Should Jason Garrett be fired?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Always friendly.

Remember first that I don't think Garrett hasn't shown any results. The way I see it, he took over a bad team in a bad cap situation after the new CBA and kept it competitive while rebuilding it over the course of three seasons. From there, he's had a competitive team, interrupted by the 2015 injury season. But during that time he's won more games than ~24 or so other teams, despite the rebuild and the setbacks.

Then I look to why the team actually loses games. Yes, he's contributed to a few of the losses, and it's frustrating. By and large, we're losing games because either the injury at QB (2015) or because of the talent not on defense. The Romo thing sucked, but we see that happen elsewhere to other good organizations (see GB this season). I hate it, but I think it's parity.

The defensive talent is another thing. This is where I blame Garrett the most. He messed up two DC hires. And the organization has whiffed in assembling talent around him. A lot of that whiffing has Jerry written all over it (Hardy. Gregory. McClain. Jaylon. Mo.). Garrett signed off on it, so he owns it. But deep down we know there's a Jerry tax to be paid in Dallas by every coach. Now, some of these moves I actually liked at the time, too (Hardy and Gregory and Mo). Oops. But they didn't work out.

As to how long I'd give him, regardless. I'm letting this season play out. Believe it or not, if we manage to get into the postseason somehow, I'd consider it a successful job of coaching keeping the team together through a circus again. That could buy more time. But either way, I'd give him through next season. You're right that at some point post season success has to happen or the program stalls. Even if we bothe know the NFL is set up nothing like college football.

with this reasoning, no coach for the cowboys should ever get fired.

on the personnel front, the cowboys' draft record is actually better than average.

when u count mo's as a failure, he is now a top 10 rated DB, but his problem is availability. i dont think he was frequently injured in college so that would not be a fair redflag.

garrett was good for taking the team from the ashes to a mediocre team, but his shortcomings are preventing the team to take the next step.

he lacks x and o's, does not aggressively address problems like timekeeping, and does not adjust when there are clear issues like marinelli's prevent-approach.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
with this reasoning, no coach for the cowboys should ever get fired.

on the personnel front, the cowboys' draft record is actually better than average.

when u count mo's as a failure, he is now a top 10 rated DB, but his problem is availability. i dont think he was frequently injured in college so that would not be a fair redflag.

garrett was good for taking the team from the ashes to a mediocre team, but his shortcomings are preventing the team to take the next step.

he lacks x and o's, does not aggressively address problems like timekeeping, and does not adjust when there are clear issues like marinelli's prevent-approach.

Not all coaches win more games than the majority of the league. Not all coaches build teams capable of winning 12 or 13 games.

Mo's issue definitely is availability. But it's a real issue. The problem there though, is he cost us a first and second round pick.

Marinelli's approach is not a limitation. And I reject the idea that Garrett lacks xs and os that gets thrown around here all the time.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Not all coaches win more games than the majority of the league. Not all coaches build teams capable of winning 12 or 13 games.

Mo's issue definitely is availability. But it's a real issue. The problem there though, is he cost us a first and second round pick.

Marinelli's approach is not a limitation. And I reject the idea that Garrett lacks xs and os that gets thrown around here all the time.

you handicapped garrett with the FO but then you give garrett the credit for building a team capable of 12-13 wins.
i give garrett of taking the team to this point from ashes, but i think he and marinelli are now an roadblock from further progress.
marinelli's cover 2 and cover 3 base defense seems like something that does not work against good QBs. why are mo and carr performing as top 10 dbs when they were so-so under marinelli and garrett.
if we want to beat the top teams in playoffs, marinelli seems to be a limitation.
garrett's lack of x and o's are often discussed, even by romo who said garrett is not a x and o guy.
finally his lack of adjustments and seemingly-lackadasical approach allows problems to persist. the most obvious why he did not set up a mechanism to handle clock management and how can he allow rodgers to trick marinelli's rotations 2 years in a row.

Status
Not open for further replies.