Skip: "I don't have sympathy for (Dak) for going public about his depression."

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmvp

Reaction score
I have often questioned Dak’s leadership. Not because I thought he was a bad leader, but mainly because so many talking heads praise him for this characteristic...almost to the point where I started assuming most were just parroting what other’s were saying. I mean, they didn’t really know him, so how could they really know if he was a good leader or not?

Then the party during the shut down made me think his leadership was overblown even more. No matter how you slice that one, it was a poor decision...and good leaders wouldn’t make decisions like that.

Now this. Now I actually believe Dak is a much better leader than I gave him credit for. It takes courage to be open about this and not hide from it. And he’s absolutely right about leaders needing to be genuine and real. His teammate would see right through them if he wasn’t. I applaud him for this.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
I truly don't get all of the outrage about "going public with it". The hell is this man supposed to do, go home and punch a wall for hours on end? The fact that an NFL star, and athlete such as Dak can in fact go public with it, might empower the Cowboys fan who works at a Dollar Tree, has no friends, and is considered a loser, to come out and seek help before he hangs himself. That's the problem with us men these days. Too worried about outward appearance and not worried about exhibiting the one trait that separates us from animals. Compassion. I'm all man, but I'll be damned if I'm too tough to throw my arms around my brother man and help pull him out of darkness. I may not understand mental illness as much as those of you such as yourself who have served this country admirably, but I just care about people man. I'm disgusted by Bayless's attitude. Especially because I know he's too much of a chump to say what he said to Dak's face.
outrage? I didnt know there was any "Outrage," over this.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I’m sure they won’t do anything but Fox Sports responded.

Check the numbers on that show today. They're playing the corp card so they're that arm length's away and they "talked" to Bayless.

Take a good look at that video again, particularly the part where he goes disclaimer about clinical depression before saying what he does and you can also see Sharpe's lack of response as well. That was a set up. They knew what he was going to say before he said it and so did Sharpe. Sharpe was just glad he wasn't the one to say it. And Bayless can claim his defense was all about leadership and not depression.

Situations like that are set ups to evoke response and curiosity from those that haven't sampled the show. It's s stunt, used to pull them in radio. Need a little ratings adrenaline, get the morning show to go off the rails and tread the water of poor taste and then suspend them. The stupid newspapers always played their part and called me for a comment because they saw it as an opportunity to fire their shot at radio. I got to play Church Lady Proper offended for all of those that heard that and most of the time it was my idea.

Bayless: I am an awesome person Fox: Bayless is an awesome person Message: Come see our awesome person.

glimmerman

Reaction score
Check the numbers on that show today. They're playing the corp card so they're that arm length's away and they "talked" to Bayless.

Take a good look at that video again, particularly the part where he goes disclaimer about clinical depression before saying what he does and you can also see Sharpe's lack of response as well. That was a set up. They knew what he was going to say before he said it and so did Sharpe. Sharpe was just glad he wasn't the one to say it. And Bayless can claim his defense was all about leadership and not depression.

Situations like that are set ups to evoke response and curiosity from those that haven't sampled the show. It's s stunt, used to pull them in radio. Need a little ratings adrenaline, get the morning show to go off the rails and tread the water of poor taste and then suspend them. The stupid newspapers always played their part and called me for a comment because they saw it as an opportunity to fire their shot at radio. I got to play Church Lady Proper offended for all of those that heard that and most of the time it was my idea.

Bayless: I am an awesome person Fox: Bayless is an awesome person Message: Come see our awesome person.
Has the awesome person apologized yet this morning.

lopey

Reaction score
I have zero problems with what he was saying. He is right in that when you are the leader, you cant show weakness in public.

Imagine a military leader showing weakness to his troops that he is supposed to be leading?

i know it is horrible to compare military with football, but....
All he is saying is that as the QB of a team, especially the Cowboys, you dont go public with it. Thats all... dont go public because you cant show weakness. The position comes with a built in pressure. You can have all the issues you have, but DONT go public with it. I know in today's world we are supposed to be sensitive and all, but some things you can keep quiet about.
You know how many people Daks comments will help others feeling depressed get help? If someone in Daks position in life can come out and say he has a mental health issue, then they will say hey, there is nothing wrong with me seeking help. Dak plays a sport, not life and death military life. Get a grip man.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I never watch it so I have no idea but he should stay dug in a little while to milk it and establish that image a little better with people who might not know of him.
He was in love with Dak all last year until he found out Daks agent pulled the hand shake deal after the fins game. Dak hires a agent to get him paid. I have a problem with his agent but not Dak. But Dak and SJ and JJ spoke and came away with the structure of the contract he wants. He will be signed at the end of the year for 40 a year for 4 years and a huge signing bonus. SJ tried to get cute and could have had him signed 2 years ago for 36.. O well, not my money. But I would like 10%.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He was in love with Dak all last year until he found out Daks agent pulled the hand shake deal after the fins game. Dak hires a agent to get him paid. I have a problem with his agent but not Dak. But Dak and SJ and JJ spoke and came away with the structure of the contract he wants. He will be signed at the end of the year for 40 a year for 4 years and a huge signing bonus. SJ tried to get cute and could have had him signed 2 years ago for 36.. O well, not my money. But I would like 10%.

This has been discussed over and over and over again and even then, still more. There is nothing to this claim. Why do you insist on creating this narrative?

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I'd rather be a multimillionaire stuper star QB with America's Team and suffer from depression than to be a overseas contractor stuck in afghanistan while your wife is leaving you and you aren't even allowed to go home yet, and suffer from depression.

Sorry Dak, I'd trade places with you all day, every day.

No matter how bad you think you've got it, someone's got it much worse. Unless you happen to be that "one" guy is actually has it the worst and guess what.... that guy probably isn't reading this post.

So you'd rather have you brother kill himself and mother die a slow and painful eath than to be a overseas contractor stuck in Afghanistan......I'm not saying its a either or but I'm confused to why you can't have compassion for someone who makes more money than you?

eromeopolk

Reaction score
lol woo boy, what a piece of crap.

"I don't have sympathy for (Dak) for going public about his depression."

I hope this is fake.

If not, he should be handle like any another person that would say this without blonde hair and blue eyes. He should be fired at minimum suspended.

If he has not, I am firing him from my life as a human being.

I know so many people that suffer from depression and to not have compassion for someone is inhumane. There is no reconciling of what Skip Bayless said. Even his comment was non factual as Dak had been working out in the off season until his brother's death, he did not hold animosity when he did not get the deal he deserved and signed his franchise tag to be with his other brothers from other mothers, and he did this in the reality of America's treatment of people who look like him.

It is depressing to post a response to the insensitive, inhumane, irresponsible, illiterate, imbecilic, irrational, and incompetent so called sportswriter/reporter that Fox employs to air to the public. Freedom of speech comes with accountability, responsibility, and it should come with consequence to Skip Bayless employment.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

They pocket watching....smh.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I'm 10000% team Dak here, but I think skips comments are being overblown.

Having just rewatched the segment, I disagree with skip, and think that he has an outdated and wrong take on the situation, but its one that is probably shared by many. Im happy this has started a small discussion on an issue that gets swept under the rug, but in no way do I think skip should be canceled/suspended/receive any other discipline.

Alweezy

Reaction score
Ratings or no ratings, at some point, you gotta take a step back and look at what you're actually saying and Skip was all the way wrong on this one.

LifetimeBoysFan

Reaction score
Someone else can start a thread on this...meh.

He would make a terrible lawyer. He leaves out a lot of facts conveniently. Like the fact that he was depressed BEFORE his brother committed suicide. I wonder if that would make depression any easier to deal with? :rolleyes: This whole nonsense about not sharing it because he's the face of America's team is just silly. By that same argument he is showing more leadership to help others with the same struggles who don't have his wealth or his fame.

shabazz

Reaction score
Mental issues should be off limits but when a player chooses to put it into a public forum they have to expect comments on it

Status
Not open for further replies.