Should the quarterback position be devalued?

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Every team has the option to not pay any player they don't feel is worth their asking price. If they choose to "overpay" any player that is their choice.

leeblair

Reaction score
I think you have to break it down to the era. Football as a whole has to be judged that way.

Think about it like this. Take the best football teams from the 60s, and 70s. How many of them would even make the playoffs in today's NFL? Would those statue quarterbacks of the old days look like Hall of Famers vs today's defenses?

Could those receivers back then get open vs today's secondaries? They didn't have but a hand full of 300 pounders in the 80s.... their were linemen in the trenches on both sides that weighed between 250 to 265, 270. You could send today's worst NFL teams back into the 60s and 70s and they would dominate.

Micah Parsons is faster than most of the players in the league from the 60s and 70s.
I think even a 3-11 team from that era would overpower any team in today's NFL.

leeblair

Reaction score
QBs "don't have to do as much"...., because they don't take huge hits like they did in the '90s?

You say this with a straight face and expect to be taken seriously?
:laugh:

How many QBs passed for 4,000 yards last season? How many times did Aikman do that in his career?

Embarrassing take.
Aikman was busy winning three Super Bowls.
And no, the Cowboys would not have been as great without him.

leeblair

Reaction score
Yeah some kinda touch football :rolleyes:

IMG-1770.jpg
Do that now and you get penalized, ejected, and fined.

TexasBoys2288

Reaction score
They should come up with Caps for each position. This should help keep a greedy bastich from eating up all the Team cap space.

Chasing6

Reaction score
QB is still the most important position on any football team. Regardless of the rule changes.

They are the only player that handles the ball on every offensive snap of the game. Unless a wild cat type play obviously.

This is where his decisions take note over any other player. Calls the plays, audibles, RPO's. Then reading a defense to make those decisions as well, where to throw the ball.

So no, it should not be devalued. I get the question, because the contracts have exploded, and will continue that way.
However, the play is still the same as it always has been for the basics.
2 players handle the ball on every play.

Their is a difference between devalue and over value of the QB position.

Nav22

Reaction score
Aikman was busy winning three Super Bowls.
And no, the Cowboys would not have been as great without him.
"What is Dak's supposed leverage?"

"Why don't QBs make less than what they make?"

At what point do you just throw your hands up in the air and realize you don't know football?
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

Flamma

Reaction score
With the NFL going overboard to protect quarterbacks, today's quarterbacks don't have to do as much as quarterbacks in the past did.
Troy Aikman suffered concussions from the hits he took while making big plays for the Cowboys, as did many quarterbacks back in the early nineties and before.
Today the quarterbacks are basically playing two hand touch. Any contact with them more than that usually results in a huge penalty and sometimes a fine.
With the quarterback position being so much easier to play, shouldn't their position be devalued , giving teams more money to spread around to guys who actually do the heavy hitting?
The opposite would be true. Since the QB position is less physical, or easier as you put it, it makes the position that much more dangerous. Making it more valuable, not less.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
With the NFL going overboard to protect quarterbacks, today's quarterbacks don't have to do as much as quarterbacks in the past did.
Troy Aikman suffered concussions from the hits he took while making big plays for the Cowboys, as did many quarterbacks back in the early nineties and before.
Today the quarterbacks are basically playing two hand touch. Any contact with them more than that usually results in a huge penalty and sometimes a fine.
With the quarterback position being so much easier to play, shouldn't their position be devalued , giving teams more money to spread around to guys who actually do the heavy hitting?
so in your opinion, Burrows and Mahomes should be devalued? oookkk then.

leeblair

Reaction score
"What is Dak's supposed leverage?"

"Why don't QBs make less than what they make?"

At what point do you just throw your hands up in the air and realize you don't know football?
:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:
I know more than you will ever know.
You don't want to see it, and that will keep you blind.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Absolutely.
yeah, tell that to the three time superbowl champion in the past 5 years and 4 superbowl appearanes...the other winner? Tom Brady and Mathew Stafford.

geez, where do you come up with this stuff.

and if the QB position is devalued, then you are OK with Dak being the cowboys QB. because after all, QB position doesn't really matter any more....
and btw, cowboys had 10,15,20M in cap space over the past three years. with an over paid QB...

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I know more than you will ever know.
You don't want to see it, and that will keep you blind.
you know squat. so we don't have to go proving that. you have posted nothing that has to actually do with football. just a bunch of TMZ stuff. why? because you have no clue about football. just a bunch of meaningless opinions non football related idiotic statements that have been proven all to be wrong.

so don't go talking about the blind. because you can't even see yourself in the mirror.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They aren't actors. They are athletic and play real football.
It's only when the scoring comes into play that seems to be manipulated- or regulated- by other people.
And I do think some games are allowed to be played without interference. I think the interference only applies when the league- or someone else- feels that there is a specific reason to.
Fixing every game wouldn't be practical, and would be hard to hide.
By letting some games be played and only interfering in certain games it's easier to disguise, and deny.
If you truly believe this, which I doubt because your history is trying to get a reaction, then why would you be interested in following football much less the Cowboys?

GINeric

Reaction score
I think even a 3-11 team from that era would overpower any team in today's NFL.

I highly doubt it. I think you mean the other way around. There are current collegiate powerhouses right now that would trash NFL teams from the 60s and 70s.

Those linemen back then were light in the ***. How would they be able to block these defensive linemen of today weighing 300 plus and athletic as hell? What former great tackle from the 60s and 70s are blocking today's defensive ends and linebackers who are strong as hell and run 4.4, 4.5 forty times?

Back then, quarterbacks were doing 5 to 7 step drop-backs after the snap. They wouldn't stand a chance vs today's defenses. Those tiny defensive lines from the 60s and 70s would get steamrolled vs today's offensive linemen.