Since it is Halloween, list your fave Horror movies

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I really like the original "Texas Chainsaw Massacre". But I just don't have the warm feelings for it to say it's a classic in my book... Not sure why not, but whatever. I know it's held in high regard my many.

Personally I feel "Black Christmas" is a far scarier film than "TCM".

"Blair Witch". Seems like it's in vogue to knock "Blair Witch" today, but I still consider it a great film. I think many dislike it simply because it did usher in the "found footage" era, in which most of the entries were trash (but there were a few good ones like "Troll Hunter".
I think Blair Witch was always somewhat polarizing. I get it because it really is alot of walking around the woods arguing. I think alot of people that didnt like that expected more traditional. That an the fact that it did usher in a genre that became very superb. But I think you could say the thing about the original Halloween and all the cheesy 80's knockoffs. It shouldnt diminish a great film

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I love a lot of the old horror movies. A couple that haven't been mentioned:

Motel Hell
Prophecy (Bear, not Walken)
The Car
The Frighteners
The Entity
The Fog
Reanimator
Basket Case
Trilogy of Terror
They Live (maybe not horror)
Abbott and Costello meet Frankenstein (big Abbott and Costello fan)
It Lives

Of course my all time favorite is the Alien franchise.

Do y'all remember the Night Gallery TV series? Rod Serling. I loved it. Also, The Night Stalker.

Some real gems there...

"Motel Hell" is a hoot. Having folks planted in the ground like carrots whigged me when I watched it the first time.

"The Fog" (John Carpenter's version) was another of his films that was received sorta ho-hum at the time but has grown in stature over the years.

"Reanimator" is another wild ride.

"It Lives" has one of the best fight scenes in any movie period. I find it unfortunate that Roddy Piper did not get more opportunities to star in film.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, aren’t we forgetting the one that made theater goers get their feet up off the floor? The only thing that kept Jaws from being perfect horror fare was we could avoid him by staying he hell out of the ocean. Freddy wants you, he can get you even in your dreams.

And speaking of “Jaws”, and I was, how critical is the score to a horror movie? “Alien”, “Predator”, “The Relic” and “Halloween” we’re masters of the use of the score as the scene setter. The minute that iconic score comes on tonight when I watch “Halloween”, I will be primed. That is such a critical part of it, the producers of the new one had Carpenter do the music for it.

The repeat trips to the theater to see “Jaws” and “Alien” allowed me to watch the audience when the themes played and there was definitely some seat shuffling and evidence of discomfort that I had not been able to see on my first visit because I was one of them.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Blair Witch was always somewhat polarizing. I get it because it really is alot of walking around the woods arguing. I think alot of people that didnt like that expected more traditional. That an the fact that it did usher in a genre that became very superb. But I think you could say the thing about the original Halloween and all the cheesy 80's knockoffs. It shouldnt diminish a great film

I agree.

Yep I thought it was great.

I immediately 'got' the connection it had in its documentary filming style to "Legend of Boggy Creek".

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, aren’t we forgetting the one that made theater goers get their feet up off the floor? The only thing that kept Jaws from being perfect horror fare was we could avoid him by staying he hell out of the ocean. Freddy wants you, he can get you even in your dreams.

And speaking of “Jaws”, and I was, how critical is the score to a horror movie? “Alien”, “Predator”, “The Relic” and “Halloween” we’re masters of the use of the score as the scene setter. The minute that iconic score comes on tonight when I watch “Halloween”, I will be primed. That is such a critical part of it, the producers of the new one had Carpenter do the music for it.

The repeat trips to the theater to see “Jaws” and “Alien” allowed me to watch the audience when the themes played and there was definitely some seat shuffling and evidence of discomfort that I had not been able to see on my first visit because I was one of them.

"Jaws" is one of my top-10 all-time films. I just don't connect it to the horror genre, even though an argument could certainly be made that it is. There are several films like that ("Aliens" for instance) that could be classified in more than one genre. But I love "Jaws". Quint is one of my all-time favorite characters.

GMO415

Reaction score
tenor.gif

giphy.gif

latest

tumblr_mxckojlSAr1rne776o1_500.gif

giphy.gif

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I see you've got the "Dawn of the Dead" remake in there.

That film reminds me of "Jeepers Creepers" in that the beginning is excellent but the film peters out over the last half. I'll quite often watch it up until they the van arrives at the mall with the additional characters... After that the story weakens considerably.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"Jaws" is one of my top-10 all-time films. I just don't connect it to the horror genre, even though an argument could certainly be made that it is. There are several films like that ("Aliens" for instance) that could be classified in more than one genre. But I love "Jaws". Quint is one of my all-time favorite characters.
There are sub genre within the category according to the size and origin of the monster to me. Big ones don’t scare me.

If something can hide under the bed, in the closet or behind the door, that’s primo horror. I left out in the backseat of the car because I never fail to check there before getting in and checking several times while driving in case I missed something the first time.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

It's interesting to watch Jaws today after all the advances in filmmaking since that time. At the time we marveled at how lifelike the shark seemed, but by today's standards it looks a bit second rate. Still a good movie though.

GMO415

Reaction score
It's interesting to watch Jaws today after all the advances in filmmaking since that time. At the time we marveled at how lifelike the shark seemed, but by today's standards it looks a bit second rate. Still a good movie though.
Wasn't Jaws up for Best Picture? Still a great movie!

nobody

Reaction score
Yep...that kid floating in front of the window and scratching...scary as a kid.

Watch it now and it is not scary at all but back at that time it sure was lol.

Yeah it is completely cheesy now, but that nostalgia factor makes me still love it.

nobody

Reaction score
That scene exactly. I remember my roommate and I years ago talking about how much that scared us, so we rented it (on VHS; this was a long time ago). And...it's unwatchably cheesy. But it's amazing how many of us were freaked out by that scene.

One that hasn't been mentioned: Ginger Snaps. It's one of the greatest feminist teenage werewolf movies ever to come out of Canada.

lol, yeah. But still the look of the vampire is pretty good for a tv movie.