Skip: "I don't have sympathy for (Dak) for going public about his depression."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
I'd rather be a multimillionaire stuper star QB with America's Team and suffer from depression than to be a overseas contractor stuck in afghanistan while your wife is leaving you and you aren't even allowed to go home yet, and suffer from depression.

Sorry Dak, I'd trade places with you all day, every day.

No matter how bad you think you've got it, someone's got it much worse. Unless you happen to be that "one" guy is actually has it the worst and guess what.... that guy probably isn't reading this post.

RoboQB

Reaction score
I'd rather be a multimillionaire stuper star QB with America's Team and suffer from depression than to be a overseas contractor stuck in afghanistan while your wife is leaving you and you aren't even allowed to go home yet, and suffer from depression.

No matter how bad you think you've got it, someone's got it much worse. Unless you happen to be that "one" guy is actually has it the worst and guess what.... that guy probably isn't reading this post.

From one guy not making an 8-figure annual salary to another (presumably), I wish you all the best.
May you one day soon find an angel in your kitchen and a devil in your bedroom, and may she be the
same woman... lol

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think anyone going through pain, especially the pain Dak is feeling, should feel free to be able to open up about it. I've dealt with losing friends to suicide. It is HORRIBLE! I hope and pray to God you never have to feel that pain of learning the news that one of your friends killed himself/herself. It was such a helpless feeling between wondering if there was something I could have done to have stopped it and wondering why and how it happened. Wishing my friends that have gone that way would have opened up and told me how they were really feeling. To hold it in doesn't fix the problem. It makes it worse.
The loss of a loved one is a heartbreaking event and how one deals with it is their business!

RoboQB

Reaction score
Context is key.
Instead of being outraged over a 64 second clip, watch the whole
conversation. Sharpe talks for 3 minutes. Bayless talks for 7 minutes.
Then Sharpe lays down The Card.

Not a Bayless fan at all. I see nothing wrong with him giving his opinion.
He was very respectful, if you watch the whole thing.

CowboyStar88

Reaction score
Because you are afraid of what others might think of you. But in the real world people suffer from depression and who knows how many lives are saved from people with mental health issues seeing a athlete admit to it. The world is bigger than football.

Don’t waste your time anymore. B

nobody

Reaction score
Because you are afraid of what others might think of you. But in the real world people suffer from depression and who knows how many lives are saved from people with mental health issues seeing a athlete admit to it. The world is bigger than football.

It takes courage for a public figure to admit to it and especially someone who is a leader. I have nothing but respect for Dak for admitting it and letting others know it's okay to talk about it, to reach out. I think Skip is wrong, even if he tried to be respectful about it. I think the Cowboys will embrace Dak more for being open and honest. It's a brotherhood.

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have severe episodes of depression certain times of year and its bad. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. The thing is, people really don't care if you have it or not. I miss work and know that people talk but when im sick im just immobile and scared. I have some pretty bad thoughts too. I've went through many, many antidepressants and the one im on now is working really well. I hope it continues. Many people see is as a weakness and skip may be the same way.........
Thanks for sharing Amigo. I don't think simple minded people can grasp the difficulties involved in dealing with depression. In many cases, it's brutal!

Last edited:

DandyDon52

Reaction score
idk what any one expects when u make these stupid shows were the entire point is to say stupid things to get clicks and views and trending on social media. they are all losers with no talent or integrity.
exactly , lol it is sad they have these type shows, sadder if people actually watch them, and even sadder skip and his cohorts make millions
doing this silly show.
I watched a few on u tube, last year, and that was all I could take of it.

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I lost my mom (brain tumor) at 9yo and my dad and brother on the same day (auto accident) when I was 15yo. Never a pity party, and life goes on, but there’s always a bit of depression.

Dak is a man and a leader of men.

Sorry to hear that Geno. Thankful, that God has kept you and your family.

1972COWBOY

Reaction score
When you don't have sympathy for someones medical state, its probably best to keep it to yourself. It does no good and more harm to speak up about it especially if it doesn't involve you. Some things are better left unsaid.

I have no sympathy for Daks financial dealing with the Cowboys, but when it comes to his medical well being, I am not walking in his shoes thus really don't know what he's going through or truly faced. All the money in the world can't solve someones mental well being if money can't buy a better state of mind for that person and we shouldn't judge the mental well being by how much money they have or what status they have. We may be only seeing the tip of the iceberg from what Dak has had to carry emotionally growing up in a tough world.

Money can't erase emotional scaring or memories of the tough times he's faced in the past.

Dak wore his heart on his sleeve and reached out to the public for understanding only for someone to say something hurtful. Skip is acting like a prosecutor for someones mental well being trial.

Last edited:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
what is the big fuss about .? skip is right , The whole world faces much challenges and tribulations. This soft culture sympathy is conducive to a culture condoning weakness and underachievement.
losing family member is sad , but move on man , Dak is one of the last to complain . He seems to know little about actual suffering going on , especially after covid . He has to show more toughness , stop sulking and stop the excuses.
Really? How many people have you lost? How many of them gave a crap about you? Dak isn't leading an army into war, he's a friggin' twenty something quarterback.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The loss of a loved one is a heartbreaking event and how one deals with it is their business!

Yes indeed. Absolutely right with that. I'm just saying that I'm glad Dak has said what he said because of how pervasive depression is.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

although comparing one to the other makes sense on the surface, we can't compare despair. depression is depression. its how one feels inside. and just because he plays football and has money, doesn't mean he should be ok and happy losing a loved one. losing loved ones doesn't have anything to do with money. everyone's situation is different. losing a loved one to suicide is hurtful.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Yeah I didn’t call him one name. But he wants to play victim and have people feel sorry for him even though he’s insensitive towards the thought of someone admitting they had depression.
Coming from someone who’s suffered thru depression and extreme loss. The people who say just suck it up have never experienced it. It’s that simple. I lost my best friend, my fiancé, and a guy that was basically my brother in the span of the last 8 years. I’d love to see someone here go thru that and not suffer from depression. The insensitivity on this board sometimes blows my mind. Makes me not even want to come back here.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
lol woo boy, what a piece of crap.

"I don't have sympathy for (Dak) for going public about his depression."

Like most things they get taken out of context and overblown. What he said was dumb but he meant from a leadership standpoint and from a Covid depression standpoint.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Coming from someone who’s suffered thru depression and extreme loss. The people who say just suck it up have never experienced it. It’s that simple. I lost my best friend, my fiancé, and a guy that was basically my brother in the span of the last 8 years. I’d love to see someone here go thru that and not suffer from depression. The insensitivity on this board sometimes blows my mind. Makes me not even want to come back here.

Its the era we live in of social media. These guys can say what they want without consequence.....I know they don't talk like this in real life because real life someone would've either blew their head off by now or put them in the hospital. Everyone is a big tough guy on the internet.

There's no shame in battling a mental illness of some sort. I think a lot of us suffer from depression but I think the fear being "weak" is why people don't speak out more on it.

My condolences man....I don't care what anyone says man death is tough especially from those close to you. I don't get the ugliness on this site but we are all in this together. Hopefully some winning around here will change the tone of the board and not run off good posters like you.

phillycard

Reaction score
BY the way, im not saying the man didnt have every reason to mourn, miss and be sad... even depressed about his brother. Im just saying I wouldnt have went public with it.

I truly don't get all of the outrage about "going public with it". The hell is this man supposed to do, go home and punch a wall for hours on end? The fact that an NFL star, and athlete such as Dak can in fact go public with it, might empower the Cowboys fan who works at a Dollar Tree, has no friends, and is considered a loser, to come out and seek help before he hangs himself. That's the problem with us men these days. Too worried about outward appearance and not worried about exhibiting the one trait that separates us from animals. Compassion. I'm all man, but I'll be damned if I'm too tough to throw my arms around my brother man and help pull him out of darkness. I may not understand mental illness as much as those of you such as yourself who have served this country admirably, but I just care about people man. I'm disgusted by Bayless's attitude. Especially because I know he's too much of a chump to say what he said to Dak's face.

Status
Not open for further replies.