'Skins release Jason Taylor

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
That's a given. He's making an absurd amount of money and they need cap space. Plus their probably taking a pass rusher like everette brown anyways.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
yeah i just saw this on espn

taylor was banged up last yr but the guy still has a lot of game i feel left in him

no doubt hell be back this season and productive for someone. i wouldnt mind him if the price is right but he was released because they couldnt agree on a restructure of his contract which means he is probably wanting to much

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
LOL at renting Taylor for one year at the cost of a 2nd round pick.

Then, getting no production from him.

Vince Young 10

Reaction score
I find it amusing. Way to throw away a 2nd round pick, Danny!

Skins fans still amaze me. They claim "Well who do we get now?"

You sign Haynesworth to 100 Mill, Dockery to 26 Mill and D.Hall to 50+ Mill, and don't expect to haveto cut half your team?

Time for them to see the grass is not always greener going the free agent way.

GOLDENCHILD1688

Reaction score
im wondering how far apart both sides were on the restruccture

they gave up a 2nd round pick for this guy. that spending craze they just went on is obviously why they couldnt afford to pay him.

i wanna know what his asking price is

speedkilz88

Reaction score
Everyone harping on Jerry about the Roy Williams compensation needs to apoligize.;)

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Teams will one day realize that high priced free agents aren't the answer. A great head coach and a great QB is the key. You can build with those 2 things.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Don't want him, he won't take Keith Brooking $ or play for us after his brother in law gives his perspective anyways. Ellis can go too unless he restructures and shuts up. Spencers turn to play and that's a good thing. These 1st round picks need to amount to something now or cut bait. Have a serviceable veteran depth presence available in case of a meltdown from the youngster.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Clove;2663866 said:
Teams will one day realize that high priced free agents aren't the answer. A great head coach and a great QB is the key. You can build with those 2 things.

Agree but 1 more thing. Great depth also.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
SKINS TO CUT TAYLOR
Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2009, 4:14 p.m.

The Washington Commanders, despite previously stating that defensive end Jason Taylor will return for another season, will be releasing him, a league source tells us.

The team was willing to keep Taylor at his $8 million salary, but asked for a workout clause to be added to his contract.

The workout clause would have required Taylor to attend 25 of 39 days of the offseason program, and he refused.

And so the move was made. Taylor will soon be on the market.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
CowboyFaninMD;2663852 said:
so now we have to wonder
can Jerry control himself and not try to sign him

Jerry had thoughts last year and rightfully so. This year he won't even sneeze his way unless Taylor approaches us at a very extreme discount. Neither are happening.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
WoodysGirl;2663912 said:
SKINS TO CUT TAYLOR
Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2009, 4:14 p.m.

The Washington Commanders, despite previously stating that defensive end Jason Taylor will return for another season, will be releasing him, a league source tells us.

The team was willing to keep Taylor at his $8 million salary, but asked for a workout clause to be added to his contract.

The workout clause would have required Taylor to attend 25 of 39 days of the offseason program, and he refused.

And so the move was made. Taylor will soon be on the market.

If this is the reason, then *** Jason Taylor - retire already and stop stealing money from the NFL.

Mansta54

Reaction score
GOLDENCHILD1688;2663841 said:
yeah i just saw this on espn

taylor was banged up last yr but the guy still has a lot of game i feel left in him

no doubt hell be back this season and productive for someone. i wouldnt mind him if the price is right but he was released because they couldnt agree on a restructure of his contract which means he is probably wanting to much

Ahh, no he doesn't!!! He's DONE!!! He's terrible against the run, he gets no pressure anymore, and he stays hurt. I don't think his heart is really in it anymore. Dude has nothing left..

superpunk

Reaction score
If anyone thinks Parcells/Ireland fleeced us, then take some time to really enjoy what happened here.

A second round pick for a guy who Parcells/Ireland suspected didn't have his heart in football. Got no production from him, cutting him a year later because he didn't want to dedicate himself in writing to something the Commanders wanted to add to his contract retroactively.

This is a hilarious bit of news.

lqmac1

Reaction score
‘SKINS ANNOUNCE TAYLOR RELEASE

Posted by Mike Florio on March 2, 2009, 5:10 p.m. EST
The Washington Commanders officially have announced the release of defensive end Jason Taylor.
“Jason Taylor was a real professional during his time with the Commanders,” coach Jim Zorn said. “He played hurt, but still gave his best effort to be prepared and play hard every week. We wish him and his family the very best.”
As we reported earlier in the afternoon, the move came after Taylor refused to agree to contract clause that would require him to participate in 25 of the 39 offseason workout days.
And, as far as we can tell, the request wasn’t aimed at getting Taylor to balk so that he could be cut. Instead, it came from a legitimate interest on the part of the team to have Taylor fully engaged in the offseason program.
In the end, the Commanders got 13 games, and eight starts, out of the second-round pick in the 2009 draft that they sent to the Dolphins last year.