Should QB's be limited how much they make?

cern

Reaction score
the only time baseball players were worth their money was when they were on steroids.

fansince68

Reaction score
Dear Fellow Fanzone Freaks--- I am so sick and tired of how much money QB's make in NFL compared

the rest of the players on a team...plus it cripples the team from being able to put quality players

at other positions....we have all heard the top 6 QB's who make the most money in NFL were not even

in the playoffs...i am so sick of it...the good teams have QB's that take less so other players can make

more and have a better team...i wish Dak would step up and say...i am only taking 15 mil a year cause

i want and need good players around me!!...but he wont...he will be a money grabber probably

what do you all think????..thanks for your views in advance

sincerely
GORICO
This will be the first opportunity for Dak to potentially have leverage in negotiating his contract. He will swing for the fences. 2019 should be a "prove it" year. If he proves it, he will get 30 million in 2020. If he sucks and or gets injured in 2019 we are off the hook on paying him and in line for the Alabama QB.

sean10mm

Reaction score
And why would the player's union ever agree to this kind of wage cap?

I mean, they wouldn't.

I guess in theory you could get the union to go along with a cap on individual salaries if the overall salary cap went up and the salary floor went up, but I wouldn't bet on that ever happening in reality.

jrumann59

Reaction score
Hard to say with bad QB your team will not win, without a team and a good QB you have a prayer.

sbark

Reaction score
Can put some blame on the college feeder system....their run toward system offense schemes
It's the easy road for wins at the college level, good h.school qb should avoid like a plague
There are very few ready for the nfl
For every Goff that can be talked thru reads until close to the snap, there are 100 Paxton lynches that just won't get it. Then the 1/1000 pat mahomes or mayfield

Scarcity of a product drives up the price...Econ 101
Has dak improved even during the season...yes
He stopped the wild 360 turn to the left, he cut way back on the jump ball spread leg throws with nothing on them, he gave us a few deep middle balls with excellent results ( jarwin, a.cooper)

Will he keep improving...chances are yes
Will it can it be enough to warrant limiting the 24 other players , depth etc around him
....depends on scheme, coaching as we've seen with Mcvay and pederson just the lady 2 years

conner01

Reaction score
You really couldn’t have a wage cap because the same amount of money is going to the cap either way
What you could do is limit the percentage of the cap any one contract eats up
The same amounts would be paid out but would be spread to more players
It’s a win/win for most players and all owners
Right now one player get so much of the cap that it hurts other players ability to earn more so other than the QB’s getting these huge contracts it’s a win for everyone else. It’s a win for owners because one guys salary wouldn’t force you to let those in the middle walk

eastsideboy

Reaction score
Simple. so that there's more money available to be spread around to the other players. he has to represent all the players not just the top 1%. somehow I doubt the guy making a million dollars a year is crying for the guy that's making 10 million. After all how many yachts can you buy. bottom line when you have one guy making 30 million dollars a year and another guy making 1 Million a year in a salary cap league you have a problem

Last edited:

kevm3

Reaction score
So capitalism for the owners, communism for the players. No thanks. Players deserve what the market will bear. If the fo pats outlandish contracts, thats on them.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Every position should have a top out pay. Let’s face it, there is really no need for a cost of living raise every year. These guys make millions. Maybe move the scale up as the cap goes up.

Up to the team how fast they want to top the player out.

You have DE making what QB used to be roped out at. Soon a QB will be making 35 million a year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's all up to each team to assemble their team and put their own limits on what they will pay player positions and if they're too stupid to learn from the best at it in NE, so be it. Belichick has been successful because he has a system of how much he allocates to every position and if he feels a player will push that limit, adios. And that includes the QB. And that especially includes any player on defense that we perceive to be his best player.

When Brady's last deal was negotiated, the most surprising element to that wasn't the amount, which was really low considering he's the best, it was Kraft's comment after the deal was done. He said Tom had no choice, if he wanted to remain with the Patriots. If they'd traded him and kept Garrapollo, no way he gets that deal the Niners gave him because Belichick understands that if he exceeds his self imposed limit on one position, he must make that up on another one and he just doesn't give lip service to Special Teams, he means it. And he's convinced his owner that his way works. He would have convinced me as the owner of another team, I would be all over The Patriot's Model.

These NFL people think it's somewhat mystifying how Belichick stays on top and it is very simple. He is a great judge of talent but even better, a great judge of how much to pay that talent. Somewhere, the mad scientist has his formula locked away but if I was a GM and/or owner, I would dissect exactly how he pays his talent and have at least half the battle won. The other half would be hiring and paying the best talent evaluators on the planet.

As far as what QB's make, I do everything I can to ignore all professional athlete salaries and hang onto the illusion that "it's still a game". They didn't use to bring that crap into the broadcasts of the games and have not made that better by doing so. I am resigned to watching a bunch of millionaires play a sport, I do not need to know or be reminded how many millions.

rags747

Reaction score
No, QB's should make as much as possible. Its like the debates that the Top 1% have too much wealth...Ridiculous.

millennial_legend

Reaction score
It's a business. This is his life. He should squeeze money out of it. He doesn't have a billionaire super model wife to pay the bills. This next contract largely sets his finances for his family for generations.

Having said that, there are advantages to playing for the Cowboys, with endorsement deals, visibility, and no income tax. But I'm sure Jerry reminds everyone of that.
That part is bogus. Athletes get taxed in the state they play in, not just the state they live in or are based out of. So they have to file and pay a separate state income tax for every state they play in which DOES have a state income tax. So if they're based in Texas, they get roughly 8-10 games per year with no income tax and 6-8 games per year with income tax. I'm sure their TurboTax/H&R Block fees are pretty expensive. Then again, their agent probably does it for them since they are generally lazy and sucky at math.

All that said, the feds/IRS should ban states from levying state income tax - the disparity is outrageous in what should be a unitary America.

Pape

Reaction score
When Brady's last deal was negotiated, the most surprising element to that wasn't the amount, which was really low considering he's the best, it was Kraft's comment after the deal was done. He said Tom had no choice, if he wanted to remain with the Patriots. If they'd traded him and kept Garrapollo, no way he gets that deal the Niners gave him because Belichick understands that if he exceeds his self imposed limit on one position, he must make that up on another one and he just doesn't give lip service to Special Teams, he means it. And he's convinced his owner that his way works. He would have convinced me as the owner of another team, I would be all over The Patriot's Model.

Kraft never said anything remotely like that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Kraft never said anything remotely like that.
Yep, he did but it wasn't like a "take it or leave it" comment, more of a comment on just how much they had to spend on the QB position. He didn't mean he didn't have a choice because he did, what he meant was the team didn't have a choice. But I was surprised to read those comments but then again, I don't know when they asked him. The night they inducted Willie McGinest, he was hammered and slurring his words to the point that the two guys on each side of him on the dais were exchanging glances.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dear Fellow Fanzone Freaks--- I am so sick and tired of how much money QB's make in NFL compared

the rest of the players on a team...plus it cripples the team from being able to put quality players

at other positions....we have all heard the top 6 QB's who make the most money in NFL were not even

in the playoffs...i am so sick of it...the good teams have QB's that take less so other players can make

more and have a better team...i wish Dak would step up and say...i am only taking 15 mil a year cause

i want and need good players around me!!...but he wont...he will be a money grabber probably

what do you all think????..thanks for your views in advance

sincerely
GORICO

The NFL can't just implement a rule like that.

It would have to be negotiated with the player's union during the next CBA contract renewal.

The NBA does have Max contracts limits.

It's not just QBs that are getting paid big money.
DE Khalil Mack 23.5M per season
DT Aaron Donald 22.5M per season

There are only 8 QBs averaging more per season than DE Khalil Mack.

sean10mm

Reaction score
You want to legislate how much owners can pay people, when the owners are the ones who legislate how much they want to pay people, and they're the ones already deciding how much to pay people. It's like asking foxes to pass a law against foxes eating too many chickens at once because it gives them indigestion. .

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
If you are sick of how much QB's make.....blame the owners....blame the CBA. The league needs to increase the salary cap. They are making far too much to not increase that salary cap. Can't blame QB's...all they are doing is signing a contract. Who would turn down a Garapolo or Kirk Cousins contract?

And at the same token.....Dak makes less than a million a year. So you have no problem with those guys making pennies in comparison to other players but when its time for them to make money now its a problem?
rocyaice----yes you make some good points...i am not upset at any QB for signing such a contract..who wouildn't?....so yes how ever it works who makes up the rules..CBA and NFL....it hurts the game in the long run..so yes either increase salary cap or limit ceiling of what a QB can make

GORICO

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
QBs getting overpaid is a problem with management, not the QBs.

But I agree that lots of QBs are overpaid. Hence my other comments about having a deliberate strategy of getting by with cheap QBs.
buy buy--- i was thinking same thing...of how to get by with cheaper QB's while increasing other strategies and parts of a team?