News: Sign QB to bucks, lose top players

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right and the fact they are paying Dak 19.7 mill not 40 mill keeps getting missed....again what have they done with the other 20 mill everyone thought was gone?

The overall contract is valued at 40 mill. All teams work deals to free up money, Dallas is no exception. For me the bottom line is Dak was signed to a 4 year deal in 2021 had Cowboys signed been able to work a deal back in 2019 they would be paying around 35 mill a year. But we choose to sign him to a franchise tag. Personally I think all QB get paid too much but I also know to have a quality QB you must pay and yes I think Dak is a quality QB, not elite but a quality QB that this team can win with.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
elite money is at 50 mill,
Dak is still top 5. That’s considered elite.

Top-five quarterback contracts (total value)
  1. Patrick Mahomes — $450 million (10 years)
  2. Josh Allen — $258.03 million (6 years)
  3. Deshaun Watson — $230 million (5 years)
  4. Dak Prescott — $160 (4 years)
  5. Aaron Rodgers — $150.8 million (3 years)

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The overall contract is valued at 40 mill. All teams work deals to free up money, Dallas is no exception. For me the bottom line is Dak was signed to a 4 year deal in 2021 had Cowboys signed been able to work a deal back in 2019 they would be paying around 35 mill a year. But we choose to sign him to a franchise tag. Personally I think all QB get paid too much but I also know to have a quality QB you must pay and yes I think Dak is a quality QB, not elite but a quality QB that this team can win with.
Fair assessment . I agree. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way.

Top-five quarterback contracts (average annual salary)
  1. Aaron Rodgers — $50.27 million/year
  2. Deshaun Watson — $46 million/year
  3. Patrick Mahomes — $45 million/year
  4. Josh Allen — $43 million/year
  5. Dak Prescott- $40 million/year

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Fair assessment . I agree. Unfortunately it didn’t work out that way.

Top-five quarterback contracts (average annual salary)
  1. Aaron Rodgers — $50.27 million/year
  2. Deshaun Watson — $46 million/year
  3. Patrick Mahomes — $45 million/year
  4. Josh Allen — $43 million/year

It is what it is, Myself I'm glad we have Prescott, I think we can win with him. Some feel different that is their opinion but we all know what opinion are like and we all have one.

Flamma

Reaction score
I hate the term "market value" as a be-all for all quarterbacks.

Mayfield isn't worth market value. That Watson contract is ridiculous. Burrow and Herbert are worth it; just because a quarterback is done with his rookie deal doesn't mean he's great all of the sudden.

Don't pay an average QB like he's elite. Ever.

I agree. They price gouge because they are counting on you not having another choice. And some fans are ok with it.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I agree. They price gouge because they are counting on you not having another choice. And some fans are ok with it.

Doesn't matter if we're okay with it, or not. As long as owners keep paying it's not going to change.

75boyz

Reaction score
You're buying into the front office's line of BS.
The truth is that we lack professional football people in our front office.
They take things very personally and do not act professionally. They are very old school in that way.
I don't love Dak, nor do I hate him. Is he overpaid? Absolutely. But that is not keeping the team from keeping it's players.
Dak does not take up 40 mil in cap space. His number this year is 19.73, not 40. That is how much of our 208 cap he takes up.
Look at the Rams. They have pros running the team. They understand that the cap, while technically a hard cap, is also fluid.
Do you realize that Cooper is costing the Cowboys 6 mil in cap space this year, and costing the Browns just 4.9?
That is poor asset management. Not just poor, atrocious.
If you had an issue with Cooper and want to move him, be it his motivation or the vaccine thing or whatever, you build his value, then trade him for an asset. You don't bad mouth him and announce if we can't trade him we will cut him. We could have easily restructered him and kept him for about what he is costing us to play for the Browns this season.
They acted personally, not professionally. Same with Collins, and even the Gregory thing would not happen to a professionally managed team.
In the immortal words of Bob Sugar, "It aint show friends, it's show business".
The Cap is set to explode in the coming years. Teams spending this year are smart, as they will lock in players at today's pricing.
The Cap has been limited by Covid the last 2 years, but that is coming to an end.
The NFL signed HUGE new TV deals. Projections are the Cap could increase 40 mil just next season, and hit 308 by 2026.
Coopers 20 mil per year looked bad last year for sure. But the WR market has already been reset. Adams, Hill and Godwin far surpassed Coops number, and that trend will continue in the coming years as the Cap explodes. Get ready to see average WRs get 20+, and Coop is much better than average.
Our owners are set in the past. They don't understand how to run a modern sports franchise.
The sad truth is the most valuable franchise is professional sports is managed by the keystone cops.

Agree. Great post.

75boyz

Reaction score
I hate the term "market value" as a be-all for all quarterbacks.

Mayfield isn't worth market value. That Watson contract is ridiculous. Burrow and Herbert are worth it; just because a quarterback is done with his rookie deal doesn't mean he's great all of the sudden.

Don't pay an average QB like he's elite. Ever.

Excellent post. Very well reasoned.

75boyz

Reaction score
This is an interesting point. I hadn’t seen this before.

And I think this is probably why Jethro was trying to prop Prescott up the last couple years even on Franchise Tag so he would be viewed as more deserving of a Top 5 contract. I believe this drove the trade for Cooper in 2018 and Elliotts contract to prop up Prescott so he’d be viewed as deserving of a big contract.

For the sake of argument Jethro would have probably been criticized if he hadn’t resigned Prescott who was viewed in most circles as enough to build around .Part of the the problem Jethro and our front office helped create as they publicly hyped him as a top QB in the league which appeared to serve as support to meet his contract demands.

And truth be known it’s entirely possible Jethro and those in Cowboys organization believed he was that Top 5 caliber QB.

But I don’t think Jethro had any intentions on cutting ties with Prescott. He’s been All-In on him since he released Romo . Like we’ve seen in past decisions our egotistical driven owner is often determined to prove he was right.

Well stated regarding Jerry's overpaying of his choices.
Dak, Zeke and Lawrence are prime examples of how Jerry marketed these post contract signings and provided a preview into his marketing genius.

To get us suckers to tune in to Jerry's hand picked array of so called stars, lol.
Once the ink is dried the PR is set in motion as to promoting said player as top 3 or 5 at his position or "why would Jerry ever pay him that much?"

So, wherever you're at on what number these 3 actually fall at now(imo all below top 5 performers) regarding their performance level at their positions, Jerry's systematic and fully intentional contract overpayment accomplished his sales job.

It's becoming my tiresome cliche. He might not can build a champion if his life depended on it...

But the boy can flat out sell.

In Jerry's eyes good equals elite because he's not a real GM And does not know the difference between good and elite. So Jerrys good draft choice will be paid as elite. And this has become a foundational selling principle to Cowboy ratings and revenue success..

And here we are.

Last edited: