Should we keep Rico Dowdle?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Dowdle wasn’t that bad, he averaged 4.1 a carry and showed some power in short yardage. Davis didn’t have a single carry this season so there’s a difference between the two. He would be a downgrade over Dowdle.
Malik Davis' career YPC is 4.2.
Neither of them were that bad, but JAGs gonna JAG. We should shoot for better than not that bad.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
He isn't a bum. A vet minimum contract is good for him.
Veteran minimum guys aren't bums. They're just the minimum acceptable vet allowed to exist in the league.
I'd prefer to shoot higher than the floor of veteran talent.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Effortwise, I agree. Talentwise, major lack.
Try hard PS/Bottom of the Roster talent.
Gotta like the try hard. Don't gotta like bottom roster talent.

My problem with Malik and Rico is that they've gotten their shot and even with Try Hard Mojo, just not that good. We've seen their ceiling, and it's the floor of acceptable backup play.

At this point they're progress/roster stoppers for *unproven* players who *might* be better.

rambo2

Reaction score
Veteran minimum guys aren't bums. They're just the minimum acceptable vet allowed to exist in the league.
I'd prefer to shoot higher than the floor of veteran talent.
They can do that in the 3 to 4 million range. Give Henry a deal with incentives and draft a top back around pick 87.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Malik Davis' career YPC is 4.2.
Neither of them were that bad, but JAGs gonna JAG. We should shoot for better than not that bad.
Davis has only had 38 career attempts and that was in 2022. The more attempts a back has usually lowers their rushing average, just look at Pollard’s average after more attempts. Dowdle has 96 attempts for almost the same average as Davis and is quicker and runs with more power. There’s a reason Davis didn’t get any carries last season. He’s a downgrade over Dowdle and we can’t afford to downgrade at RB.

kskboys

Reaction score
Davis has only had 38 career attempts and that was in 2022. The more attempts a back has usually lowers their rushing average, just look at Pollard’s average after more attempts. Dowdle has 96 attempts for almost the same average as Davis and is quicker and runs with more power. There’s a reason Davis didn’t get any carries last season. He’s a downgrade over Dowdle and we can’t afford to downgrade at RB.
I thought Davis got hurt.

Oh, hades, doesn't matter, same player.

MikeT22

Reaction score
That leaves us with 2 high draft picks to fill LB(2) center, tackle, DT, WR, CB positions.

Is RB more important than LB?
7 positions, three picks over the first two days. As we stand now, 4 positions won’t be addressed early in the draft. Out of the 3 higher picks, we will be lucky getting 2 quality starters and that may not be immediately.

In ‘21 we had 5 picks in the first 3 rounds. 1 high end starter (Micah), one starter who fades after the the first month (Osa), a rotational 1 sack a yr DL (Gholston), 2 busts (Joseph/Nashon).

Last year, no starters and most of the draft basically redshirted.

This year out of those 7 needs, the realistic best chance is adequately addressing by 3-4 in the draft/FA , leaving 3-4 holes or more.

Chasing6

Reaction score
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
Majority of cap space needs to be saved for a DT in my. Draft a RB in mid rounds 3-5.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
Just wait until free agency and the draft.

Chasing6

Reaction score
I don't think we can afford him.
However, the best way for the rest of the league to gain ground on SB teams, is for the rest of the league to go after their free agents and or make them pay more to keep them.

Big_D

Reaction score
Of course.. just fix the line then Dowdle and Vaughn will be all we need.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Henry.. and the draft. That should be the plan. Instant upgrade which will take pressure off the QB.
Beautifully said ,I think that to be a sound move . I have been wanting Henry for a while , and Iike Braylon Allen in the draft.

deerhunter11

Reaction score
Braelon Allen is from Wisconsin. A 20 year old Derric Henry light, 6’2” 245 LBS. Trey Benson is from Florida St and I would compare him to Aaron Jones. Look them up and dream.
Can you imagine Henry as a free agent and Allen as a draft pick , and a better Center. What a difference that would make.And Dowdle has some juice .This running game can be lethal .

Chasing6

Reaction score
Can you imagine Henry as a free agent and Allen as a draft pick , and a better Center. What a difference that would make.And Dowdle has some juice .This running game can be lethal .
You would prefer spending money on Henry over an impact DT?