News: SI: Hasselbeck thinks the offense could take a step backward under MM

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I agree that it might. Moore wasn't perfect but he got a lot out of the offense just needed help designing a run game. We will know soon enough

pitt33

Reaction score
I completely agree Mike the fraud is going to be exposed just like he was in green bay.
Jerry knows it, hes got DQ ready to go.
My gut 5 games max.
I could see this transpiring. But more likely during the bye week.

Big Mike was awful his last couple years in GB. He wouldn’t have gotten canned otherwise.

mcmvp

Reaction score
Np
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ike-mccarthy-tim-hasselbeck-dak-prescott-otas

Cowboys Offense to 'Take a Step Backward!' Under Mike McCarthy Says Ex NFL QB​

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is now the offensive play-caller, but the move has been met with criticism and doubts as to whether Dallas will be better offensively because of it.
The Dallas Cowboys have undergone several changes this offseason, the most significant being head coach Mike McCarthy taking over the offensive play calling from Kellen Moore.

Under Moore, Dallas was one of the best offenses in football. Now with the Los Angeles Chargers acquiring his services and McCarthy taking over, some have their doubts about the Cowboys moving on from a coordinator who put up points as Moore's offense did.

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck is one detractor of McCarthy calling the plays next season, and Hasselbeck doesn't see it ending well in Frisco.

"I think it's going to take a step backward," Hasselbeck said on NFL Live. "I don't understand this talk about how this offense was somehow a disaster under Kellen Moore. You realize, four years he was the offensive coordinator there, there's one team that scored more points in the NFL - it was the Kansas City Chiefs.
I think Hasselbeck is being Captain Obvious here. I wonder if there are Cowboy fans that are actually expecting an increase in production? If they are, I think they are relying on mainly wishful thinking. I don't see how they don't take a step back...

Buzzbait

Reaction score
https://www.si.com/nfl/cowboys/news...ike-mccarthy-tim-hasselbeck-dak-prescott-otas

Cowboys head coach Mike McCarthy is now the offensive play-caller, but the move has been met with criticism and doubts as to whether Dallas will be better offensively because of it.
The Dallas Cowboys have undergone several changes this offseason, the most significant being head coach Mike McCarthy taking over the offensive play calling from Kellen Moore.

Under Moore, Dallas was one of the best offenses in football. Now with the Los Angeles Chargers acquiring his services and McCarthy taking over, some have their doubts about the Cowboys moving on from a coordinator who put up points as Moore's offense did.

Former NFL quarterback Tim Hasselbeck is one detractor of McCarthy calling the plays next season, and Hasselbeck doesn't see it ending well in Frisco.

"I think it's going to take a step backward," Hasselbeck said on NFL Live. "I don't understand this talk about how this offense was somehow a disaster under Kellen Moore. You realize, four years he was the offensive coordinator there, there's one team that scored more points in the NFL - it was the Kansas City Chiefs.
Big deal, Hasselbeck doesn't know any more about it than anyone else. SI is just trying to stir the pot.
If he's so proud of Jason Garrett Jr, he can have my share of it.
BTW Mr. Hasselbeck, how many rings has JG Jr. got vs how many does MM have? MM - 1, Jason Garrett Jr - 0

Last edited:

GINeric

Reaction score

MM has won a Superbowl. Kellen Moore is too dumb to win a Superbowl. End of story.

GINeric

Reaction score
The Cowboys had some real good, high scoring offenses under Kellen Moore. The only reason he’s not here is because of Dak’s inconsistent play and INT‘s last season. It’s going to be hard to improve over what we’ve had. Everyone loved Kellen Moore when he first arrived but fans are fickle. It’s not going to take fans long to hate on McCarthy and Schottenheimer if the offense starts to sputter and we don’t see the scoring we’ve seen.

No Kellen Moore is gone because he's a trash *** offensive coordinator. He wasn't intelligent enough to understand situational play calling.

He wasn't intelligent enough to keep running the ball when your running back is averaging 5, 6, 7 yards a clip. In games when we are averaging chunk yards like that in the running game, KM's dumb *** would call pass plays on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and short or goal to go.

I'm extremely happy his bum *** is out of Dallas. Let him call his 5 yard curl routes on 3rd and 8 somewhere else.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
I could see this transpiring. But more likely during the bye week.

Big Mike was awful his last couple years in GB. He wouldn’t have gotten canned otherwise.
Or it was all Aaron , and Aaron couldnt do without elite WRs like Jody or Adams

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
No Kellen Moore is gone because he's a trash *** offensive coordinator. He wasn't intelligent enough to understand situational play calling.

He wasn't intelligent enough to keep running the ball when your running back is averaging 5, 6, 7 yards a clip. In games when we are averaging chunk yards like that in the running game, KM's dumb *** would call pass plays on 2nd, 3rd, and 4th and short or goal to go.

I'm extremely happy his bum *** is out of Dallas. Let him call his 5 yard curl routes on 3rd and 8 somewhere else.
He was being referred to as a genus by many on this board first two years. Lol It won’t take long before fans are tearing down Schottenheimer and McCarthy those weeks when the offense sputters.

GINeric

Reaction score
He was being referred to as a genus by many on this board first two years. Lol It won’t take long before fans are tearing down Schottenheimer and McCarthy those weeks when the offense sputters.

Kellen Moore ran a generic offense with no creative shifts to disguise and confuse the defense. That's why many opponents of ours said they always knew what we were running.

His in game awareness for situational play calling was also trash. Glad his bum *** is gone.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The issue isn't offensive efficiency. The issue is defeating teams in the post season who have coaches and personnel able to stop Dak.
You can't merely shift from a high-powered offense to a grind-it-out offense on the fly. That style must be incorporated and implemented throughout the season.
That, in my opinion, is what led to our demise against the Giants in 2008.
We featured Julius Jones in the first half and then brought in Marion Barber III in the second half to wear down defenses.
But Wade Phillips decided to switch strategies and feature MB3 in the first half and that, I believe, threw off our rhythm.
If McCarthy is trying to establish a mindset that will help us win in the post-season, I'm willing to sacrifice gaudy passing yards for smash-mouth football that wins in the cold, should we have to play in the cold, or wherever we have to play to get to the Super Bowl.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kellen Moore ran a generic offense with no creative shifts to disguise and confuse the defense. That's why many opponents of ours said they always knew what we were running.

His in game awareness for situational play calling was also trash. Glad his bum *** is gone.
For saying they knew what we were running we certainly scored a lot of points. We’ll be finding out in a few months if Schottenheimer and McCarthy will escape the wrath of the fans. One bad offensive game and you’ll be seeing the “fire” threads starting up. We have the biggest bunch of knee jerkers on this board.

TwistedL0g1k

Reaction score
I actually agree with Hasselbeck. It's laughable to think Dallas was somehow scoring too many points, or racking up too many yards. Less is actually less. As pointed out, KM had one of the top offenses in football- and somehow this is a bad thing?

Running the ball more is not ball control. Ball control is getting first downs and retaining possession. I'm unconvinced Dallas will even run more anyway. The OC position has taken a step backwards. MM is not an improvement. Mark my words. Check back at the end of the season!

Motorola

Reaction score
2007 brings back both bad and fond memories. Bad in that the team did not advance past the divisional round. Good in that I had posted often, from mid-season through the actual Super Bowl game itself, that no modern day NFL franchise, including Dallas, would ever finish undefeated in an entire season. It is disgusting that Washington accomplished the feat but that was a different era and the beginnings of league wide parity was introduced in 1994. Perfection will not happen again.

"There is NO way the Giants will beat Brady!!!"

That was the best CowboysZone game thread ever. Or, at least, I thought so. :muttley:
My best friend is a Giants fan. He won a lot of money on both SBs XLII and XLVI.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
2007 brings back both bad and fond memories. Bad in that the team did not advance past the divisional round. Good in that I had posted often, from mid-season through the actual Super Bowl game itself, that no modern day NFL franchise, including Dallas, would ever finish undefeated in an entire season. It is disgusting that Miami accomplished the feat but that was a different era and the beginnings of league wide parity was introduced in 1994. Perfection will not happen again.

"There is NO way the Giants will beat Brady!!!"

That was the best CowboysZone game thread ever. Or, at least, I thought so. :muttley:
When did Washington go undefeated? :huh:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
I actually agree with Hasselbeck. It's laughable to think Dallas was somehow scoring too many points, or racking up too many yards. Less is actually less. As pointed out, KM had one of the top offenses in football- and somehow this is a bad thing?

Running the ball more is not ball control. Ball control is getting first downs and retaining possession. I'm unconvinced Dallas will even run more anyway. The OC position has taken a step backwards. MM is not an improvement. Mark my words. Check back at the end of the season!
I again apologize for being a broken record: Dallas had the 20th most plays per drive. They had the 18th most yards per drive. They had the 27th most time of possession per drive.

Dallas last year was a mediocre offense that got a ton of possessions with great field position due to turnovers. Left to their own devices, they frequently went 3 and out. A significant percentage of Dallas' points last year were caused by Dan Quinn, not Kellen Moore.

I'll take it a step further. Dallas was 4-1 with Rush as a starter and 8-4 with Dak. That's not because Rush is better than Dak (he isn't). Its not because the 4-1 was against easier teams (it wasn't). It was because Kellen got more conservative with the playcalling with Rush which controlled the ball and protected the defense. The absolute offensive output might go down next year in some ways but I hope the record is closer to the 4-1 Rush era than the 8-4 Dak stuff.