Since the score was 34-24 with time running out, kicking a FG was weird

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
I mean I am sure we were all thinking 2 TD's to win the game 38-34. So why kick it on 4th and 5 when it's not that much time left and you are driving to score a TD. If it was 6 mins left then yes I would kick the FG but we had come from such a huge hole that it really made no sense to even go for it. Did Garrett want to play for OT????

I truly hate this coach
I can't even believe this needs to be explained to you. I hope someone else did because I have no more time for your ignorance.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Onside kicks were successful 7% of the time last year. Teams are 0 for 13 so far this season. We weren't winning either way.

They were 21% in 2017, but then they changed the rules for "safety" reasons. Onside kicks are basically useless now.

Exactly...………virtually impossible to recover an onside now...……...the game was already over, Maher missing the kick just added failure theater.

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score
gutless FGs is what garrett is all about, while other teams risk it all on 4th downs, ...

we play scared , gutless , we score FGs .

at 31-3 in the 3rd Qtr with 3 minutes left ... we had scored 1 FG .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I mean I am sure we were all thinking 2 TD's to win the game 38-34. So why kick it on 4th and 5 when it's not that much time left and you are driving to score a TD. If it was 6 mins left then yes I would kick the FG but we had come from such a huge hole that it really made no sense to even go for it. Did Garrett want to play for OT????

I truly hate this coach
We needed 10 points to extend the game.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I would have actually gone the other way. Instead of waiting to kick the fg I would have made the attempt as soon as you were in range. They had an opportunity with about 2:10 on the clock with 2 timeouts. You could have had a chance to stop the clock 3 times and got the ball back without depending on a longshot onside kick.

DandyDon52

Reaction score
I thought being close to the endzone it made sense to try and get the 5 yards and the td first. If we make that fg and get the onside kick. Going to be a lot harder to drive for a td with 1:30 left no timeouts
yeah I was thinking same thing, and really getting the onside kick is near impossible now for a good team, and dallas is not a good team, and has
no chance on a onside kick.

Cowfan75

Reaction score
Yes Daddy, please explain another realistic option here.

I never said the kick wasn't an option after the 2:00 minute warning. I know you're just quick to try to argue with any fan, and that causes you to miss most of the discussions that you try to jump into, but if you want to argue with someone, please ask your parents, or an adult, for help. Cheers.

Big_D

Reaction score
Every team on the planet kicks the FG there. You’re playing for the tie at that point.. you need 2 scores. And you’re taking the highest percentage road to get there. FG, onside kick.

foofighters

Reaction score

I truly hate this coach
Clock Management...Something Garrett doesn't get. We had plenty of time once we got the RZ. We took three shots into the endzone. Instead, we had time to still go the middle of the field for a possible first down and run Zeke for a TD. We still would have time to try an onside kick and a few yards for field goal attempt that our idiot kicker would have probably missed.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I thought it foolish to play D-1 ball for three quarters, then try and salvage a twenty-eight point deficit. JMO

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

I truly hate this coach
I agree. kicking a field goal was weird. you need to scores to at least tie and that's what you are thinking. you have to you have to you have to get a TD first...try an onside kick and get the ball or make a stop and get the ball and get in position for a long field goal with less than 2 minutes to go...kicking a field goal will only put you in position to have to score a TD just to tie....

that was a bad call at that time...you either go for it on 4th and put everything on the line.....because onside kick is hard to get back...with one time out, stopping them from running out the clock would be hard

bad coaching decision.

Tommy

Reaction score

I truly hate this coach
Kicking the FG was the right call.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Coach was right. If the first drive stalls, you need 3 and you need to maximize the time you’d have left for a possible last possession. Win in overtime.

With more time left, you play for the TD. The third pick with the blown illegal contact call made that impossible.

32BellyOption

Reaction score

I truly hate this coach

Not weird at all and absolutely the correct call.

Plankton

Reaction score
If settling for that field goal results in Brett Maher no longer being the Cowboy kicker, then I'll take it.