News: SI: Hasselbeck thinks the offense could take a step backward under MM

CWR

Reaction score
Points win games for sure but this whole "Total points scored" or when they average them into games played is not the end all measure of an offense. The effeciency rating to me is a far better measure for it as it cant be skewed as much from blowouts.

Right, beating the crap out of the Vikings didn't propel us past the 9ers.

Believe me I enjoy a blow out, but the way points are spread out matters as well.

The offense was really good, and really flawed at times.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I feel like we’re going to lean towards ball control.
With who though? Pollard is a high quality HB1, but you are completely barron after him. In 2014 and 2016 when we were most effective offensively, we ran the ball 500 times. I think we are missing one more high quality ball carrier for that. Vaughn could be good, but I dont know if you want to give him more than 100 carries right now

kskboys

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ike-mccarthy-tim-hasselbeck-dak-prescott-otas

Cowboys Offense to 'Take a Step Backward!' Under Mike McCarthy Says Ex NFL QB​

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is now the offensive play-caller, but the move has been met with criticism and doubts as to whether Dallas will be better offensively because of it.
The Dallas Cowboys have undergone several changes this offseason, the most significant being head coach Mike McCarthy taking over the offensive play calling from Kellen Moore.

Under Moore, Dallas was one of the best offenses in football. Now with the Los Angeles Chargers acquiring his services and McCarthy taking over, some have their doubts about the Cowboys moving on from a coordinator who put up points as Moore's offense did.

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck is one detractor of McCarthy calling the plays next season, and Hasselbeck doesn't see it ending well in Frisco.

"I think it's going to take a step backward," Hasselbeck said on NFL Live. "I don't understand this talk about how this offense was somehow a disaster under Kellen Moore. You realize, four years he was the offensive coordinator there, there's one team that scored more points in the NFL - it was the Kansas City Chiefs.
Going to a more ball control type O is not taking a step back.

This is just silly media/FF stuff, where they measure strictly by points put up. There's a lot more to it than that.

kskboys

Reaction score
With who though? Pollard is a high quality HB1, but you are completely barron after him. In 2014 and 2016 when we were most effective offensively, we ran the ball 500 times. I think we are missing one more high quality ball carrier for that. Vaughn could be good, but I dont know if you want to give him more than 100 carries right now
How are we stock analysis after Pollard?

Whyjerry

Reaction score
Has Hasselback been right about anything? He is just another in a long line of boring analysts that get shoved down fans throats. He offers zero insight.

nobody

Reaction score
Open calorie yards. Tons of sizzle not much steak.

Call it what you want. But at any point did you feel this offense was going to control a game? Dominate? I just go back to Green Bay and Jacksonville. Super predictable game plans like against SF.

We don’t need flashy stats. We need consistency, ball control, long sustained drives leading to touchdowns

Play in front of the chains. No more run Zeke for 2, holding, run Zeke for 2 and be stuck in 3rd and longs.
This all day long.

pansophy

Reaction score
I heard that McCarthy really doesn’t care about stats and offensive rankings.

I feel like we’re going to lean towards ball control.
Yeah, McCarthy has basically said he would give up points if his defense is on the field for less time. Problem with that strategy is that have to score touchdowns on the drive you get because you intentionally playing to get fewer drives unless you think longer offensive drives means the defense gets off the field quicker because they are better rested. I sort of doubt that logic though.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
:huh:

How so? They added a TE that can equal Schultz in receiving and is a far superior blocker than Schultz could ever think about being.
A rookie second rounder (who should have been a 3rd rounder ) is going to replace Shultz how? :huh:. Thats a ridiculous assumption.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
A rookie second rounder (who should have been a 3rd rounder ) is going to replace Shultz how? :huh:. Thats a ridiculous assumption.
Why is it so ridiculous? We know he is a better blocker. We know Schultz's limitations as a receiver.

Pick 64 was a 3rd rounder and he was drafted 58. So he was literally 5 picks away from being a 3rd rounder.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Why is it so ridiculous? We know he is a better blocker. We know Schultz's limitations as a receiver.

Pick 64 was a 3rd rounder and he was drafted 58. So he was literally 5 picks away from being a 3rd rounder.
And Brenton Strange somehow managed to be drafted in the 2nd Round as well (pick 61)

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Brenton Strange somehow managed to be drafted in the 2nd Round as well (pick 61)
Strange isn't replacing j-ville's top TE like Schoon is attempting to do. Strange was drafted to be the second TE. And I have bad news for you. Schoon isn't a better player and Strange has more developmental upside. Nobody outside of Dallas and Dallas fandom is impressed with the Schoon pick.,

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Schultz is only a year older than Schoon and a much much better player. He was a pass catching TE so thats what we are trying to replace not blocking. Literally, nobody but you is saying he is as good as Schultz. So enjoy the weather on that island.