SI: The Dallas Cowboys Are Wasting the Luckiest QB Run in NFL History

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I believe that any potential trade would have to occur prior to the 2021 draft. After that, it's too late.

They couldn't afford the cost of that third tag and everyone knows it and would simply sit back and wait if they wanted Prescott.

That's possible. But if he's tagged and signs it, then Dallas is obligated to pay him unless it can trade him. Some team would be willing to make a deal, it just might not be as lucrative a deal as Dallas would like.

I do agree if the sides are far apart next offseason, it would probably be best to trade him before the 2021 draft when his value is at its highest. If the sides are close, then I'd probably tag him and keep him. (This is assuming that he plays like a top-five-ish QB this season.)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the amount doesn't apply until the player signs it, but since he can sign it at anytime, you would have to keep the space open. I don't think that will be a problem, though.

$54.3 million is a HUGE problem. And you can't play funny money with tags. You have to have the money available to apply them. The tag counts against the cap as soon as the designation is made.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's possible. But if he's tagged and signs it, then Dallas is obligated to pay him unless it can trade him. Some team would be willing to make a deal, it just might not be as lucrative a deal as Dallas would like.

I do agree if the sides are far apart next offseason, it would probably be best to trade him before the 2021 draft when his value is at its highest. If the sides are close, then I'd probably tag him and keep him. (This is assuming that he plays like a top-five-ish QB this season.)

Yeah, they'd definitely have to take whet they could get at that point, rather than any "two 1st round picks" type of stuff.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
when dak and cca pulled the deal at the first of 2019 they crossed jerry dak is done in dallas when every one finally realizes that jerry could care less about winning it will all make sense the dallas cowboys are his play toy but his number one thing he worries about and that keeps him up at night is money

gimmesix

Reaction score
$54.3 million is a HUGE problem. And you can't play funny money with tags. You have to have the money available to apply them. The tag counts against the cap as soon as the designation is made.

There are ways to open up that space although it's not ideal in any way since it would tie up money that could be used elsewhere. I just think if the team paints itself into that corner then you would have to do it.

I still think it's more likely that a deal gets worked out next year when the tag amount will most probably exceed the average per year he would receive. There were fewer incentives to get a deal done now. It would have saved Dallas some cap space, but it currently does not need it and could open some up in different ways if it did need it.

Dak had more incentive than Dallas for getting a deal done IMO because it would have upped his guarantee in case something happens to him this year, but he seems to be willing to bet on himself rather than take less than what he perceives he's worth.

I think it's presumptuous by some to believe that just because he's playing on the tag this year, it means he will not be signed. Dallas has used the tag previously and had players play on it (Flozell Adams, Ken Hamlin, DeMarcus Lawrence) before receiving a contract the next year. Anthony Spencer played on the tag twice, but was injured the second year and I believe only received a one-year offer from us the third year. Lawrence was tagged twice before signing his contract before the deadline his second time. Dallas has never lost a player that it tagged.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Third year would possibly be a tag and trade. However, I believe the two sides will come together and figure something out after McCarthy has had a chance to work with him for a year. This is a supposed QB guru so why would you not want him to take a look under the hood before you figure out what Prescott is worth to you.

Dak has been in the league 4 years. That is plenty of evidence for a guy like MM to make a determination.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Dak has been in the league 4 years. That is plenty of evidence for a guy like MM to make a determination.

I disagree. There's a difference in knowing a guy's work from the outside and working with him personally. He has statistical evidence. He has testimonial evidence. But he doesn't have personal evidence. I'd like to see him get that before Dallas decides what to do with Dak, whether he's worth what he's asking or if it's better to go another direction. I would think from the outside, McCarthy would already have a pretty good feeling that Dak's worth it, but he can go beyond that to personally vouching for the player.

If McCarthy is going to be the head coach to lead us to the Super Bowl, I'd prefer that he decide who he wants his general to be.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
If they were confident in him then they should have gotten him resigned instead of the Ewok.

The Cowboys offered Dak over $100 million guaranteed and wanted a longer deal than Dak wanted.

Watching people spin that into the Cowboys not being sold on or "confident in" Dak is hilarious. :muttley:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I disagree. There's a difference in knowing a guy's work from the outside and working with him personally. He has statistical evidence. He has testimonial evidence. But he doesn't have personal evidence. I'd like to see him get that before Dallas decides what to do with Dak, whether he's worth what he's asking or if it's better to go another direction. I would think from the outside, McCarthy would already have a pretty good feeling that Dak's worth it, but he can go beyond that to personally vouching for the player.

If McCarthy is going to be the head coach to lead us to the Super Bowl, I'd prefer that he decide who he wants his general to be.

Any semi competent coach would be drooling to work with Dak. What is the alternative? Cowboys aren't signing Mahomes any time soon. MM doesn't need any time. So you think the Cowboys wanting Dak for 5 years and 35 million is an indication they haven't decided if he is worth it? LOL

They want him so bad that they aren't willing to sign him for less than 5 years. And we already know what Dak wants. 35 million is fine, he just wants it for 4 years.

Personal evidence? I knew how good Dak was watching him play a few preseason games. Trust me, MM knows what he has in Dak.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys offered Dak over $100 million guaranteed and wanted a longer deal than Dak wanted.

Watching people spin that into the Cowboys not being sold on or "confident in" Dak is hilarious. :muttley:

Good for a laugh, but that's about it. Hard to have a realistic conversation with some of these types.

These coaches and GM's are happy to have the opportunity to shell out 30 million type contracts for good QB's. Only biased trolls would ever hesitate paying a top 10 QB the market rate.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Any semi competent coach would be drooling to work with Dak. What is the alternative? Cowboys aren't signing Mahomes any time soon. MM doesn't need any time. So you think the Cowboys wanting Dak for 5 years and 35 million is an indication they haven't decided if he is worth it? LOL

They want him so bad that they aren't willing to sign him for less than 5 years. And we already know what Dak wants. 35 million is fine, he just wants it for 4 years.

Personal evidence? I knew how good Dak was watching him play a few preseason games. Trust me, MM knows what he has in Dak.

Did not say McCarthy doesn't want to work with Dak, One reason he likely came here was believing that he had a very good QB in place.

Also did not say Dallas doesn't value Dak. The contract amounts that have been reported show that the Cowboys do.

What I did say is that McCarthy does not know everything about Dak. He knows what he's seen on film. He knows what he's heard about him. He has not had interactions with him in practice, seen how he interacts with others, seen how he takes to coaching, etc.

Aaron Rodgers has been one of the best quarterbacks in the league, but do you think McCarthy liked working with him? There's plenty out there to show that he did not. A coach does not know everything about a player until he coaches him.

Dallas made an offer to Dak that it thought was fair. It did not sign him to what Dak wanted. After McCarthy works with Dak for a year, Dallas might be willing to sign him to what he wants based on how McCarthy feels about working with him.

fredp22

Reaction score
best run in history?

Montana/Young>Romo/Prescott
Farve/Rodgers>Romo/Prescott

there's probably others. Romo also had his problem of folding under pressure. SI-How are they still in business. noone reads them and their reputation is well.....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

False only speculations here....

doomsday9084

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

I strongly disagree with the thought that QB's are rare, difficult to find gems. That's old thinking. The college system has changed so much that we are now regularly seeing very good QB's come into the NFL. QB play is just as much about coaching, line play and receivers as it is about the QB himself. IMO, 2/3 of the NFL has a QB that will look good on the right team. Its not this special rarity that it once was.

I'll be blunt and possibly get in trouble. Decades ago, if you were an athletic black man you got moved to a speed position before you even got a chance to show that you could play QB. WR, RB, DB, etc. were the positions you got stuck in. Nowadays you have Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott, Watson, Murray, etc. as quality QB's that you likely would not have seen 25 years ago. That and the change in college to be more passing oriented has changed the calculus at the QB position.

Dallas isn't going to drift in the wilderness for a decade if they move on from Prescott. There are simply too many good QB's out there.

fivetwos

Reaction score
best run in history?

Montana/Young>Romo/Prescott
Farve/Rodgers>Romo/Prescott

there's probably others. Romo also had his problem of folding under pressure. SI-How are they still in business. noone reads them and their reputation is well.....
I didnt read the story, but it does say "luckiest," not "best."

A UDFA and a 4th rounder as pretty good starters.

As far as the BEST, Romo and Prescott arent in the conversation.

fivetwos

Reaction score
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

I strongly disagree with the thought that QB's are rare, difficult to find gems. That's old thinking. The college system has changed so much that we are now regularly seeing very good QB's come into the NFL. QB play is just as much about coaching, line play and receivers as it is about the QB himself. IMO, 2/3 of the NFL has a QB that will look good on the right team. Its not this special rarity that it once was.

I'll be blunt and possibly get in trouble. Decades ago, if you were an athletic black man you got moved to a speed position before you even got a chance to show that you could play QB. WR, RB, DB, etc. were the positions you got stuck in. Nowadays you have Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott, Watson, Murray, etc. as quality QB's that you likely would not have seen 25 years ago. That and the change in college to be more passing oriented has changed the calculus at the QB position.

Dallas isn't going to drift in the wilderness for a decade if they move on from Prescott. There are simply too many good QB's out there.
Yeah tons, and it's the same handful of familiar faces in late January every season.