Twitter: SI Breer and Spotrac comment on Dak's 2021 contract

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Can someone tell me why those who dislike Dak refer to him as Dakota?

Instead simply saying Dak Sux

I refer to his full middle name as more of respect to him- i don't hate Dakota the person, I just don't like Dak the QB of Dallas

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Agree but IMO, the injury has derailed any potential value increase from this season. Which is why I said give/take little. Just don't see him coming off IR and getting Watson money. If he avoided the injury and made a deep playoff run ( NFCCG min ), then yes, the floor would have likely been $40M but not now IMO.
The injury doesn't really matter because it isn't long term.

If he had, say, rotator cuff surgery, that's one thing.

Dallasfann

Reaction score
If this offense continues to put up points with Dalton and we win football games then Dak loses all leverage. It's the business he is in. Frankly, I hope our offense gets even better going forward. I want Jerry to have as much ammo as he needs heading into a contract negotiation with someone asking for 40+ million a year.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
The injury doesn't really matter because it isn't long term.

If he had, say, rotator cuff surgery, that's one thing.
I agree but do you not agree if he was still playing and led us to the NFCCG, the value of his contract would have increased off post-season wins? But of course, now there's no chance of any additional post-season play to negotiation .....

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If this offense continues to put up points with Dalton and we win football games then Dak loses all leverage. It's the business he is in. Frankly, I hope our offense gets even better going forward. I want Jerry to have as much ammo as he needs heading into a contract negotiation with someone asking for 40+ million a year.

I don't think that really loses Dak much leverage because most likely Dalton will be wanting $30 million+ if he has a great season as well. At that price point I still think they would pick Dak over Dalton. Cowboys at least have to give Dak the tag or he will just go to free agency. Dak would be able to get franchise qb money in free agency as well (even if it is a 1-2 year prove-it deal).

Dallasfann

Reaction score
I don't think that really loses Dak much leverage because most likely Dalton will be wanting $30 million+ if he has a great season as well. At that price point I still think they would pick Dak over Dalton. Cowboys at least have to give Dak the tag or he will just go to free agency. Dak would be able to get franchise qb money in free agency as well (even if it is a 1-2 year prove-it deal).

I think the Cowboys will role with Dak as well and rightfully so, he has played good enough for this organization to merit a long term contract. However, if Andy puts up good numbers and makes the playoffs it would be proof that Dak has been very fortunate with his role players and paying him Mahomes money wouldn't make any sense when it comes to helping this franchise succeed long term. We need talent on defense and if a guy like Dalton gets you to the playoffs then you have to think long and hard about not paying the QB position top money when it is most likely our defense that will truly hold us back this season.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I agree but do you not agree if he was still playing and led us to the NFCCG, the value of his contract would have increased off post-season wins?
No, I don't agree.

Super Bowl win is really the only thing that would influence it, and even then, not much.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
I think the Cowboys will role with Dak as well and rightfully so, he has played good enough for this organization to merit a long term contract. However, if Andy puts up good numbers and makes the playoffs it would be proof that Dak has been very fortunate with his role players and paying him Mahomes money wouldn't make any sense when it comes to helping this franchise succeed long term. We need talent on defense and if a guy like Dalton gets you to the playoffs then you have to think long and hard about not paying the QB position top money when it is most likely our defense that will truly hold us back this season.

I don't think Dak was gonna get that anyway. I think the contract will be in the range of what the Cowboys offered last year. So in that context I don't think he lost money. The notion that Dak is gonna sign with the Cowboys for $20 million is what I was disagreeing with. At a minimum Dak will get the tag.

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Transition tag so Dak can play the market. If no takers that tells you something right off the bat. Best case we get 2 1st rounders, worse case he leaves via FA and we get a 3rd comp.

Or he can sign a cap friendly deal.

Wait if he leaves in FA and sign a huge deal we only get a 3rd rounder comp?

doomsday9084

Reaction score

If there is one thing that I would hope that both the pro- pay Dak and anti-pay Dak people would agree upon is the fact that Andy Dalton isn't an elite NFL quarterback.

If he steps into the Cowboys and does well, it says more about the receivers, zeke, Moore, etc. than it does about Andy . . . which in turn reflects upon Dak.

If the Cowboys can just plug any QB in and good good results, why would they pay top 5 money? If Andy Dalton does well on Dallas, what would Rodgers or Mahomes do here? Hell, what would Justin Herbert do?

InTheZone

Reaction score
Like it or not , Dak's contract is all going to depend on where the team finishes............If they win the East , why would the Jones boys be inclined to dole out even more money to retain him ?
If they win the east it's because the team and Dalton, not Dak, won 7+ of the last 12 games.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
If there is one thing that I would hope that both the pro- pay Dak and anti-pay Dak people would agree upon is the fact that Andy Dalton isn't an elite NFL quarterback.

If he steps into the Cowboys and does well, it says more about the receivers, zeke, Moore, etc. than it does about Andy . . . which in turn reflects upon Dak.

If the Cowboys can just plug any QB in and good good results, why would they pay top 5 money? If Andy Dalton does well on Dallas, what would Rodgers or Mahomes do here? Hell, what would Justin Herbert do?

I don't think Andy Dalton is elite but he is a good qb. He's likely the second best qb in the division. It's not like they're starting Dinucci. Look at the money Tannehill got after starting half a season.

ondaedg

Reaction score
Right and correct me if I'm wrong but $20 million is half of $40 million (what Dak is asking for). $20 million extra could bring in some elite defensive free agents to help "the worst defense I have ever seen in a Cowboys uniform." Thank you for supporting my point!! Paying Dak $40 million per season and having an atrocious defense gets us nowhere fast!!!

The defense Has nothing to do with Dak' s or anyone's contract. These guys were brought in to play a specialized scheme that Marinelli and Richard devised. They just don't fit into this system. Has nothing to do with Dak, Lawrence, Amari etc etc.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
Ask Drew Brees back in 2006 how he got a 6 year deal near top of the market coming off a terrible injury. : )

He wasnt paid top market, the contract was VERY team friendly and there was an option included after the first year.

The Saints gambled, however, they were fairly certain that Brees was ok as they had the second pick of the draft and didnt go QB.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

If we had Mahomes we'd have a team able to get deep into the playoffs in each of the next 3 years as:

1) He's one of the most talented QB's in football.
2) He's a proven winner
3) He's clutch and when he's needed he performs
4) His contract is constructed in such a way that we'd be able to strengthen our defense: 2021: $24m, 2022: $31m and 2023: $42m

Kingofholland

Reaction score
He wasnt paid top market, the contract was VERY team friendly and there was an option included after the first year.

The Saints gambled, however, they were fairly certain that Brees was ok as they had the second pick of the draft and didnt go QB.

As I said near top of the market. Brady signed a similar deal the prior year which was 3rd. The difference is Brees had less guarantees and an additional 1 year 12 million team bonus option. Manning and Vick were the market setters at the time. The point is Dak could still get a long term contract too with some stipulations. Whether he's open to those depends on if he gets a short term or long term deal.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score
No, he wasnt near the top of the market, he wasnt even in the top 20% of QB's.

If you're equating Bree's pay comparison to Dak, he'd be getting less than $32m (which he isnt going to sign for).

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
$50M per year? :muttley: You funny, dude. Yeah, for sure. Especially when the cap will likely be around $175M next year.

Were you on the agent’s team advising Dak to hold out for more money? ‘Dak, do not accept $35M, you can easily get $50M plus big time endorsements.’

Keep the humor coming, though. $50M/year - you are hilarious. That was a good one.
You are likely one of the people who have been wrong about this oh every week for 3 years now and yet are still too stupid to pick up the obvious... QB price only goes up.

The shrinking cap hasn't prevented positional high deals across the board:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tommyb...massive-contract-extension-week/#70e590247faf

A team can easily pay Dak 50m next year and eat a small 10-15m cap hit. It's the way caps works.

No QB at Dak's level and age has reached true free agency in basically EVER.
It is completely without precedent because teams aren't utterly stupid.
BUT if the insane happened Dak would sign a MONSTER deal.
Now while you mouth breathe try to get the oxygen to the brain so you can understand so would ANY of the top 10 QBs.
It is the value of the position.
A team would pay a 1st and 3rd just for the right to pay Dak MORE than the deal Dallas offered last year.
It was TRASH. It was TRASH BEFORE DeShaun Watson got 40m per year.
Lamar is about to get a deal that tops Watsons.Probably 41-42M per year.
Dak is in line for about 40m a year regardless of injury.
He might get less GTD now and he might have to eat an extra year to get it but 40M is the easy identifiable bar at this point.
And that is HERE.
Anywhere else he'd blow that out of the water easily on open market best bidder wins deal.

Indy, Miami, Chicago, Jets, Washington ... too many teams need a QB and want badly to be relevant again.

I know you are hurt that you stay wrong so perhaps just shut up on the subject.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
Some people are too dumb to post.
If you believe what you posted, you are in fact one of those people.

Dak as of today owns the 3rd most wins in the NFL since 2016.
He is producing at an insane rate.

He will be tagged because no one in actual football (now that b.o.b in houston was fired) is this dumb.
A non-tagged Dak would get 50m per year and choose his spot.
Endorsements would FOLLOW him.
He's a QB and will get paid endorsement money anywhere. Dallas is nice but ALL top 10 QBs are getting massive endorsement money.

Chicago, New Orleans, Jacksonville, Washington, NYJ is only a partial list of teams that would GLADLY build their brand around Dak.

Hold on there... We don't need to hurl personal insults to make a point. You've obviously been drinking the kool-aid on Dak. While I think he is an above average QB, most realistic fans would admit that Dak has struggled a bit since 2019. He performed poorly against top defenses last year and came up pretty small in the biggest game of the season (versus the Eagles with the division title on the line). This season, he has started slowly, turned the ball over at a much higher rate, hasn't demonstrated good pocket awareness, etc.

You're looking too much at his pre-2019 statistics. HIs win-loss percentage is much lower since 2019. HIs passing stats for this season can't be taken too seriously as he piling up numbers against weak prevent defenses down by 20+ points. The teams you mentioned would surely be interested in Dak as a free agent but NONE of them would break the bank for him coming off a major injury. They would offer him a fair contract, which is what Dallas should do. If he declines to sign then Dallas should let him test the market. Jerry and Stephen have already demonstrated that they are not going to jeopardize the future by overpaying for Dak.

dthahn

The Doctor Is IN!
Reaction score
What are you talking about? Watson just signed his deal ( ink isn't even dry ) and you're saying it "was" a terrible deal?

You've missed the point completely! The OP stated that the current state of the Texans is a hot mess and now the team will be greatly handicapped by an enormous contract going into next season when the salary cap is expected to shrink considerably thereby preventing the Texans from upgrading the team through free agency. It doesn't matter how recently Watson signed his contract!