Since its a bye week...

Connection20

Reaction score
I played WR and CB all through pee-wee, middle school and high school. I was told by my coaches that I had NFL quality hands but I was too short and too slow. 5'8" at the time, 4.66 is the fastest I ever ran, usually I was closer to 4.75. Its funny that this thread came up at this time though, because I actually played back yard ball for the first time in a LONG time on Tuesday. I played with about 4 guys I already knew and about 20 I never met before. They were actually comparing me to TO after we played. They kept talking about how good I am at shielding the defender from the ball, and how great my hands were. Felt good. Then they changed thier minds and said I compared more to Irvin than TO cause TO is so explosive and fast...and Im not, nor was Irvin. oh, number 20 by the way

Funxva

Inventor of the Whizzinator
Reaction score
Played Corner, Wide Reciever, and (Gasp) Defensive end sometimes.. Though DE was my freshman year because we didn't have anyone else... Mainly Corner and WR.

I currently play flag football for work, and I play Wideout and free safety. (work for the Army)

DallasDomination

Reaction score
QB during my youngster and Middle school years.

No Highschool though:( ..To much distractions during those years for me.

Deb

Zoner
Reaction score
as a female....just trying to catch up on the basics.....from asking a lot of questions.....that you guys would know....playing even pee wee football or flag. I just recently learned the passing tree....what a Y and Z receiver are.....the strong side, the weak side...the huddle calls what they mean...what they are saying....for example the first word in any formation will always indicate strength...I dunno just think having actually played it on some level...gives you a more foresight into trying to analyze and even post after a game than someone like me. So I am enjoying this thread.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
In High School I played RB and LB, and was the backup QB. I still think I was better than the starter and should have been the starting QB but...them's the breaks. I wore #12.

In college I was the backup FB. I never got to play a single down. I blew out my right knee badly. The Dr. told me no more football. I think that hurt worse than the injury did. I wore #24.

dback

Reaction score
Manster68 said:
Played guard and defensive end at Stevens High School in Claremont, NH. We didn't do too well, going only 2-7.

I was only 180 pounds at the time. I tended to bounce off the defensive linemen.

After retirement from the Navy, I finished my degree in Education at the University of Southern Mississippi. Been on the MS gulf coast now since 2000 and have gone to many high school football games.

Two Freshmen to look for are Richard Dickson, the starting TE for LSU. He was an All-American at Ocean Springs, MS last year.

The other is Damion Fletcher, the starting tailback at Southern Miss. He was outstanding playing tailback in Biloxi the last sevral years. This kid can fly!

Oh yeah, last Saturday, Fletcher had 177 yards against NC State. You will be able to see Fletcher and Southern Miss next Tuesday on ESPN.

My story is very similar to this. I played in High School for Lake View in San Angelo and we went 4-6 in my junior year and only 2-8 in my senior season. I played OT, DE and long snapper while weighing only 185 pounds. I remember bouncing off of many big DTs when I had to block down. I wore number 68 in high school.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Played high school, WR and MLB...

I ran the greatest post pattern ever...with the help of a very slight push off right at the break in the pattern...but I never got caught.

:)

I wore #19 because I really liked Lance Rentzel...uh, then after his uh, coming out party, I decided to like Lance Alworth because at that point people had already been calling me "Lance"...So, to Lance Alworth's parents, that you VERY much for naming your kid "Lance"

At MLB my main objective was to cause serious physical harm to the opposition. I was an angry kid.

cowboyed

Reaction score
I played ref and helped move the chains when my son was playing tight end and linebacker in the Pop Warner league. You have to have strong wrists and great lateral movement....

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Hostile said:
In High School I played RB and LB, and was the backup QB. I still think I was better than the starter and should have been the starting QB but...them's the breaks. I wore #12.

In college I was the backup FB. I never got to play a single down. I blew out my right knee badly. The Dr. told me no more football. I think that hurt worse than the injury did. I wore #24.

The most underappreciated position in football.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I played Tight End my freshman and sophomore year and wore 88.

I started at quarterback my Junior year and wore 12.

But I tore my ACL, MCL, and dislocated my knee cap; and I never got to play again.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Played for the Thomas Dale Knights in high school...#50...we won 3-4 District Titles and 2-3 Regional titles. I played DE and C last 2 years. Coach said I should play as a long snapper in college because I could rip it for 15 yards, to the point that I was replaced a couple of times for snapping it through the hands of the punter...yippee skippy...I said he was freakin' nuts if he thought I was going to continue to pound my body and neck just to stick my head between my legs and snap for special teams...I didn't have the genetics for anything more than that.

I coached on the varsity level for 7 years, during which we won 6 district titles, 4 regional titles, and lost a state title at the AAA level by a 37 fg with less than a minute left in the game. When I realized I was making about 8 cents an hour and had two kids at home that I was paying a babysitter for during August while I was sweating at football, I decided only an idiot would keep accepting the answer, "You love it" when the question of pay came up.

I missed it for one year, mostly on Friday nights...best decision I ever made.

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
Defensive end, Tight end, Guard, Tackle, Outside Linebacker

#88 as tight end
#59 as everything else

hopefully i can get my knee back and play at georgia southern.

and long snapper :D

Cowboys&Caps

Reaction score
MikeCowboy3189 said:
But I tore my ACL, MCL, and dislocated my knee cap; and I never got to play again.

wow thats rough, i just had Acl Mcl did the knee cap make it alot worse?? i can almost do everything now. but its been 8 months.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Never played a down of organized football after 8th grade. Was a flanker, the fastest white boy on the team. Got a concussion in a game, kind of the same way Trent Green did, had seven epileptic seizures in the next year and a half, and had to wait three years longer than my firends to get my driver's license.

28 years later, I'm still on 200 mg of dilantin daily because of that hit.

Oh yeah, I was #44

Ren

Reaction score
Played amature football on two levels here in Norway the 15-18 year old level and the 18+
played WR then later CB, my # was 15 i loved every secund of it

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WR & CB, no. 21 growing up through Jr. High. Achilles injury / operation. Couldn't / didn't play anymore on a competitive level. Just played amongst friends after.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
J.Jones21 said:
wow thats rough, i just had Acl Mcl did the knee cap make it alot worse?? i can almost do everything now. but its been 8 months.

Yeah it left a lot of debris floating around and it took a couple of surgeries to clean it out. I didn't make it back in time for my senior year, so I never played again.

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
6 man football from ages 7-9, then 8 man football 10-11 years old. Pop Warner when I was 12 where I played DT in 3-4 defense and OT on offense (Small town had to play both ways).

In HS our freshman team was 8-1 and again I started at DT and OT. Same positions next year on the JV team (we played on Monday, but suited up for Saturdays game, I played ST and part time LB).

Jr. and Sr. years I played inside LB and middle LB for out goaline defense. I called all of the defensive plays. On offense I started mainly at RT (175 lbs) but played every position on the line except center. I was also the short yardage/goaline FB.

Was going to play at Western CT State U., but its a long story for another time.

I could write pages and pages of this stuff, because playing football was easily the happiest time of my life. I wish it could have gone on forever.

My HS games were taped on 8mm film and I've always said I wanted to get those tapes and convert them to VHS, well I guess now DVD.

I am happy and sad writing this...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Junior High - # 88 starting WR All district - Starting Kicker/Punter/MLB
Went to Cleburne High as a Freshman and was going to be put on the starting WR role on the varsity team, but then My Dad came and made me go to a private school my entire Highschool life and ruined my career -

Played some semi-pro in arlington tx as a WR # 81 for the panthers.

I should've been getting ready to retire as a Dallas Cowboy next year -;)