'Skins release Jason Taylor

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2665162 said:
How does that give you 12 million to play with? You had to cut people just to make sure that the Hall, Haynesworth, and Dockery deals wouldn't put you well over the cap. I don't see how you've spent all that money and would still have 12 million left.

But, granted, I don't know the cap structure like Adam does and I certainly don't know enough about the Skins cap situation to know.

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=281939
The somewhat surprising news today that the Commanders have decided to release Jason Taylor generates what can only be described as an obscene amount of cap space. In fact, current estimates have the Commanders anywhere between 11-12 million dollars under the cap.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
BRAVEONAWARPATH;2665202 said:
The somewhat surprising news today that the Commanders have decided to release Jason Taylor generates what can only be described as an obscene amount of cap space. In fact, current estimates have the Commanders anywhere between 11-12 million dollars under the cap.

And that link is to a Commanders message board? And that message board links to "Hog Heaven"?

Don't you think their glasses might have a decidedly burgundy tint to them?

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2665161 said:
Whats better is that, essentially, the Skins got no production out of, what, 3 or 4 second and 3rd round picks?

They got Taylor for a second and I know they spent a second on Thomas and I believe Kelly as well and then either got that Davis cat in the 2nd or 3rd round.

They had all those picks, in that area of the draft, and they got absolutely nothing of value out of any of them.

Four second round picks. Thomas, Kelly, and Davis were all second rounders from last season and Taylor was this year's second.

There are whispers that the Skins are afraid Kelly will never be able to play much because of his creaky knees.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Yeah I heard that about Kelly and it's not surprising. I remember around here the reports coming out that one of the knocks on him was that it was felt he had really bad knees and it would always be a problem.

Kelly likely will never pan out, Taylor obviously didn't, and I think they gave up too high a pick for a one year wonder in Thomas.

All said and done I'm not going to be surprised, at all, if in 2-3 years people look back at those 4 second rounders and call at least 3 of them complete wastes and busts.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
BRAVEONAWARPATH;2665202 said:

Wow. That's insane. I can't see how they can possibly have that much money.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
BRAVEONAWARPATH;2665147 said:
Frankly, other than losing the second round pick (which defininitely does suck)...I'm not unhappy to see Taylor go.
Other than that one iceberg... The Titanic had a pretty good trip.

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;2665259 said:
Other than that one iceberg... The Titanic had a pretty good trip.
LOL..I'm not happy about it but it's not my style to complain about something I can't control.

Aquiring him was a bad decision but what's done is done.

Gotta move on and make the most out of a bad situation.

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2665255 said:
The Skins were around 3 million under before Taylor was released.

You throw in the his 8.5 and there you have it.

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2665255 said:

They just cut three guys who were scheduled to make a combined $19 million this season, and they restructured several other huge contracts.

People sometimes forget that the reason the Commanders are always near or over the cap before the offseason is because they have so many overpaid players. Think about it -- who from their team last year deserves a big contract? Two or three guys? Plus maybe some youngsters (who are still on their rookie contracts and will have to wait for their big payday)? Well, when you have a bunch of overpaid guys who aren't worth what you're paying them, you can always lop off several of them and save a ton of money. Then you can overpay new guys, but at least you get them at cap-friendly prices for a year or two. Next year, if there's a cap, it'll be time to cut another batch of overpaid players so they can overpay new free agents. That strategy keeps you under the cap, but it doesn't make you successful. There's a reason the Commanders haven't won more than 10 games in any season since the NFL adopted a salary cap and have won more than eight games only four times.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
AdamJT13;2665284 said:
They just cut three guys who were scheduled to make a combined $19 million this season, and they restructured several other huge contracts.

People sometimes forget that the reason the Commanders are always near or over the cap before the offseason is because they have so many overpaid players. Think about it -- who from their team last year deserves a big contract? Two or three guys? Plus maybe some youngsters (who are still on their rookie contracts and will have to wait for their big payday)? Well, when you have a bunch of overpaid guys who aren't worth what you're paying them, you can always lop off several of them and save a ton of money. Then you can overpay new guys, but at least you get them at cap-friendly prices for a year or two. Next year, if there's a cap, it'll be time to cut another batch of overpaid players so they can overpay new free agents. That strategy keeps you under the cap, but it doesn't make you successful. There's a reason the Commanders haven't won more than 10 games in any season since the NFL adopted a salary cap and have won more than eight games only four times.

Yeah I guess I just wasn't thinking about the money that they'd cleared by cutting Washington, Springs, and Taylor to this point.

Just a poor structure with which to do their business every year but that's fine by me cause it means Danny boy still hasn't learned, at all, and probably never will. I hope he owns the Skins, and employs this tactic forever.

BnGFever

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2665290 said:
Yeah I guess I just wasn't thinking about the money that they'd cleared by cutting Washington, Springs, and Taylor to this point.

Just a poor structure with which to do their business every year but that's fine by me cause it means Danny boy still hasn't learned, at all, and probably never will. I hope he owns the Skins, and employs this tactic forever.

Your owner is just as guilty as this as snyder is. You guys have acquired over the hill free agents recently, and spent big money which didnt pan out (both RW's). The difference is, the skins have won a few playoff games with their rosters, while the cowboys have floundered into the sea come december/january.

And why could you possibly classify thomas as a "one year wonder"? He didnt have a great season to begin with, since he was a rookie. But he was certainly coming on toward the end of the season, and he should have a much larger role this upcoming season. Kelly I dont know about. His knees are a concern that I hope he gets under control. We didnt have a lot of packages to utilize davis, but the man is an athlete so I hope he quickly becomes out 2nd tight end, opposite cooley.

Rampage

Benched
Reaction score
Jason Taylor is a quiter and couldn't cut it in the NFC East. he gave up on so many plays it was laughable.

Woods

Reaction score
AdamJT13;2665284 said:

Very nice explanation, Adam.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
BnGFever;2665634 said:
Your owner is just as guilty as this as snyder is. You guys have acquired over the hill free agents recently, and spent big money which didnt pan out (both RW's). The difference is, the skins have won a few playoff games with their rosters, while the cowboys have floundered into the sea come december/january.

First Roy Williams, the WR, is not old and he's had one year so we don't know if he's going to be a bust or not. Taylor is much older, like Deion was, like Bruce Smith was, like a lot of guys you guys have plugged in and done nothing with since Danny took over. And we didn't aquire a over-the-hill Roy Williams at safety, we drafted him, thus he wasn't over-the-hill. Even today at 28 he's still not over the hill so, again, those comparisions failed.

Taylor is 1 and done and it cost you a second rounder for that.

What was the last over the hill guy we signed to a huge contract who hasn't produced on the field for us? I can't even remember anyone other than Owens getting a big deal from us, while being well over 30, and he's produced every year he's been here. HUGE difference.

Bigg was under 30 when we got him, Hamlin was under 30, Ratliff was under 30, Roy Williams (Both) were under 30 when they go their deals. Newman was just turning 30 when he got his. Barber is under 30. So where is the guy on the over-the-hill side of 30 that got a huge deal, not named TO? And, as I said, TO has produced and produced well every since he got here. Almost 300 receptions, over 3000 yards, and 38 TDs. Pretty solid numbers for a FA signing. I'd imagine it's better production, in almost every way, than the two starting WRs you've had for the last 3 years.

And why could you possibly classify thomas as a "one year wonder"? He didnt have a great season to begin with, since he was a rookie. But he was certainly coming on toward the end of the season, and he should have a much larger role this upcoming season. Kelly I dont know about. His knees are a concern that I hope he gets under control. We didnt have a lot of packages to utilize davis, but the man is an athlete so I hope he quickly becomes out 2nd tight end, opposite cooley.

Thomas is a one year wonder not based on his rookie year, which was essentially a waste, but based on the fact that you gave up a 2nd rounder for a WR who had been nothing more than a 1 year wonder in college. He had one good year in college, after mediocre or below that years prior to that, and took him with the second. He'll wind up, IMO, being as big a wash as Malcom Kelly who, at least, had a few good years in college.

The problem there is that while others decided to step back from Kelly, cause of the reported knee issues, you're owner decided it was a grand idea to waste a second round pick on him.

Bad, bad, bad business.

If you didn't have a lot of packages for Davis then it's one of two things. The guy is too stupid to be trusted quickly or your coaches are too stupid to utilize their talent.

Bennett, our third rounder, was very productive for us as a number 2 option to Witten and that was even with Garrett struggling to find ways to get the ball where he needed to.

Davis might turn around, Thomas might become something in a couple of years, I just get the feeling, and felt this on draft day last year, that in a couple of years or so people will look back at this particular time frame and look at these 4 second rounders that didn't pan out for the Skins and view that as a big reason that the Skins continued to struggle to break through where they've been for pretty much 15 years now.