Should The Cowboys Call The Jets Again About Jamal Adams

Should The Cowboys Call The Jets Again About Jamal Adams

• Total voters

Daillest88

Reaction score
I like this draft for safety and DT, hoping we land a safety or DT in the first

InTheZone

Reaction score
A 2nd round pick for a young all-pro safety?
front 7 on defense are more pressing needs. Back end safety is not going to fix anything regarding the run or coverage issues where the QB gets the ball out quickly.

Kingofholland

Reaction score
Sign Dak and Cooper, franchise Byron Jones. Then trade him... If the Jets make the best offer and offer Jamal Adams for Byron Jones execute the trade. You have 2 years of reasonable rookie contract for an outstanding player and preserve your 1st round pick to address the dline or corner.

Easier said than done, but always said get Dak and Cooper done so you can make the most of remaining talent not under contract.

Last edited:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Michael, what is your solution to this never ending story at safety?

Going to have to spend a little draft capital.

Spending a 1st on Adams (and I think it would take more than that) would only be part of the cost. Signing him long-term is going to require big money and I do not think this team needs another big contract to be juggled.

If they need to spend a 1st or a 2nd on a safety so be it, but then they have him for a few seasons at a low contract number.

fansince68

Reaction score
Most teams spend a lot of time in nickel defense. If Adams can contribute to helping in the COVERAGE game, let's talk. Can he cover TE in the seam? Stop the run? Handle the RB on the wheel route?

vnick

Reaction score
Dallas doesnt have the cap to sign him

Dallas could make the room to sign him, but still wouldn't give the draft capital.

Delpit had a similar career to Adams at LSU and could be there at 17. I would probably take my chances drafting Delpit and spend the money elsewhere.

cern

Reaction score
A call never hurts. Don't know if it will do any good.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Only if Dallas can snag him for a 2nd round pick given they will have to sign him to an extension.
So we lose Jones who was a Pro Bowler last year in 2018..

then we take a safety in this guy..
redo his contract AND lose a high draft pick..

plus spend ANOTHER high draft pick on a CB to replace Jones at CB?

No offense but that is just a bit crazy.

Jones has been a good to very good player for us on his rookie deal. If the defense is going to improve..

you need to avoid a complete turnover there.

Our DL will be needing alot of re-building with Bennett, Quinn probably leaving and Tank still trying to regain his form.

Not to mention drafting LBers with Lee near retirement, Wolf Hunter recovering from surgery and Smith needing to bounce back from a semi-down year in 2019.

Hang in there..we have a bumpy road ahead and and some tense days defensively to roll with.

Save those draft picks and let's see what we need to do first.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas could make the room to sign him, but still wouldn't give the draft capital.

Delpit had a similar career to Adams at LSU and could be there at 17. I would probably take my chances drafting Delpit and spend the money elsewhere.

At this point Dallas will have a rough time fielding a team next year

MrPhil

Reaction score
No.

It made some sense last year when they thought they were a legit contender on last year of Dak's rookie deal. Now, i dont think you can justify the pick AND the $.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Would you trade Dak str8 up for Adams?
The Jets would probably ask for even more than that.. so its basically an irrelevant thread.

CWR

Reaction score
On the surface I vote hell yeah. Hes worth a ONE all day. But I think he has one year remaining on his rookie deal. Wed likely have to extend him upon receipt.

So Bears safety Eddie Jackson has a contract at 58.4 million, avg 14.6 per year.

With 22 million GUARANTEED.

On the surface thats huge ,BUT its a FIVE year deal. We could spread 22 million over 4 years and either extend or make Adams a cap casualty.

So 5.5 million a year for a stud safety sounds pretty good to me?

Im out of my depth here though, looking at the average per year feel like I made an error somewhere. Help me out guys?

https://overthecap.com/player/eddie-jackson/5698/

speedkilz88

Reaction score
On the surface I vote hell yeah. Hes worth a ONE all day. But I think he has one year remaining on his rookie deal. Wed likely have to extend him upon receipt.

So Bears safety Eddie Jackson has a contract at 58.4 million, avg 14.6 per year.

With 22 million GUARANTEED.

On the surface thats huge ,BUT its a FIVE year deal. We could spread 22 million over 4 years and either extend or make Adams a cap casualty.

So 5.5 million a year for a stud safety sounds pretty good to me?

Im out of my depth here though, looking at the average per year feel like I made an error somewhere. Help me out guys?

https://overthecap.com/player/eddie-jackson/5698/
I'm sure you forgot the signing bonus. 12 million

He's avg 11 million 2020-2022 and then it's 13 & 14 for the last two.

Reactions: CWR

CWR

Reaction score
I'm sure you forgot the signing bonus. 12 million

He's avg 11 million 2020-2022 and then it's 13 & 14 for the last two.

Yeah I read it 3 times but the wording states 22 million, and 33 if catastrophic injury. Doesn't mention signing bonus in addition, or I suck at reading.

Even if you add in 12 more million we are still only looking at 8.5. Seems manageable.

Im wondering if the avg per year is higher to show good faith in retaining the players for the length of the contract.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
People comparing Delpit to Adams are lazy.

I mean............:facepalm: If Delpit didnt go to LSU nobody would hype him like this. Adams is worth our first next year