Sign DEZ as PR

eromeopolk

Reaction score
That's simply not true. Cobb has the physical abilities to still play and knows how to play WR. Dez doesn't have either.

Cobb averaged 52 catches per year in GB. He had 55 with the Cowboys last year. Exactly how is that a 'come back' year?
If Cobb was so great why did Greenbay let him go? Packers had a youth movement with bigger and faster WRs. There is no WR youth movement in Dallas (see Smith, Austin, Cobb, Hurns). If Dez does not have either physical ability and knowledge to play WR, why was the Super Bowl MVP, 2018 NFL MVP, wasting time working out with a no skills has been WR? How the heck he put up 531 catches, 7459 yards, and 73 TDs in 7 1/2 years (he was not a full time starter until year 2 and missed 7 games in 2015)?

You let geriatric Jason Witten back, you let Romo back for one last ride in the last game of the 2016 season, you let injury prone players back (Lee, Carter, Crawford, Claiborne, Smith, Romo etc.), and you let countless drug addicts and troubled players back (Gregory, Irving, Goodrich, Scandrick, Lawrence, McClain, Crawford, etc.). So what is the real issue Cowboys fans have with a former multi Pro Bowl, career leading TD scoring, and play making WR wanting a second chance? I will say it again, this is hypocrite Cowboy fans, hypocrite Cowboy owner, GM, Player Personnel, and players that don't want or will not let Dez Bryant have a second chance.

Again, do you think Dez Bryant would have been on the sideline with the playoffs on the line in Philly on the last play of the game? I know what WR was that got $100M for being on the sideline. I like Cooper but you would have had physically restrain Dez Bryant to keep him off the field on that play.

Also remember, Dez was cut because he played injured 2 years in a row not letting his body heal (passion to win at any cost), and held everyone accountable to winning. I remember seeing that before...1989 Micheal Irvin tears up his knee and works his way back to the playmaker during the 1990 season. Jimmy kept him, let him heal, and did not trade him. That is why the Cowboys have not seen a Super Bowl because they do not have players with extreme passion for winning. Irvin had to make a list for Jimmy Johnson of players who did not have a passion for winning on the Cowboys in 1989. How many Dez could put on that list for 2020?

Praxit

Reaction score
..I think Big Mike is saying no to Dez. He runs the ship now.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
I can remember Dez being so physically dominant that he would run routes the complete wrong way and still end up making plays. His days of sheer physical dominance are long gone.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I can remember Dez being so physically dominant that he would run routes the complete wrong way and still end up making plays. His days of sheer physical dominance are long gone.
Same for Jason Witten but you kept him on the roster and then brought him back to the roster.

However, I understand your point. Parcells call them Street Ball players, that with on the physical only never taking the time to develop the game. But pure Street Ball players don't last 8 years and end up as your team's all time scoring leader breaking a record that stood for close to 40 years.

joseephuss

Reaction score
If Cobb was so great why did Greenbay let him go? Packers had a youth movement with bigger and faster WRs. There is no WR youth movement in Dallas (see Smith, Austin, Cobb, Hurns). If Dez does not have either physical ability and knowledge to play WR, why was the Super Bowl MVP, 2018 NFL MVP, wasting time working out with a no skills has been WR? How the heck he put up 531 catches, 7459 yards, and 73 TDs in 7 1/2 years (he was not a full time starter until year 2 and missed 7 games in 2015)?

You let geriatric Jason Witten back, you let Romo back for one last ride in the last game of the 2016 season, you let injury prone players back (Lee, Carter, Crawford, Claiborne, Smith, Romo etc.), and you let countless drug addicts and troubled players back (Gregory, Irving, Goodrich, Scandrick, Lawrence, McClain, Crawford, etc.). So what is the real issue Cowboys fans have with a former multi Pro Bowl, career leading TD scoring, and play making WR wanting a second chance? I will say it again, this is hypocrite Cowboy fans, hypocrite Cowboy owner, GM, Player Personnel, and players that don't want or will not let Dez Bryant have a second chance.

Again, do you think Dez Bryant would have been on the sideline with the playoffs on the line in Philly on the last play of the game? I know what WR was that got $100M for being on the sideline. I like Cooper but you would have had physically restrain Dez Bryant to keep him off the field on that play.

Also remember, Dez was cut because he played injured 2 years in a row not letting his body heal (passion to win at any cost), and held everyone accountable to winning. I remember seeing that before...1989 Micheal Irvin tears up his knee and works his way back to the playmaker during the 1990 season. Jimmy kept him, let him heal, and did not trade him. That is why the Cowboys have not seen a Super Bowl because they do not have players with extreme passion for winning. Irvin had to make a list for Jimmy Johnson of players who did not have a passion for winning on the Cowboys in 1989. How many Dez could put on that list for 2020?

What terrible comparisons. Michael Irvin was young at the time and there was no salary cap. Plus Jimmy Johnson had a close relationship and familiarity with Irvin. Dez was released because he had a huge cap hit and wasn't producing up to his contract. McCarthy knows Dez, but there is not attachment at this point. The guys you mentioned didn't sit out 2 seasons before wanting to come back and they certainly didn't trash the team the way Dez did when he left.

Dez and Mahomes working out together is not a big deal. It has no larger meaning. Mahomes has worked out at that facility for many years. Mahomes throws passes to other random guys who workout there as well.

Devin Smith is 27. Tavon Austin just turned 29. He was 27 when he joined Dallas. Randall Cobb is 29. Allen Hurns is 28. Those are not old guys. They also aren't the main targets. Amari Cooper is 25. Michael Gallup is 23. They most likely draft a wide receiver. It may not be a youth movement, but they ain't old.

If they decide to bring Dez back I will hope he helps the team. I just won't have any expectations that he will be dominant or stay healthy.

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
42 career returns 9.3 average and 2TD’s. Bring a spark
Sign him as a 4th wr when this 4 td a year te core sucks again for the 7th consecutive year. We need a guy who can score and Dez is our ALL TIME TD LEADER and weve never replaced that go up a get a ball skillset. I would give him a workout. I guarantee ya he can score more tds than this te core as a 4th wr. Now that #82 is gone they can use a 4th wr like weve been begging for 10 years. Hes also a better blocker so lets see some 10 personell and quit featuring these tes on passing plays until we get a worthy one who can produce against good teams. He didnt become the all time td leader because of his speed. He was a beast w ball in hand and could go up and get a ball and score. Cooper doesnt have those skillset either and this te core are the checkdown masters. Lol. Its a missing skillset and is why we never score beans against good teams. Dez is hungry. Obviously the team isnt in a rush to use the 10 personnel or dual rbs and give up on the te and fb roles until they get a winner. None have made a gamechanging play in 10 years unless it was in LOSING FASHION

Last edited:

CowboysExchange

Reaction score
As long as we have a scrub at te who cant produce against good team we wont WIN BEANS

It looks like the same non scoring bunch on paper to me. Just saying

Just quit overutilizing them as receivers if they have NO SAUCE

I HOPE THIS COACHING STAFF KILLS THAT STUPID 12 PERSONELL AND CUTS BACK ON THE 11 PERSONELL PASSING SCHEME. ITS TRASH AND WILL ALWAYS BE TRASH WITHOUT A GRONK AND HERNANDEZ. ITS ALL HYPE AND NO EXPECTATIONS OR SNAPCOUNT ACCOUNTABILITY

Last edited:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
All these projections, why not just offer him a vet miminum contract, no bonus. If he accepts, cool, if not, cool.

Once he has that, he has to be legit, make the team per the decision of the HC. If he does, cool, if he doesn't, cool.

1. Vet min. contract.
2. Accept the offer with no bonus.
3. Legitably make the team.

For all of the naysayers, that's quite a few steps to make the 53, no less recieve any significant playing time.

IMHO, all upside, no downside since he is not being handed anything, has to earn his playing time. If not, we cut him before the season starts at no cost.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

Not only is Dallas not looking at Bryant, no one is.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The scary part about that post is that you probably believe all of it.

No team is even looking at Bryant. Tells me all I need to know.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
All these projections, why not just offer him a vet miminum contract, no bonus. If he accepts, cool, if not, cool.

Once he has that, he has to be legit, make the team per the decision of the HC. If he does, cool, if he doesn't, cool.

1. Vet min. contract.
2. Accept the offer with no bonus.
3. Legitably make the team.

For all of the naysayers, that's quite a few steps to make the 53, no less recieve any significant playing time.

IMHO, all upside, no downside since he is not being handed anything, has to earn his playing time. If not, we cut him before the season starts at no cost.
Any time around the current team is time he could be a distraction. We saw him have meltdowns when he was in shape, playing well and the no. 1. Why even take that risk? To me, not only has his skills deteriorated but I highly doubt he transformed himself into some team leader.