymen and gadget guys to complement Pollard--even though Pollard is the one who should be complementing. But that mindset wasn't going to change half way though the season.barrinf major injury.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Mark my words it's going to come back and bite us that is if we want to go any further than just making the playoffs.
I'll say it now Jerry should have pushed his chips in the middle of the table and got Derrick Henry.
The teams that can get a yard when they need it and run the ball to close games out are going to be the ones that go deep into the playoffs.
If Pollard makes it to the end of the season I will be astonished.

Jerry went cheap again and we will be sitting home watching our horrible division rivals the eagles be able to push their way and bully their way into the NFC championship game.

Thoughts!!!!
Henry was there.
Wondering what happened?