Should we keep Rico Dowdle?

sbark

Reaction score
Luepke should have had ALOT more carrys last year. I know he fumbled. But still not convinced he was sure he was supposed to get the handoff. Looked like he thought he was a decoy. The way the ball went in and just fell out. But he is a good short yardage back.
Cowboys version of the "diesel"...

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Got news for you Dude. Show me a SB champion with a bad run D.
I never said don't address LB. Overshown may be a good player in one of those spots, but we won't know how he's healed until TC. I'm not a big fan of Clark, but Zimmer will get the best out if him, whatever that is. Who knows how Parsons will be played in the new scheme? Lots of question marks that need answers, but we don't have a viable running back on the team....which is why it needs to be priority number 1.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Whoa easy there my guy. I'm not attacking Dak. I'm making it clear that we need a running back. I've supported Dak as much as anyone throughout his tenure, just as I've criticized him for his shortcomings. Frustration can get the best of me. What's clear is he isn't Mahommes, Brady, or Rodgers. He needs a viable run game to really shine. That's fine. Look at what Goff did with Montgomery and Gibbs. With our weapons, we could see him do something truly special. Remaining status quo will lead to failure. It's not a maybe. It's not that he could possibly get by without it. It's a major problem that needs to be corrected, or this team is dead in the water.....

I know it's elementary football to establish a ground game, and I'm well aware that nothing I've said is ground breaking. There are many around here that brush the position off as easy to replace, yet, last year we entered the season with a bad plan and no lead horse to take the pressure off of the passing game. What was the end result? Missed opportunities. We drafted a tight end in the second that did absolutely nothing. We drafted a DT in the first that looks like a bust. There were several questionable choices that could've been the guy to spell Pollard, and potentially take over this year. We could've brought in a number of free agent backs to share the load, yet the only moves that were made were a flyer on Vaughn, and a bargain deal with Jones. Neither of whom contributed at all.

This is not an indictment on Dak Prescott. It's basic football, and it was ignored, which led to critical failures on the field that didn't have to happen. I don't want this to happen again. I guess my thinking is that if enough noise is made, perhaps something will be done about it this offseason...you know, so we can have a real shot at competing for a Super Bowl. That's what this is about, no? Address RB1 and RB2, find a center, bring Tyron back, and find a decent swing tackle and the offense is in championship mode.
I agree with you there they need to make it a priority to get a high draft pick at running back find an absolute stud

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I agree with you there they need to make it a priority to get a high draft pick at running back find an absolute stud
That's all I'm saying. Fix the run game, and almost MVP Dak can make some real noise in 2024. It just feels like it needs to be spelled out, because people tend to dismiss the position due to longevity. Regardless of how long a back is on the roster, it's a critical piece to the puzzle and we still need somebody good to fill the position.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
I like Dowdle. He runs very hard and has some elusiveness to him. He’s a tough competitor.

The running backs were not the issue last year. The run blocking scheme was the main problem( we need a new O line coach and a new run game coordinator).

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I thought they would definitely go RB earlier than they did. The fact that Deuce and Ronald Jones were their answer was absolutely ridiculous.
Deuce wasn't even an answer at RB.
Obviously a gadget player. Maybe a good one. I haven't given up on him. But he's just not any kind of answer at RB.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
We have to hang onto him until we see what happens with Pollard. We can’t lose both backs. We need to hang onto one and draft a back. We also need to look for a back in free agency.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I've thought the same thing about Deuce. His value is a RB/Slot WR/Return Man. McCarthy weaponized Turpin into a WR/RB/Return Man, and feel that's the only way to justify having Duece on the roster.
Turpin is the deep receiving threat gadget runner.
*Maybe* Deuce can be the short receiving threat gadget runner. That's the ceiling I see for him. I'm *not* encouraged that the team doesn't seem to see that. They put him in the game and ran him like he could be a real NFL back.
Besides trying to get the hybrid RB/WR for years, they just don't seem to get it.
For his rookie contract, Pollard was the fastest player on offense besides Coop or Turpin. They threw to him deep *once*. 60+ yard td, most of it in the air. Then never did it again. What is that?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
We have to hang onto him until we see what happens with Pollard. We can’t lose both backs. We need to hang onto one and draft a back. We also need to look for a back in free agency.
Really don't have to hang onto Dowdle. Not that much different from Malik. Both at best just try hard PS players, and now demonstrably so. They is what they is.

We gotta bring in more who *might* be better, then find out. It really should not be complicated to fill the RB roster with better RBs. It's a low hurdle.

HungryLion

Reaction score
He is a restricted free agent. He much means they will be able to keep him for cheap.

Might as well keep him until at least and preseason and let him compete with the other RB’s they bring in.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Really don't have to hang onto Dowdle. Not that much different from Malik. Both at best just try hard PS players, and now demonstrably so. They is what they is.

We gotta bring in more who *might* be better, then find out. It really should not be complicated to fill the RB roster with better RBs. It's a low hurdle.
Dowdle wasn’t that bad, he averaged 4.1 a carry and showed some power in short yardage. Davis didn’t have a single carry this season so there’s a difference between the two. He would be a downgrade over Dowdle.

conner01

Reaction score
Luepke should have had ALOT more carrys last year. I know he fumbled. But still not convinced he was sure he was supposed to get the handoff. Looked like he thought he was a decoy. The way the ball went in and just fell out. But he is a good short yardage back.
He has no fumble history. I think it was a miscommunication. He had one fumble in college

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Why didn't Dowdle get more carries? You have faith in these coaches to split carries or use multiple guys correctly? They didn't do it when Zeke was here and didn't do it last year when that should have been the plan. Considering there was a 99% chance Pollard was in his final season, Dowdle should've seen more touches. It's time to move in a different direction at RB. Pollard needs to go.
Jerry gave Pollard 10 millions reason why Hunter and Rico didn't get as many carries as they should have. Coaches have to play who Jerry tells them too.

Loso86

Reaction score
He had 361 yards rushing, 2 Td's, 4.1 yards per carry, and 144 receiving yards. We didn't know much about him until this season, honestly he was solid, and we wanted to see more of him at times. We can all agree that we need a few running backs this season, would you want to keep him on the team still, or it's time to get some rookies and maybe a veteran running back like we did with Ronald Jones last season?? Please give your thoughts
Yea he ran better and harder than 20

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
For cheap?
It's a no brainer.

75boyz

Reaction score
I like Dowdle. He runs very hard and has some elusiveness to him. He’s a tough competitor.

The running backs were not the issue last year. The run blocking scheme was the main problem( we need a new O line coach and a new run game coordinator).
Truth!