SI: The Dallas Cowboys Are Wasting the Luckiest QB Run in NFL History

fivetwos

Reaction score
Ryan Tannehill. Garropolo. Legendary QB's.

Oh . . . wait.
Yes, cite the here and there exceptions and then raise the ante to "legendary."

There you go.

Theres plenty of scrap heap Tannehills out there, who put together a half season of decency and had to be given an absurd contract to be retained.

And wheres ths Garrapolo that's sitting there as a backup waiting to be traded for?

Same as with a draft pick, they have to hit yet ANOTHER jackpot to get better than Prescott.

If and when he is out of here, all of you wanting to replace Prescott with journeymen and underachievers wont be able to be found.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2019/passing.htm

I strongly disagree with the thought that QB's are rare, difficult to find gems. That's old thinking. The college system has changed so much that we are now regularly seeing very good QB's come into the NFL. QB play is just as much about coaching, line play and receivers as it is about the QB himself. IMO, 2/3 of the NFL has a QB that will look good on the right team. Its not this special rarity that it once was.

I'll be blunt and possibly get in trouble. Decades ago, if you were an athletic black man you got moved to a speed position before you even got a chance to show that you could play QB. WR, RB, DB, etc. were the positions you got stuck in. Nowadays you have Mahomes, Jackson, Prescott, Watson, Murray, etc. as quality QB's that you likely would not have seen 25 years ago. That and the change in college to be more passing oriented has changed the calculus at the QB position.

Dallas isn't going to drift in the wilderness for a decade if they move on from Prescott. There are simply too many good QB's out there.

You indict and undermine your own claim without realizing it.

32 teams in the league and your boast is that "2/3 of the NFL has a QB that will look good on the right team".

So by your own words, that's 22 quarterbacks at best, for the entire league. And at least 10 teams being 'have-nots'. That's the definition of "rarity".

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There you go.

Theres plenty of scrap heap Tannehills out there, who put together a half season of decency and had to be given an absurd contract to be retained.

And wheres ths Garrapolo that's sitting there as a backup waiting to be traded for?

Same as with a draft pick, they have to hit yet ANOTHER jackpot to get better than Prescott.

If and when he is out of here, all of you wanting to replace Prescott with journeymen and underachievers wont be able to be found.

And apparently, they don't know or don't want to remember that this team preferred two bust quarterbacks before they lucked into Prescott in the first place.

If the Cowboys 'braintrust' had their way, we would have traded valuable draft capital for Paxton Lynch or drafted Connor Cook instead of Prescott.

But yet some still mistakenly believe that finding a quarterback is somehow easy...
:facepalm:

doomsday9084

Reaction score
You indict and undermine your own claim without realizing it.

32 teams in the league and your boast is that "2/3 of the NFL has a QB that will look good on the right team".

So by your own words, that's 22 quarterbacks at best, for the entire league. And at least 10 teams being 'have-nots'. That's the definition of "rarity".

No it isn't. Out of the have nots, several have already replaced those QB's. Of course, at any given time some percentage of the teams are going to be in flux. However, the majority of the teams right now in the NFL are satisfied with their QB and its because its not nearly as hard to get one as many people here make it out to be.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No it isn't.

Yes, it most certainly IS. Obviously you didn't realize what you were actually saying.

Out of the have nots, several have already replaced those QB's.

With what? More unproven quarterbacks? Please give specific examples here. Don't hide.

Of course, at any given time some percentage of the teams are going to be in flux. However, the majority of the teams right now in the NFL are satisfied with their QB and its because its not nearly as hard to get one as many people here make it out to be.

Nonsense. Sheer, utter, unsupported nonsense. You should be embarrassed attempting to say something like this.

doomsday9084

Reaction score

There you go.

Legendary = sarcasm

I'll still be around well after Prescott is gone. The people who will be silent are the ones clamoring for Dak to get top dollar. When the defense lets the team down because they had to let players go to pay for Dak, that's when you will hear the crickets. Or more specifically, the typical "blame everyone but Dak for the team's problems" noise.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
The Cowboys have Dak the same guaranteed money on a five year deal that Goff got on a four year deal a year ago. That is way too low. The Cowboys should have given him the four years he was asking for or went way up on the guaranteed money if they wanted to get a deal done. Obviously it's still possible a deal gets done but it's far less likely imo. There is a reason no qb that's played on the tag has gone on to re-sign with that team.
Well you answered yourself with your last sentence.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Yes, it most certainly IS. Obviously you didn't realize what you were actually saying.

With what? More unproven quarterbacks? Please give specific examples here. Don't hide.

Nonsense. Sheer, utter, unsupported nonsense. You should be embarrassed attempting to say something like this.

You obviously don't understand the NFL so I'll just answer your question. Here are the teams with the 9 lowest rated QB's from last year and what they have done about it:
Miami - Drafted Tua
Buffalo - Staying put with Allen
NYJ - Staying put with Darnold
Tampa - Signed Brady
Chicago - Traded for Foles
Pittsburgh - Will get Rothlisberger back
Carolina - Signs Bridgewater
Cleveland - Staying put with Mayfield
Cincinnati - Drafts Burrow

So, out of the bottom 25% of the teams, 3 have young QB's that they are sticking with and trying to improve the situation around them. The other 6 will have a significant change. Will some of those decisions not work out? Of course. The Foles pick up in particular is questionable.

That said, many of those changes will work out. Its really not that hard. Many here only follow the Cowboys and were stung by Dallas' long stretch after Aikman. Just because Jerry didn't know what he was doing doesn't mean the task is as difficult as he made it seem.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You obviously don't understand the NFL so I'll just answer your question. Here are the teams with the 9 lowest rated QB's from last year and what they have done about it:
Miami - Drafted Tua
Buffalo - Staying put with Allen
NYJ - Staying put with Darnold
Tampa - Signed Brady
Chicago - Traded for Foles
Pittsburgh - Will get Rothlisberger back
Carolina - Signs Bridgewater
Cleveland - Staying put with Mayfield
Cincinnati - Drafts Burrow

So, out of the bottom 25% of the teams, 3 have young QB's that they are sticking with and trying to improve the situation around them. The other 6 will have a significant change. Will some of those decisions not work out? Of course. The Foles pick up in particular is questionable.

Which serves only to reinforce the fact that finding a quality NFL QB is RARE! In your zeal to attempt to minimize Prescott, Yiu clearly forgot the definition of the word RARE. Take the time to go and look it up.

That said, many of those changes will work out. Its really not that hard. Many here only follow the Cowboys and were stung by Dallas' long stretch after Aikman. Just because Jerry didn't know what he was doing doesn't mean the task is as difficult as he made it seem.

That's EXACTLY what it means! Lie to yourself, but don't try to lie to me or anyone else. Keep that nonsense inside your head.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Yep, fell into two QBs who are/were good enough to win but wasted them on garbage coaches and pedestrian defenses.

Now we have people who think the two geniuses who wasted those QBs are going to hand-pick a better one and build a champion. :muttley:
No, not at all, but I would rather see the franchise at least trying to find a real franchise QB rather than wasting time and paying cap breaking money to Dak, that will only keep you at 8-8.
Its like the Dak apologists want to just sign Dak, because if you throw enough money at an issue it will somehow correct itself, but it never does.
Its painful to have the patience to find a real franchise QB, Cowboys have been looking since Aikman.. Romo wasnt either.
Dak bet on himself, and there are a lot of fans betting on new eyes and perspective in MM.

fivetwos

Reaction score
And apparently, they don't know or don't want to remember that this team preferred two bust quarterbacks before they lucked into Prescott in the first place.

If the Cowboys 'braintrust' had their way, we would have traded valuable draft capital for Paxton Lynch or drafted Connor Cook instead of Prescott.

But yet some still mistakenly believe that finding a quarterback is somehow easy...
:facepalm:
Not sure how you feel overall on Prescott.

I deem myself as indifferent.

He is frustratingly awful at times with wide open targets, and has let us down in several spots where top end QBs find a way.

BUT, I feel like he is good enough to win with, and to be fair, if the team has been playing (which I fully agree with) with, as you've said...one arm tied behind its back under Garrett....then Prescott has to be a large part of that.

He will be paid market value, which is overpaid. QB salaries somehow have been blown way out of proportion. All of them, not just him.

That all said, we have more of a win now type roster than not.

A draft pick wont likely be ready anytime soon, and by then your HOF OL is ready to quit.

Sign a Stafford then suddenly the light goes on for him is a better bet?

Overall I'm just saying while Prescott is no Brees or Rodgers, it's not like they can just go find one of those on the next corner, and what we have is much more than likely better than the alternative.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not sure how you feel overall on Prescott.

I deem myself as indifferent.

He is frustratingly awful at times with wide open targets, and has let us down in several spots where top end QBs find a way.

BUT, I feel like he is good enough to win with, and to be fair, if the team has been playing (which I fully agree with) with, as you've said...one arm tied behind its back under Garrett....then Prescott has to be a large part of that.

He will be paid market value, which is overpaid. QB salaries somehow have been blown way out of proportion. All of them, not just him.

That all said, we have more of a win now type roster than not.

A draft pick wont likely be ready anytime soon, and by then your HOF OL is ready to quit.

Sign a Stafford then suddenly the light goes on for him is a better bet?

Overall I'm just saying while Prescott is no Brees or Rodgers, it's not like they can just go find one of those on the next corner, and what we have is much more than likely better than the alternative.

I've looked extensively into Prescott's numbers. And he compares favorably to most all quarterbacks in the NFL, even the great ines at the same early point in their own careers, specifically Drew Brees as you mentioned.

Brees wasn't Brees until he hooked up with Sean Payton.

As for Aaron Rodgers, Dak's recent numbers are better than his in several categories as well.

There may be some clunkers and disappointing outings along the way, but all quarterbacks have them. If they were as orevelant as the less informed believed, the overall body of work would not be as good as it is.

Those are the facts.

I'm not letting frustrations over his contract blind me to them, unlike some other people.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I've looked extensively into Prescott's numbers. And he compares favorably to most all quarterbacks in the NFL, even the great ines at the same early point in their own careers, specifically Drew Brees as you mentioned.

Brees wasn't Brees until he hooked up with Sean Payton.

As for Aaron Rodgers, Dak's recent numbers are better than his in several categories as well.

There may be some clunkers and disappointing outings along the way, but all quarterbacks have them. If they were as orevelant as the less informed believed, the overall body of work would not be as good as it is.

Those are the facts.

I'm not letting frustrations over his contract blind me to them, unlike some other people.
Whoa I'm liking the Brees and Payton analogy.

It's somewhere between logical and likely that Prescott gets to another level with MM. It's at least worth a look.

People that speculate that MM has looked at Prescott on film and says he isnt the answer are reaching.

When he took the job he had to have assumed that Prescott would more than likely be in Dallas for the foreseeable future, and potentially longer than him.

He wouldnt have signed up for this if he thought he was pure garbage.

So yeah, I'm good rolling with what Prescott has been so far was akin to Brees in SD. We at least have a shot that he will now become Brees in NO.

Running him out if town right now is the wrong answer no matter how you slice it.

Theres plenty of hopefuls.. "no way he gets the second tag"....out there who need to be careful of what they wish for.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Dalton signed for what he did because he knew he wasnt starting btw.

All of you folks out there who think you're getting a starting QB....season after season....for 2M plus incentives...you're nuts.

Bridgewater, who I guess is considered a lower end starter, gets 20 plus annually.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Whoa I'm liking the Brees and Payton analogy.

It's somewhere between logical and likely that Prescott gets to another level with MM. It's at least worth a look.

It's certainly presents the possibility that Prescott can improve under a better coach in McCarthy than what he's had to this point.

People that speculate that MM has looked at Prescott on film and says he isnt the answer are reaching.

There are tremendous amounts of reaching happening all over the place, depending on how people are feeling and what they want to believe. They form their narrative and then try to twist what we actually know in an effort to fit that narrative.

When he took the job he had to have assumed that Prescott would more than likely be in Dallas for the foreseeable future, and potentially longer than him.

He wouldnt have signed up for this if he thought he was pure garbage.

So yeah, I'm good rolling with what Prescott has been so far was akin to Brees in SD. We at least have a shot that he will now become Brees in NO.

Running him out if town right now is the wrong answer no matter how you slice it.

Theres plenty of hopefuls.. "no way he gets the second tag"....out there who need to be careful of what they wish for.

Like I said, many have a bias one way or another. And they twist what we do know in an effort to support that bias, even to the point of sounding foolish. These ongoing contract negotiations have made many people angry and irrational. And they see, read, and hear only what the want to.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dalton signed for what he did because he knew he wasnt starting btw.

All of you folks out there who think you're getting a starting QB....season after season....for 2M plus incentives...you're nuts.

Bridgewater, who I guess is considered a lower end starter, gets 20 plus annually.

I'm still scratching my head over the Bridgewater deal.
:huh:
The guy has never approached what would be considered a great season in his entire career and one team believes he's worth $20 million a year?

doomsday9084

Reaction score
Which serves only to reinforce the fact that finding a quality NFL QB is RARE! In your zeal to attempt to minimize Prescott, Yiu clearly forgot the definition of the word RARE. Take the time to go and look it up.

That's EXACTLY what it means! Lie to yourself, but don't try to lie to me or anyone else. Keep that nonsense inside your head.

The vast majority of teams are happy with their QB situation going into the season this year. As I said, positional rarity is gone with QB much like what happened with RB years ago. If 26 or more NFL teams are satisified with their QB situation, its not a rarity.

If you look around, there are a LOT of QB's that would look really good behind Dallas' line throwing to Coop, Gallup and Lamb with Zeke and Pollard behind them being coached by MM. I'm not sure why people think its a bad thing. Ostensibly, we are all Cowboy fans here and the fact that Dallas is in that good of shape offensively should be considered a positive.

If Dak walks, Dallas would have a ton of capspace and be the best place for a QB to land. I have great confidence that Dallas could replace him rather easily.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The vast majority of teams are happy with their QB situation going into the season this year. As I said, positional rarity is gone with QB much like what happened with RB years ago. If 26 or more NFL teams are satisified with their QB situation, its not a rarity.

Learn math, and the meaning of the word rare. If something is hard to find, that means it's rare. If the NFL can't find 32 starting NFL quarterbacks, that means they are rare.

If you look around, there are a LOT of QB's that would look really good behind Dallas' line throwing to Coop, Gallup and Lamb with Zeke and Pollard behind them being coached by MM. I'm not sure why people think its a bad thing. Ostensibly, we are all Cowboy fans here and the fact that Dallas is in that good of shape offensively should be considered a positive.

Fandom has nothing to do with the fact that there aren't enough quality quarterbacks to go around. And it's not argued that the Dallas offense would provide any quarterback with great tools to work with. Nor does it minimize Prescott. Swing and a miss. Twice.

If Dak walks, Dallas would have a ton of capspace and be the best place for a QB to land. I have great confidence that Dallas could replace him rather easily.

That's called naivete.