Situational awareness

joseephuss

Reaction score
I new set of downs ends the game.....

Not if he goes out of bounds at that time. He thought he made it far enough to get the first down and wanted the clock to keep running and protect the ball with a slide. Unfortunately he was just a little short.

pavalley

Reaction score
Not if he goes out of bounds at that time. He thought he made it far enough to get the first down and wanted the clock to keep running and protect the ball with a slide. Unfortunately he was just a little short.
I agree, staying in bounds was a great play....securing the first down was the right play...ends the game

SDCowboy

Reaction score
The run and slide is ok. I think a few more steps and he might have been crushed
Exactly. I get people wish he went a bit further for the first down, but he likely would have gotten obliterated. Instead he made the heads up play to stay in bounds and ended up a yard short. It is what it is.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I agree, staying in bounds was a great play....securing the first down was the right play...ends the game

And he thought he did secure the first down. Everyone thought so until they saw a slow motion shot of it. If he tries to stay up right to "run through the sticks" he gets knocked out of bounds. That doesn't end the game.

pavalley

Reaction score
And he thought he did secure the first down. Everyone thought so until they saw a slow motion shot of it. If he tries to stay up right to "run through the sticks" he gets knocked out of bounds. That doesn't end the game.
you are right...4 downs and punt giving the vikes 10 seconds to drive the length of the field, game wouldn't be over...certainly more impactful then a third down fumble and 2 minutes to drive for the tying score...

pavalley

Reaction score
when you run past the sticks...no need to "think" if you made it....

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Dak showed situational awareness. His execution on the play in question was fine too. He is the starting QB and not a RB. This was not a win or go home moment in the postseason so there was no need for him to sell out and absorb a crushing blow.

pavalley

Reaction score
Dak showed situational awareness. His execution on the play in question was fine too. He is the starting QB and not a RB. This was not a win or go home moment in the postseason so there was no need for him to sell out and absorb a crushing blow.
I would agree except your facts are incorrect...watch the tape...he was not about to get creamed...#54 is prob 3 steps away when he slid...he could have easily stayed upright, made the first down...and basically end the game...by running out the clock...2:45 left 2 timeouts for the vikes...and an offense that couldn't drive the length of the field

Nav22

Reaction score
I was more happy about his smarts in knowing to stay inbounds than anything else. That displayed his football IQ.

He'll learn from the slide rule technicality. He's a smart kid, next time he'll take 1 more step before sliding (or dive head first).

pavalley

Reaction score
I agree, great qb...I was more surprised than anything based on the amazing season he is having...and the awareness he has shown...he seems to have that im gonna take it attitude, much like roger....simply an observation...i expected him to end it right there.....

Sydla

Reaction score
Its called a discussion....which is a debate of different points of view...if you've ever played sports you would understand the need to end it right there, which was reinforced by the next play...

I understand it.

But it's a busted play where he scrambled and turned nothing into something. I can't get on him for sliding where he did while it was clear he knew not to go out of bounds.

So nah, I think criticism of him there is just people looking to complain about something.

Jenky

Reaction score
I would agree except your facts are incorrect...watch the tape...he was not about to get creamed...#54 is prob 3 steps away when he slid...he could have easily stayed upright, made the first down...and basically end the game...by running out the clock...2:45 left 2 timeouts for the vikes...and an offense that couldn't drive the length of the field

Rookie mistake by starting his slide too early. He'll learn.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
Go out of bounds if you must. Getting the 1st is more important. Bad play but nothing to get worked up over. Just be smarter next time.
That is bull and you know it......everyone kills the runner when they don't stay in-bounds, even on long runs.....you can't preach staying in bounds and then criticize when they do it

You can't have it both ways unless you do what Dak actually did and stay in bounds and get the first

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
I'm sure he thought he had the first down.

The old rules would say he's not down until touched, regardless of the slide.
Now, once they slide, as soon as part of them is down, that's it.
It's for his protection but it is a bit odd.
the rule is too vague imo....when did he start the slide?.....when he decelerates, when the shin hits, when the back knee hits, when the butt hits??????

I though he got it a by yard in real time.......in slo mo you could argue he was 3 yards short or got it by 2 yards

THEHEREAFTER

Reaction score
Disagree with the OP... Not only does Dak have amazing situational awareness (a large part of why we're 11-1), he also avoids serious punishment which is awesome for a mobile qb. His "slide game" is nice!... He could have gone head first but we're really nit picking at this point. His situational awareness is why he's starting.

joseephuss

Reaction score
when you run past the sticks...no need to "think" if you made it....

Even if Dak gets the 1st down and stays in bounds that doesn't end the game. The Vikes had 2 timeouts and the 2 minute warning. They still would have had the chance to get the ball back with a 1 minute or so to go. If he gets the 1st down and gets pushed out of bounds, the Vikes could get the ball back with close to 2 minutes left.

pavalley

Reaction score
Even if Dak gets the 1st down and stays in bounds that doesn't end the game. The Vikes had 2 timeouts and the 2 minute warning. They still would have had the chance to get the ball back with a 1 minute or so to go. If he gets the 1st down and gets pushed out of bounds, the Vikes could get the ball back with close to 2 minutes left.
I see your point and you are beginning to turn my opine......I think I agree with u....

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
That is bull and you know it......everyone kills the runner when they don't stay in-bounds, even on long runs.....you can't preach staying in bounds and then criticize when they do it

You can't have it both ways unless you do what Dak actually did and stay in bounds and get the first
Yes. Ideally he stays in bounds and gets the first.

Of those two things what is more important? Staying in bounds or getting the 1st? This is not a trick question.

It's like you quoted me and didn't read my words. Here let me say them again..."Go out of bounds if you must. Getting the 1st is more important."

The 1st down is goal number 1. Keeping the clock moving is goal number 2. This is a remedial football lesson.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak needs to run through the sticks and convert that third down, it ends the game....staying in bounds is irrelevant when you don't convert...I don't remember seeing s defender ready to lay him out...regardless...he needs to get past the sticks...must say I was quite disappointed in that play...
I was surprised that he didn't run though, but taking a slide is fine. Him getting injured is a WAY bigger problem than not getting the 1st down.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score

Yes, the game doesn't end. But you use up all of the Vikes timeouts and can end the game with a single 1st down. In the scenario that happened...because of the missed 1st...we had a nail bitter ending (and I didn't cover >_<)