Since the score was 34-24 with time running out, kicking a FG was weird

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You don’t get the TD game over. You hope you score with the first 3 downs. You don’t throw the game away on 4th. That was the right decision. Maher blew it.

You have a higher chance of kicking the field goal (although even that is arguable with Maher). But you have a lower chance of driving the full field for a td.

Big_D

Reaction score
You have a higher chance of kicking the field goal (although even that is arguable with Maher). But you have a lower chance of driving the full field for a td.

You gotta move within a score. The entire scenario is a long shot, but the team was moving the ball through the air pretty well all game. It sucks to take the 3 but on 4th down you take it and see how the onside kick goes?! We’ve seen this scenario many times around the league. Most teams will take the FG and live another play.

CB61

Reaction score
I mean I am sure we were all thinking 2 TD's to win the game 38-34. So why kick it on 4th and 5 when it's not that much time left and you are driving to score a TD. If it was 6 mins left then yes I would kick the FG but we had come from such a huge hole that it really made no sense to even go for it. Did Garrett want to play for OT????

I truly hate this coach
Well the conventional thinking is 10 points would tie the game so you kick the field goal and have a chance of trying an onside kick which those chances are not very good these days with the new rules but it's exactly what I would expect out of this coach it took him five years to actually think about going for it on Fourth Downs although he seemed to really struggle with this he eventually did try it more out of necessity than anything else especially after being criticized by his owner for not going for it earlier in the season? Typical Jason Garrett coaching statue like clapping toy monkey remember the one with the cymbols?

Elusiv1

Reaction score
Maher didn't even give us a chance. We had another stupid penalty but always does crap like that..Half of his extra points are always hooking left or right. He can never get one right down the middle.

jaythecowboy

Reaction score
You gotta move within a score. The entire scenario is a long shot, but the team was moving the ball through the air pretty well all game. It sucks to take the 3 but on 4th down you take it and see how the onside kick goes?! We’ve seen this scenario many times around the league. Most teams will take the FG and live another play.

If you get the touchdown first, you also give yourself a chance to win the game assuming you recover the onside kick. You might be able to get a second touchdown.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
With the rule changes last year onside kicks are practically useless now, anyway.

2018: 53 onside kicks, only 4 successful recoveries.
This year? 12 onside kicks and no one has been successful, yet.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I mean I am sure we were all thinking 2 TD's to win the game 38-34. So why kick it on 4th and 5 when it's not that much time left and you are driving to score a TD. If it was 6 mins left then yes I would kick the FG but we had come from such a huge hole that it really made no sense to even go for it. Did Garrett want to play for OT????

I truly hate this coach

The game was over when we reached and played thru the 2 minute warning. That was a terrible coaching decission.

We should have kicked a FG when we were in range. After that just a normal kick. We had 2 TOs and the 2 minute warning to stop them and try to score another TD.

Bad game Management at the end. Aa always under Garrett. No feel for the game at all.

droopdog7

Reaction score
So clearly the OP has no clue. The FG was pretty much the ONLY call in that situation. In fact, I’ve seen coaches kick the FG before they even got to 4th down to conserve time.

The last thing you want to do is use up all your time to try and score a TD because that’s what the defense wants you to do.

kskboys

Reaction score
So clearly the OP has no clue. The FG was pretty much the ONLY call in that situation. In fact, I’ve seen coaches kick the FG before they even got to 4th down to conserve time.

The last thing you want to do is use up all your time to try and score a TD because that’s what the defense wants you to do.
Yup. Kick the FG w/ 220 left and a TO.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I thought being close to the endzone it made sense to try and get the 5 yards and the td first. If we make that fg and get the onside kick. Going to be a lot harder to drive for a td with 1:30 left no timeouts

That's because you're trying to maximize our chance to win the game, not maximize our chance to score now.

That's not Garrett.

Garrett literally expressed the "worry about the next score" after the *second* game he left too much time for Rodgers to come back for the win.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Will there be more time to go 50 yards for a TD after an onsides kick than driving from the 10 now?

The actual time saver is going for the TD now.

The key trade off is the probability to convert the current 4th and the current drive to a TD and get a fg after vs. the probability of converting the FG now and mounting a 50+ yard drive for a TD.

The need to convert the onside kick is a give in either case.

Keep going for the TD unless the distance required to convert the 4th is prohibitive, or you're taking a long FG anyway, and you're not saving much field position.

First it was 4th and 5 from the 10. Not a horrible conversion. Saving a lot of field position.
Go for it.

After SuaFilo's false start, it was 4th and 10. That's a tough conversion. Probably kick at that point.

droopdog7

Reaction score
Will there be more time to go 50 yards for a TD after an onsides kick than driving from the 10 now?

The key trade off is the probability to convert the current 4th and the current drive to a TD and get a fg after vs. the probability of converting the FG now and mounting a 50+ yard drive for a TD.

Keep going for the TD unless the distance required to convert the 4th is prohibitive, or you're taking a long FG anyway, and you're not saving much field position.

First it was 4th and 5 from the 10. Not a horrible conversion. Saving a lot of field position.
Go for it.

After SuaFilo's false start, it was 4th and 10. That's a tough conversion. Probably kick at that point.

Go for it.

When it’s the first of two possessions, the object is to give yourself a chance by extending the game. You’re not going to take risks by either forcing the ball into the end zone or go for it when a three keeps you in the game. If you make a mistake then you’ll be blamed.

On the second possession, if you’re lucky to get it, you have nothing to lose. You go all out. But the goal is to get to that point without screwing it up.

Unfortunately, the kicker screwed it up for everybody.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
When it’s the first of two possessions, the object is to give yourself a chance by extending the game. You’re not going to take risks by either forcing the ball into the end zone or go for it when a three keeps you in the game. If you make a mistake then you’ll be blamed.

The object is to maximize your chance to win the game not "give yourself a chance".

You'll only be blamed by people who don't understand how to maximize your chance to win.