Since its a bye week...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
Never played a down of organized football after 8th grade. Was a flanker, the fastest white boy on the team. Got a concussion in a game, kind of the same way Trent Green did, had seven epileptic seizures in the next year and a half, and had to wait three years longer than my firends to get my driver's license.

28 years later, I'm still on 200 mg of dilantin daily because of that hit.

Oh yeah, I was #44
Sad story - thanks for sharing

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
High School Football AAAAA school 3 year starter at WR and DB. (only person on the team that played both ways) I was #9.

Im 20, I play Semi-Pro Im a WR #81. Last name is Owen, so naturally all my teamates call me T.O haha. Georgia Lions. yes sir! Hopefully i'll get signed by an arena team in the next two years, I'm good enough.

notherbob

Reaction score
I always wanted to play HS football but got cut every year. I was only an average football player but our team's best swimmer, so my swimming coach always got the football coach to cut me. Our HS had 25 intramural teams playing six-man ball so that's where I played my football and my team won the championship in my Jr. and Sr. years. We didn't have jerseys, much less numbers, you just knew who your teammates were and we didn't have pads or helmets either. The hitting is up close and personal and kinda self-limiting that way.

It was the most fun I ever had in my whole life; it lets you run and block and tackle and throw and catch and there's strategy and thinking involved as well...it has everything a boy loves. You can do everything just short of actual fighting. It was the king of games for me.

Everybody plays at their own level and it's all good. Even powder puff games are sweet. You don't have to be a head-hunter to enjoy yourself. You can always tell the ones who have played the game when they're watching TV, they're always juking and jiving with the ball carrier while squirming in their seats. Scoring a touchdown is always the greatest feeling in the world, even if it's only a makeup sandlot game. :)

ghst187

Reaction score
CB but probably would've moved to S had I not chosen basketball over football in college. I was fast but not 4.4 fast. But I could play the ball extremely well and catch anything.
Also played RB but I was a speedy, shifty back so running between the tackles wasn't my forte...they liked to get me to the corner with off-tackle runs, pitches, sweeps, and my favorite, the flare pass in the flat. Put me one-on-one in the open field with a LB, DB, or DE and he was toast.

I remember in HS they called a pass out in the flat for me...the QB threw it WAY too high but I was able to gather myself, jump, and tip it to myself then break a tackle and take it 50 yds to the house. Holding penalty brought it back but we called the exact same play again. This time the defense was ready for it but the pass was good and I made two DBs look like idiots and took it to the house again...this time no flags. ahhh good times!

looking back, had I chosen football over basketball, I probably would've gone farther because there are more opportunities and basketball is probably one of, if not THE, toughest sports to make it to D-I in.
Of course, I probably missed out on a lot of injuries too...

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
percyhoward said:
Never played a down of organized football after 8th grade. Was a flanker, the fastest white boy on the team. Got a concussion in a game, kind of the same way Trent Green did, had seven epileptic seizures in the next year and a half, and had to wait three years longer than my firends to get my driver's license.

28 years later, I'm still on 200 mg of dilantin daily because of that hit.

Oh yeah, I was #44

That's a tough break. I'm sorry to hear that.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Arch Stanton said:
That's a tough break. I'm sorry to hear that.
No big deal, really. I still lead a so-called normal life. It was a congenital thing, so I guess it was bound to happen eventually.

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Oooooo...you know he's gonna be out to get you for that one :D

I'll just make myself look like a goal post and he'll miss me, wide right.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
Don't let Hos kid ya....he was a placekicker.
:eek:

Dear mercy what did I ever do to you?

Not enough ice in the North Pole to ease the swelling from that.

Deb

Zoner
Reaction score
what started as a thread to pass the bye week....instead became stories in some cases of such courage, strength, disappointment sometimes...and they touched me. A sincere thanks to some great people

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Juke99 said:
I'll just make myself look like a goal post and he'll miss me, wide right.
Well, they are thin and yellow...okay, that could work.

:grin:

JackMagist

The Great Communicator
Reaction score
Deb said:
what started as a thread to pass the bye week....instead became stories in some cases of such courage, strength, disappointment sometimes...and they touched me. A sincere thanks to some great people
Our pleasure Deb...I've never meet a former football player who didn't like to occasionally revisit the Glory Days.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
JackMagist said:
Our pleasure Deb...I've never meet a former football player who didn't like to occasionally revisit the Glory Days.
Exactly. The older I get, the better I was.

:wink2:

Deb

Zoner
Reaction score
Getting visions of Al Bundy and his Four TDs in one game LOL

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Deb said:
Getting visions of Al Bundy and his Four TDs in one game LOL

Not against my team he didn't !

Great point, I really miss those days. It's part of the reason I'm addicted to the Cowboys.

Deb

Zoner
Reaction score
Jarv...anyone I've ever talked to that has played it on any level ...has said they miss those days and always look back. I've never heard any other sport talked about the same way

Juke99

...Abbey someone
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Well, they are thin and yellow...okay, that could work.

:grin:

:laugh2:

revolvingdoor.jpg