News: Sign QB to bucks, lose top players

RomoplusDezEquals7

Reaction score
Dak's contract isn't hindering it. 19 mill is not hindering us.

What is, is the money we are paying swipe, the albatross contract of Zeke and the , up until now, 4.6 sacks per year last 3 years out of the great DLAW.

Dak has performed up to his contract.

They restructured to get to that number. Now his cap hit the two seasons after this are 49 million and 52 million. He absolutely has not played up to his contract. Tine will tell if he does, but with this team getting worse I'm skeptical.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Here is a good article explaining what happens when you give the qb big bucks. We all already know this, so why is everyone so surprised? A couple of things are garbage in the article as it applies to Dallas, but the fallout from Rodgers and mahomes deals is evident.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/how-40...scott-are-losing-the-offseason-001036835.html
Rams did it and signed Allen Robinson. we signed QB to big bucks, but cap hit is small. we have the 5th most cap space as of today.

yes, its kicking the can down the road. but you are more worried about down the road. the inability of this front office to evaluate/assess the right players and proper coaching has handicapped this team for much longer than you think. when Dak was making 500K, this was the same team, so this sign the QB to big contract stuff is BS. again, there is a point you pay the price, but if you win in the process who cares...the problem is we haven't won in the process.

and what's the solution? go cheap on QB? go bottom of the league. sign up Andy Dalton. if you can't assess properly, doesn't matter if you have 80M cap space, you are going to sign the wrong players....

CWR

Reaction score
yeah!! and jerry was sniffing the crap out of socks and jocks and didn't get any credit. I wish jerry had hide jimmy's hair spray.
I give jerry the credit for buying all those super bowls. jimmy just was a walk-around dude.

I think you've gone off the deep end. I haven't seen a post of yours that wasn't dripping in sarcasm in about a week. Embrace the suck. Lol

fivetwos

Reaction score
Here is a good article explaining what happens when you give the qb big bucks. We all already know this, so why is everyone so surprised? A couple of things are garbage in the article as it applies to Dallas, but the fallout from Rodgers and mahomes deals is evident.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/how-40...scott-are-losing-the-offseason-001036835.html
Well hopefully Dak will get the point by the time of the next extension/restructure.

Thing is....anything not taken by him will likely result in us giving our mid round draft picks who have done very little all that much more money.

It won't result in being able to get a Von Miller vs not.

Whenever we pass on those types it's never about being ABLE to do it....it's about wanting to get better.

Over rating your own because the people you hire to tell you you're great do exactly that......well we all understand by now

Ken

Reaction score
They restructured to get to that number. Now his cap hit the two seasons after this are 49 million and 52 million. He absolutely has not played up to his contract. Tine will tell if he does, but with this team getting worse I'm skeptical.
Which will be restructered again and again.

The cap is going thru the roof the next couple of years too.

Sorry, he has absolutely played up to his contract, you are just jaded.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
So you solution is, what? Don't have a top QB? Unless there is a league-wide adjustment where QB's stop getting paid so much, there isn't anything you can do unless you just want a JAG QB.

And that's also the point of a salary cap - so you can't make super teams.

Nobody is suggesting you make super teams, the issue is that QBs are taking an enormous amount of cap space that it hinders getting even very good players at important positions. How many QBs are going to get broken in half because the money they make kills the money you can put into an offensive line?

The owners will eventually rethink the contracts they give to QBs. Look at the last decade of QBs that have won Super Bowls. There are very few of them that are on the sizeable contracts that Mahomes and Rodgers get - and they sure as hell don't get rings mid-way through said contract after they lose pieces around them. One of the worst parts of these contracts is that it ends up impacting the offensive line first, you can't keep that many quality guys to protect your QB...that you are giving that much money to.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
The reality of it snd where the Joneses failed us signing him for 20 mil or less early on. Create your own market. They talked about this on the Ticket. They were confused on Dak and kept “giving him one more look.” Make the decision. They got the market thrust on them. Mahomes was always going to get paid but they are into the expensive years. I thought the Rodgers deal was plain dumb but oh well. Great QB but obscene

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
This thread would make sense if we were not way under the cap right now.

Blame Stephan's tactics as to why we are not signing anyone

bonafidebanter

Reaction score
QB is the one position in the league where you really only have two viable paths at QB:

#1. Top-performing QB on a cheap/rookie contract
#2. Top-performing QB on an expensive contract based on their body of work

#1 will always become #2 and if you're lucky enough to cash in with a SB in #1, good for you. But when that becomes #2, you have less to spend as a team and need to make some more economical decisions.
What happened when we had #1? I guess we weren't lucky enough. Then, it became #2. We didn't/couldn't take advantage of the top performing rookie of the year contract. So, it was bound to turn into #2 and here we are. That sounds like a FO issue all day long.

phildadon86

Reaction score
This thread would make sense if we were not way under the cap right now.

Blame Stephan's tactics as to why we are not signing anyone
You mean you arent supposed to do due diligence on potential players during FA? Jeeze. Who knew.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
You mean you arent supposed to do due diligence on potential players during FA? Jeeze. Who knew.

Offering pennies and doing your due diligence are two different things. Anyone who does not kneel at the Jones's alter can tell the difference.

aikemirv

Reaction score
GB & KC are losing players. Dallas has not lost any players.
The Cooper trade was going to happen no matter what. It was him or Gallup. Even before Dak's contract, it was one of the other. It has been discussed over and over going back ever since Cooper came here.

They aren't signing any top FA's, not because of lack of cap space nor Dak's contract. But because that is the way they always have been.
Williams and Gregory, yeah, well, 98% of the fans wanted them gone anyway.

This has not effected Dallas...yet...
Disagree, losing Cooper will effect Dallas. I think they thought they were signing Gregory with that money and that fell thru - Wagner is asking too much for an old man and Von Miller got way too much for an old man. Now they got Cooper's 20 million and don't know how to spend it - is TM worth what he is asking. I just think now they don't like the perceived value they are getting for their money and would take Cooper back if they could!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
dang ken, settle down. we know you at infatuated with dak. Sheesh, I guess I'll go the library is closing down. l8r. and tone down the infatuation, sheesh let somebody else get some protecting dak posts up.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score

The collective win-loss of those three teams was 37-10. Amari could easily still be on the roster with a simple restructure. An aging, declining running back is counting 18 million on the cap… 18 MILLION. Hill was traded for five picks, Mahomes or no Mahomes I make that deal all day. Maybe they should be looking at Chris Jones who is count 28mill on the cap? Adams is counting 8mill on the cap this year. He netted the Packers two premium picks. Some guy named Dean Lowry is counting 8mill on the cap btw.

lk8701

Reaction score
So you solution is, what? Don't have a top QB? Unless there is a league-wide adjustment where QB's stop getting paid so much, there isn't anything you can do unless you just want a JAG QB.

And that's also the point of a salary cap - so you can't make super teams.

I wish there wasn't a salary cap for re-signing your own players just a salary cap for outside free agents. Teams should be rewarded for drafting well.

CWR

Reaction score

He has 2 void years. We will restructure again. His cap hit should average approximately 30 million per year after this season. Although when we get closer to guaranteed money we may move on and absorb the dead money.