News: Skip Bayless: "I'm not sure Zeke is going to play anywhere next year"

Rayman70

Reaction score
If this happens, I called it. I been saying he retires. I just think hes used up. He has dead legs. He will opt for retirement. 32 teams agree thus far.

Motorola

Reaction score
I think Brown and Sanders would have played several more years. Brown, as l understand it, was unhappy that the Browns wouldn't negotiate a better contract. Sanders was unhappy with how the Lions were being managed. I'm not sure if their teams refused to trade them, but they obviously want to play elsewhere...
Brown's contract had nothing to do with his retirement.

1966 was his final year of his three year deal with Cleveland.
Brown had declared publically that season would be he last one playing pro football.
He was in London being part of the cast of the movie "The Dirty Dozen".
Bad weather delayed the filming schedule, which led to Brown not being at the start of training camp.
Cleveland ownet Art Modell threatened to assess hefty fines if the NFL Star did not return immediately back to the States for TC.
Jim Brown decided to retire on the spot.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Just wait until a month from now. We'll be saying the same thing going into July.
It’s possible. He’s missing a lot of offseason work. Who knows it might be during the season when he catches on with a team. Someone could suffer an injury and he would provide a team with some fresh legs that’s making a playoff push.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Cowboys are career killers. Romo, Jason Garrett, Dez, Zeke. Unless you are a hof-er talent like Ware, middle range players, coaches are hyped up in Dallas by marketing.
Don't know if those careers were killed, maybe wasted. Romo, Bryant and Elliott had pretty successful careers that were ended by the wear and tear/injuries taking their toll.

Garrett killed his own career by not being a great offensive coordinator/head coach.

Motorola

Reaction score
I think Brown and Sanders would have played several more years. Brown, as l understand it, was unhappy that the Browns wouldn't negotiate a better contract. Sanders was unhappy with how the Lions were being managed. I'm not sure if their teams refused to trade them, but they obviously want to play elsewhere...
Brown and Sanders DID NOT WANT TO PLAY ELSEWHERE.
That is why they left the game --- with still the talent \ abillity to play at a high level.

Motorola

Reaction score
It’s possible. He’s missing a lot of offseason work. Who knows it might be during the season when he catches on with a team. Someone could suffer an injury and he would provide a team with some fresh legs that’s making a playoff push.
"The Elephant in the Room"
If Ezekiel Elliott receives no training camp \ preseason invites, nor a last minute offer to latch on to a team before the regular season starts...
will he be motivated and disciplined enough to remain in tip-top shape should a team reach out to him mid-to late season to fill a void?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
From what I've read, Zeke has unrealistic views of what he is at this point of his career. If that's the case, he may well find himself unemployed in 2023.

When you're a RB in the NFL, the sand passes through the hourglass quickly.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
"The Elephant in the Room"
If Ezekiel Elliott receives no training camp \ preseason invites, nor a last minute offer to latch on to a team before the regular season starts...
will he be motivated and disciplined enough to remain in tip-top shape should a team reach out to him mid-to late season to fill a void?
If he’s still interested in playing football you would think he’ll be in shape ready to go whenever he gets the call. However, you’re asking questions that none of us can answer for sure because we don’t know him. Usually if a player is still interested in playing, they keep themselves in shape.

Brooksey

Reaction score
We have a big hole without Zeke, 800 tough yards and 12 TD's.

We should bring him back (2-3M) to take some short yardage load off Pollard who is unproven to stay healthy as a starter.

OR sign someone else. What we have now is a problem.

Jarntt

Reaction score
If Zeke accepts no team is bringing him in to be a starter and that he is going to be paid as a backup he will have no problem finding a team to sign him. I think Skip Peete pretty much stated this a while back when Tampa was looking at him.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Nothing personal against the OP, but since when is something Skip Bayless says "news?"

No, really.

He's not even in the category of journalist these days. He's the equivalent of a tabloid newspaper opinion columnist. Those people make a paycheck based on their ability to keep their name relevant in spite of not actually being in a place of any new serious insight.

Wake me up when David Helman (just a for-instance)... who still has some legit journalistic credentials... makes a comment like this... that, at least, will be interesting, even though it still is just his own speculation.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nothing personal against the OP, but since when is something Skip Bayless says "news?"

No, really.

He's not even in the category of journalist these days. He's the equivalent of a tabloid newspaper opinion columnist. Those people make a paycheck based on their ability to keep their name relevant in spite of not actually being in a place of any new serious insight.

Wake me up when David Helman (just a for-instance)... who still has some legit journalistic credentials... makes a comment like this... that, at least, will be interesting, even though it still is just his own speculation.
The "news" thread prefix is for when content is posted from a news source.

Whether the content itself is news is up to the reader to decide :D