Situational awareness

pavalley

Reaction score
Dak needs to run through the sticks and convert that third down, it ends the game....staying in bounds is irrelevant when you don't convert...I don't remember seeing s defender ready to lay him out...regardless...he needs to get past the sticks...must say I was quite disappointed in that play...

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
I was fine with it. There was a defender coming his way ready to lay a hit on him. Better to come up short in that situation. There was still plenty of time and it was a 2nd down play. The bigger issue was the screw up the following play on 3rd and 1.

zack

Reaction score
Dak needs to run through the sticks and convert that third down, it ends the game....staying in bounds is irrelevant when you don't convert...I don't remember seeing s defender ready to lay him out...regardless...he needs to get past the sticks...must say I was quite disappointed in that play...

I'm more concerned with him holding the ball too long in the pocket. He has to understand that you don't have 7 seconds to throw the ball. I know our offensive line is great, but he has to be more decisive about getting the ball out. It is really hard to criticize him on this because he is a rookie, but he certainly isn't playing like one! :)

pansophy

Reaction score
I'm more concerned with him holding the ball too long in the pocket. He has to understand that you don't have 7 seconds to throw the ball. I know our offensive line is great, but he has to be more decisive about getting the ball out. It is really hard to criticize him on this because he is a rookie, but he certainly isn't playing like one! :)

Most of the season he did have that long

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, that run didn't concern me. He, and we all, thought he had picked up enough for the first down. Until replay showed he hadn't, obviously.

The lack of ball security in the pocket worries me way more. He needs to be a little more aware of the rush around him.

But seriously, he continuously makes plays that Romo no longer can. So all of this is just nitpicking

ShiningStar

Reaction score
Hes a rookie and hes playing above expectations. Its ok to point out some flaws hes goig to have to learn from, I am hoping this is one of them he learns real quick and from his face seems he did.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

That's the same criticism that's been leveled at Romo for years.

Virginia-Dave

Reaction score
I'm fine with that run and the slide. Yes it would've been nice to get the first down, but he stayed in bounds, avoided a hit, and set up a 3rd and 1. Can't ask for much more than that. If not for the bad snap/fumble, we most likely convert that.

pavalley

Reaction score
Yeah, that run didn't concern me. He, and we all, thought he had picked up enough for the first down. Until replay showed he hadn't, obviously.

The lack of ball security in the pocket worries me way more. He needs to be a little more aware of the rush around him.

But seriously, he continuously makes plays that Romo no longer can. So all of this is just nitpicking
I'm not sure its nitpicking...more of an observation...im sure he will learn from it....

pavalley

Reaction score
I was fine with it. There was a defender coming his way ready to lay a hit on him. Better to come up short in that situation. There was still plenty of time and it was a 2nd down play. The bigger issue was the screw up the following play on 3rd and 1.
Agree to disagree...when you have a chance to end the game....u dont slide....get past the sticks, choke them out...cuz who knows what third down may bring....:eek:

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
Rookie mistake. He will learn from it. He just started his slide a little early while trying to do the right thing.
This..... No big deal here. Last time I checked we won the game. It's all great steps in the learning process of one Rayne Dakota Prescott.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Go out of bounds if you must. Getting the 1st is more important. Bad play but nothing to get worked up over. Just be smarter next time.

NextGenBoys

Reaction score
It wasn't a mistake. He made the play and got the first down.

Just a technicality kept him from getting the 1st down due to giving himself up. And 99.9% of the time we pick up the first down, not fumble a snap. That was just a weird set of events.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Romo may have got rid of the ball quicker, and has that uncanny pocket awareness to avoid those plays most of the time. But also Tony would not have been able to run for those first downs either. Dak had 3 and almost that 4th time.
So there is good and bad in both situations on both QB's. But Dak will learn. Hopefully pocket awareness can be learned and not just all a natural deal. time will tell on that one.

Jenky

Reaction score

I'll take pocket awareness > situational awareness for 1000 Alex.

pavalley

Reaction score
Go out of bounds if you must. Getting the 1st is more important. Bad play but nothing to get worked up over. Just be smarter next time.
agreed...cant be happier with Dak and what he brings to the table....12 games into his career !

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm sure he thought he had the first down.

The old rules would say he's not down until touched, regardless of the slide.
Now, once they slide, as soon as part of them is down, that's it.
It's for his protection but it is a bit odd.