SI: The Dallas Cowboys Are Wasting the Luckiest QB Run in NFL History

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Learn math, and the meaning of the word rare. If something is hard to find, that means it's rare. If the NFL can't find 32 starting NFL quarterbacks, that means they are rare.

Fandom has nothing to do with the fact that there aren't enough quality quarterbacks to go around. And it's not argued that the Dallas offense would provide any quarterback with great tools to work with. Nor does it minimize Prescott. Swing and a miss. Twice.

That's called naivete.

At any given time, there will be several NFL teams who have bad running back situations. Does that make running backs rare? Of course not. When you have 32 teams, a few of them are bound to be in transition, made bad decisions, etc.

Hell, do the same thing with any position. How about punter or kicker? Do all 32 teams have a good punter or kicker? Obviously not. Does that make place kicker some rare and valuable position or is it just something you have to be competent at picking and coaching up? The latter is the clear answer.

The world doesn't work the way that you describe it. You are the one who has a clear deficiency with math and statistics. The fact that most teams now are to the point where they are comfortable with their QB situation says a lot about how easy it is to get a QB.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At any given time, there will be several NFL teams who have bad running back situations. Does that make running backs rare? Of course not. When you have 32 teams, a few of them are bound to be in transition, made bad decisions, etc.

You're not getting away with any apples to oranges comparison attempts. Another swing and miss.

Hell, do the same thing with any position. How about punter or kicker? Do all 32 teams have a good punter or kicker? Obviously not. Does that make place kicker some rare and valuable position or is it just something you have to be competent at picking and coaching up? The latter is the clear answer.

Pile on your ignorance about football.

The world doesn't work the way that you describe it. You are the one who has a clear deficiency with math and statistics. The fact that most teams now are to the point where they are comfortable with their QB situation says a lot about how easy it is to get a QB.

The fact that you actually seem to believe that shows that you haven't the slightest clue about the NFL.

I'm embarrassed for you.
:facepalm:

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'm still scratching my head over the Bridgewater deal.
:huh:
The guy has never approached what would be considered a great season in his entire career and one team believes he's worth $20 million a year?
Honestly man I think the Tannehill situation is even worse.

As far as Bridgewater...yeah, that's what a starting QB is going to go for now.

People here think that we can perpetually get Andy Dalton starting for us for 2M a year.

If he took over this year and went 6-10, people would lose their minds for letting Prescott go.

If he went 10-6, it would cost 30M a year to retain him moving ahead.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Honestly man I think the Tannehill situation is even worse.

Not me. Tannehill reinvented himself and took the Titans on a heck of a playoff run that nobody saw coming, beating the Ravens and the Patriots, no easy feat.

As far as Bridgewater...yeah, that's what a starting QB is going to go for now.

I don;t consider him a "starting quarterback". He's never shown me to be that level of player. A nice, bus driver backup type in my opinion, nothing more. I'll be shocked if he shows to be anything more than that in Carolina.

People here think that we can perpetually get Andy Dalton starting for us for 2M a year.

If he took over this year and went 6-10, people would lose their minds for letting Prescott go.

If he went 10-6, it would cost 30M a year to retain him moving ahead.

I think that's why it's important to get a longer term deal worked out up front, to keep those costs down if the guy blows up in your system. But they didn't have much choice on the Dalton deal. But I think if they wanted to keep him, location would play a large role and earn a considerable discount over somewhere else.

clff15701

Reaction score
You don’t pay a top 10 Qb like a top 2 Qb just because he says so. People forget he crapped the bed the philly game. Wentz beat us with the practice squad team. That doesn’t get you top 2 money. Get to the NFC championship and then get paid.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
The vast majority of teams are happy with their QB situation going into the season this year. As I said, positional rarity is gone with QB much like what happened with RB years ago. If 26 or more NFL teams are satisified with their QB situation, its not a rarity.

If you look around, there are a LOT of QB's that would look really good behind Dallas' line throwing to Coop, Gallup and Lamb with Zeke and Pollard behind them being coached by MM. I'm not sure why people think its a bad thing. Ostensibly, we are all Cowboy fans here and the fact that Dallas is in that good of shape offensively should be considered a positive.

If Dak walks, Dallas would have a ton of capspace and be the best place for a QB to land. I have great confidence that Dallas could replace him rather easily.

Every year going into the season the vast majority of teams are happy with their QB situation. By the end of the year around ten teams switch sides. Plenty of people are hoping Dallas ends up one of those teams.

fivetwos

Reaction score
You don’t pay a top 10 Qb like a top 2 Qb just because he says so. People forget he crapped the bed the philly game. Wentz beat us with the practice squad team. That doesn’t get you top 2 money. Get to the NFC championship and then get paid.
I havent forgotten it at all, but his contract was up, and you cant tell him he can have his money the second they win a big game.

I at least want to see him with a real staff before letting him go. Playing on the tag seems better to me each day.

FVSTONE

Reaction score
I think JJ is doing back flips off the upper deck of his yacht. Dak isn't worth the the contract he was looking and JJ knows this. This was an excellent move on the Cowboys part, they didn't over pay like the Ram, Eagles and Minnesota. He's a 4rd pick who had issues with ranked teams in college and he's the same player who is having issues with above average teams in the NFL.

GenoT

Reaction score
Well snagging Tom Brady was one thing, but those other guys have done nothing, yet. So I'll go with Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. Or maybe Joe Montana and Steve Young. Come to think of it Chris Simms and Jeff Hostetler have to be mentioned. And people tend to forget the Houston Oilers went from Warren Moon to Steve McNair. But that's only because they went from being the Houston Oilers to the Tennessee Titans. The combo of Joe Flacco and Steven Jackson should be put on the list ahead of Romo and Dak.

But if the Pats can make a real run at it for the next couple of years, I'd have to really tip my hat to Belichick then. Because all of his SB wins came with Brady at the helm, so some still wonder if its Brady or Belichick that deserves most of the credit. But heck just going from Bledsoe to Brady was a blessing for them when you think about it.
And why I stated “very likely to be” — not “is”.

Meanwhile, Brady 6 SB wins over @20yrs > one each for Favre and Rodgers over @35yrs+ combined.

Last edited:

fivetwos

Reaction score
Not me. Tannehill reinvented himself and took the Titans on a heck of a playoff run that nobody saw coming, beating the Ravens and the Patriots, no easy feat.

I don;t consider him a "starting quarterback". He's never shown me to be that level of player. A nice, bus driver backup type in my opinion, nothing more. I'll be shocked if he shows to be anything more than that in Carolina.

I think that's why it's important to get a longer term deal worked out up front, to keep those costs down if the guy blows up in your system. But they didn't have much choice on the Dalton deal. But I think if they wanted to keep him, location would play a large role and earn a considerable discount over somewhere else.
But they likely wont do it for that reason.

Guys like Dalton and Newton still think they are going to cash in on a starters job at starter money.

While last offseason was quite different, starting caliber QB availability is rare.

Also, dont agree on Tannehill. Not trying to say BWater is a stud, but Tennessee will live to regret giving him that deal.

Maybe not, and maybe the light finally went on in the right scenario, but if nothing else it tells me that Prescott can become elite when the DBs dont know exactly what routes are being run etc beforehand.

plasticman

Reaction score
I would consider the Patriot's QB situation to be somewhat of an anomaly. Try as I might, I could find no other QB drafted in the 6th round that won 6 SB's. I was quite thorough.

You could pair Brady with Ryan Leaf and they would still be the best consecutive QB duo if you were looking at SB victories only.

In terms of quality play by back to back QB's without any break in between, the Cowboys would have to go with Staubach-White. I would say some of the best in NFL history would be Montana-Young, Favre-Rodgers. There was a one year break with Manning-Luck but I think it was injury.

Lamonica-Stabler was solid for the Raiders. The Giants would certainly have to use Connerly-Tittle.

But, yeah, no getting around it, they all have one thing in common that is different than Romo-Prescott....so far.

They all involved at least one championship.

coult44

Reaction score
Jerry knows something nobody is talking about. We really aren’t allowed to talk about it. But there is a reason this deal didn’t get done. He’s always preached “deadlines make deals”. It’s funny this one didn’t get done. Perhaps the deadline hasn’t passed yet.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

SportsGuru80

CowboysYanksLakers
Reaction score
Absolutely.... Well written. Jerry Jones and his klan are stuck in mediocrity because they really don't have a clue how to run the football side of a NFL team.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Haven't we discussed all this before .... for like 18 mths .....

JReed1000

Reaction score
It will depend on his play. He's betting on himself. If he plays more poorly than he expects, his salary demands might come down to what Dallas thinks he's worth. If he plays better than Dallas expects, then the Cowboys might be willing to pay more for his services. A whole lot can change in a year.
It’s not that Dak keeps betting on himself. It’s the front office waiting on him to fail and it keep blowing up in their faces. Dak will ball out this year....win the division nd possibly make it to the NFC CG. His contract demand will be 38m and up.