Should we keep Rico Dowdle?

Motorola

Reaction score
What’s the quota today bossman?
12 threads asking for your thoughts! Lol
That's why I put him on 'Ignore' status soon after the 2023 regular season started.

● It's great that COWBOYS ZONE is a website that provides the opportunity for Fans to create topics about the team\franchise that can be discussed, opined, and debated about freely - but with a few restrictions put in to eleminate too much rancor....yet allow others to participate with frivolous, snarky, and wise-azz comments.
● However ----there are a few members that take advantage of the privilege to constantly manufacture threads day-to-day, week-to-week.
Fan Zone forum page 1 usually list 35 to 40 topics (depending on the thread title length) on average daily\weekly.
If a member has a half-dozen or more littering page 1 - that CZer is abusing the privilege.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I feel fairly confident that the Cowboys will draft a promising RB within the first 4 rounds of the NFL Draft. It's a legit need for our offense. Dowdle is okay in a limited role, although being injury prone makes him susceptible to being cut or traded.

Motorola

Reaction score
They will sign a mid level or lower end RB. With 5 picks in the draft, 2 being in the 7th, and so many needs, they have no choice. Jerry screwed up. 2023 should have been an All in year. The window closed
Cowboys are projected to get two compensatory draft picks:
Fifth for Connor McGovern, 6th for Dalton Schultz.

KeepinTime

Reaction score
The point being you could easily if you wanted one, but on topic RB is the easiest position on the entire roster to fix asap, but that works hand in hand, symbiotic.
The OL needs to re learn how to open up a running lane and I cant believe that I just typed that but its true.
How did this OL forget all of a sudden how to create just a sliver of a running lane?
I ask this question because our RBs seem to always be running into a marsh pit.
Or a mosh pit

McKDaddy

Reaction score
The point being you could easily if you wanted one, but on topic RB is the easiest position on the entire roster to fix asap, but that works hand in hand, symbiotic.
The OL needs to re learn how to open up a running lane and I cant believe that I just typed that but its true.
How did this OL forget all of a sudden how to create just a sliver of a running lane?
I ask this question because our RBs seem to always be running into a marsh pit.
All Pro's baby, All Pro's.
\s

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
Dowdle is just another guy.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
For this team, absolutely it is. We have a QB that struggles against good defenses when the offense is off rhythm. Quickest way to fix that is to fix the running game. WR and CB are fine as is. Chances are slim that we find a DT that will walk in and fix the spot day 1. We currently have Clark, Overshown, and Parsons at LB. Not ideal, but we have absolutely nothing at RB.
we went that route once already and because we couldn't stop the run, giving up 250 yards rushing (let that sink in), lost in the playoffs. give me defensive players any day of the week.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I like Dowdle. He runs very hard and has some elusiveness to him. He’s a tough competitor.

The running backs were not the issue last year. The run blocking scheme was the main problem( we need a new O line coach and a new run game coordinator).
We have scrub RBs.

Tony might not be back.

They are a problem.

glimmerman

Reaction score
He has no fumble history. I think it was a miscommunication. He had one fumble in college
It just looked strange like he was a decoy. If it was a real hand off he would have scored. But he crossed and turned around and started looking for the ball when he saw everyone else looking and scrambling for it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
IMO Rico Dowdle is at best an average NFL back who is only capable of being a role player. As someone said earlier in this thread, there are dozens and dozens of guys like him available.

Put this another way - if we are depending on the talents of Rico Dowdle as a featured RB next year, we won’t have much of a running game.

I think Pollard is gone so I fully expect to see a new backfield next year,