Should the quarterback position be devalued?

leeblair

Reaction score
Are the defensive players not bigger and faster now? Do QB's throw significantly more often?
Not necessarily. Some, yes. But Dak loves those ticky tack roughing the passer penalties that give him extra yards to keep drives alive that he failed on until the refs stepped in to help him out.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
And the way they are sacked has changed so much- you conveniently left that out.
Nowadays they gently lay the quarterback down and cannot hit them the way they once did. They cannot put their weight on the quarterback, and the whistle is blown as soon as the quarterback is grabbed. And Dak has also benefitted as much as any quarterback on false "roughing the passer" penalties that extended drives that he couldn't do by himself.
(In bold ^^^): You were saying?

932b67ac2e75b32dbdd0493f18d50db7.jpg

STOP WITH YOUR DECEITFUL LIES!

sunalsorises

Reaction score
Not saying I condone this in any way… but it would be an interesting counter-culture experiment if a team decided they were not going to do the $50m/yr qb thing. Draft a 1st round Qb every 4 yrs or so, trade away excess, and otherwise let them walk after rookie deal. Live in perpetual rookie qb pay scale, & build a dominate roster with the extra cap space. I doubt it would work, but it would be interesting to watch.
At some point the model will change. I'm not sure it will get all the way to this but someone will figure out how to win without paying top dollar for a QB. Certainly the model of overpaying QBs like Daniel Jones, Kyler Murray, and Deshaun Watson is not producing success.

Hardline

Reaction score
QB is still the most important position on any football team. Regardless of the rule changes.

They are the only player that handles the ball on every offensive snap of the game. Unless a wild cat type play obviously.

This is where his decisions take note over any other player. Calls the plays, audibles, RPO's. Then reading a defense to make those decisions as well, where to throw the ball.

So no, it should not be devalued. I get the question, because the contracts have exploded, and will continue that way.
However, the play is still the same as it always has been for the basics.
Centers handle the ball on every play too.

Big D

Reaction score
With the NFL going overboard to protect quarterbacks, today's quarterbacks don't have to do as much as quarterbacks in the past did.
Troy Aikman suffered concussions from the hits he took while making big plays for the Cowboys, as did many quarterbacks back in the early nineties and before.
Today the quarterbacks are basically playing two hand touch. Any contact with them more than that usually results in a huge penalty and sometimes a fine.
With the quarterback position being so much easier to play, shouldn't their position be devalued , giving teams more money to spread around to guys who actually do the heavy hitting?
Ways to say I hate Dak without saying it #34,875
It already is being devalued by about 10% of the posters here.
#34,876

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I mean...why overpay other positions that dont impact the game as much?

I think the real GM's have this handled correctly.

Sucks for the Dak haters.

leeblair

Reaction score
Ways to say I hate Dak without saying it #34,875

#34,876
This isn't just about Dak.
The quarterback position in today's NFL has changed so much and it had become a much easier position to play.
Quarterbacks no longer have to fear the big hits that quarterbacks of the past were forced to weather while standing in and delivering passes to keep their team moving.
Overall the quarterback position is now a flag football player, and that doesn't warrant top money.

joseephuss

Reaction score
There were always "passing" teams throughout the history of the NFL. And, there were always dual threat QB's, Warren Moon and Steve Young come to mind. The QB's of old did the same stuff as today with the potential of getting creamed. Maybe you need to start getting with the program.
I never considered Warren Moon a dual threat QB. His rushing yards in the NFL and even in college weren't that significant. He averaged 2.6 rushing attempts per game and only 3.2 yards per attempt in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
I never considered Warren Moon a dual threat QB. His rushing yards in the NFL and even in college weren't that significant. He averaged 2.6 rushing attempts per game and only 3.2 yards per attempt in the NFL.
Young's highest rushing total in a season was 537. Several seasons he rushed for under 200. In 94, his super bowl winning year, his rushing total was 293. Yes, that's 18.3 yds/game.

I agree w/ you, not a dual threat QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Oh, and Moon's highest rushing total was 268. He only had 3 seasons of over 200 yds rushing. Definitely not dual threat.

BTW, Troy Aikman rushed for 302 yds one year, more than Moon ever rushed for!!!!!