Skip & Screamin A Nail It On The Cowboys and Garrett

Bigdog

Reaction score
Garrett did squat last season imo.

Just because we could impose our will on the ground and Romo can make plays on 3rd down doesn't mean he can coach.

Last year we consistently out athleted teams and you just can't consistently depend on that.

You maybe right but coaches like qbs are judged on wins/losts and Garret went 12-4 in his contract year. Injuries have hurt this team this year but I think there are 4 games that we should have won in that 7 game losing steak.

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
You maybe right but coaches like qbs are judged on wins/losts and Garret went 12-4 in his contract year. Injuries have hurt this team this year but I think there are 4 games that we should have won in that 7 game losing steak.

interesting that it was both a contract year for Garrett and Murray and we go 12-4 and two deep in the playoffs almost three if Blandino wasn't trying to get heat off his back from that party bus fiasco.

EFFFFFFF THAT GUY.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
You're probably right but I don't see Jerry as that type of guy.

He signed a gay black dude when nobody else would give him a chance.

Let's not kid ourselves here, Jerry Jones loves publicity too and there was plenty of reason to bring in Sam for the purpose. He clearly couldn't play football if he couldn't make it off the practice squad with the guys that played on this team's DL in 2014.

Cmac

Reaction score
Although agree Garrett hasn't met the expectations I had for him, except 2014, I do hope in fairness that SAS doesn't forget Marvin Lewis in Cincinnatti, who has been given numerous opportunities despite not winning playoff games.

SAS has always said Marvin gets a pass too.

Cmac

Reaction score
Stephen A can find a way to bring race into literally any discussion. He does it all the time. I'm sure it has to irritate Skip but he can't really say anything because he'll come off as a racist.

.....but when race is a consideration......we shouldn't run away from it also. SAS has been critical of Marvin Lewis much like JG's deserved criticism. While race does not play into JG tenure, and acknowledged by SAS, JG still coaching when some would have been sent packing long ago....unless they hold a pass like Marvin Lewis has like JG. JG coaching/leadership is terrible....we just saw it on Monday night again.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Now Ill be the first to say these 2 idiots on BSPN are just clowns most of the time but they nailed it about Jerry & Jason and why Mr Teflon still has a job. SAS brought up the race issue and the frustrations for blacks in America and how thy dont get as many passes as the white Garrett but he clarified that he wasnt saying Red has his job still because he is white but because Jerry likes him.

Any other coach with Red's track record would have been fired was the point of what they said and IMO they nailed it.

The problem is not so much Garrett as the people who gave him the job in the first place.

Those boys are picking on the monkey not the organ grinder.

DakotaReign

JaBoy
Reaction score
Stephen A is flat out wrong about that.

I would bring up Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith to him, both who have had multiple "passes" with little success yet somehow have kept head coaching jobs. I

I'll buy friendship - I'm not buying race.

This is biggest load of bull ive ever read. Lovie smith was fired after a 10-6 season, and an 8 year period that included a super bowl berth and a NFC championship appearance lost against the unstoppable 2011 Packers.

If that is "little success" ..... what has Garrett done?!

Garrett was gifted a job he wasnt qualified for, wasted a HOF QBs prime years, stripped of playcalling duties during his "Learning/training" phase (how many coaches get that?) from the only side of the ball he has any coaching experience with.

The Truth is that with Lovie Smith and Marinelli and romo we'd have CERTAINLY more than Garrett has accomplished.

Lovie went to a superbowl with Rex Grossman. And NFC championship with Jay Cutler.

Whats garretts excuse?

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
Anything with reference to race in this case is just them stirring the pot. Jerry would not care about sex, age, race, etc if it could guarantee him a Super Bowl.

Otherwise, yeah, there are coaches out there I'm sure who would do a better job than Garrett has, but Jerry has hitched his wagon to Garrett and that's that. A coaching change, in Jerry's mind, is starting over and it's not what he wants to do with Romo's last few years.

Me personally? I'd fire him yesterday. There are coaches who do well in their first or second year on a regular basis. I don't see it as starting over. I don't own the team though.

Daillest88

Reaction score
Steven a is a clown, skip likes the boys...he's a clown too. But truth is they are psyed to be that way. ESPN is mostly drama now

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People compare coaches and their records but I think comparing Jason Garrett and Lovie Smith actually provides an argument that favors retaining Garrett. Let's compare Garrett's coaching record and Smith's Bears' record:

Overall Careers

Garrett: 5-3, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4, 4-8

Smith: 5-11, 11-5, 13-3 (SB loss), 7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 11-5, 8-8, 10-6

Garrett: +.500, .500, .500, .500, +.500, -.500 (TBD)

Smith: -.500, +.500, +.500, -.500, +.500, -.500, +.500, .500, +.500

If both were roller coasters, Garrett's ride hasn't had the dips and valleys that Smith's sustained. The only tangible negative would be Garrett's current status this season. And he could decrease the negative perception with each win the team may eek out of its remaining games. I think another coaching comparison would be more logically sound, perhaps another coach with similar tenure and weaker results than Garrett's.

Tusan_Homichi

Heisenberg
Reaction score
People compare coaches and their records but I think comparing Jason Garrett and Lovie Smith actually provides an argument that favors retaining Garrett. Let's compare Garrett's coaching record and Smith's Bears' record:

Overall Careers

Garrett: 5-3, 8-8, 8-8, 8-8, 12-4, 4-8

Smith: 5-11, 11-5, 13-3 (SB loss), 7-9, 9-7, 7-9, 11-5, 8-8, 10-6

Garrett: +.500, .500, .500, .500, +.500, -.500 (TBD)

Smith: -.500, +.500, +.500, -.500, +.500, -.500, +.500, .500, +.500

If both were roller coasters, Garrett's ride hasn't had the dips and valleys that Smith's sustained. The only tangible negative would be Garrett's current status this season. And he could decrease the negative perception with each win the team may eek out of its remaining games. I think another coaching comparison would be more logically sound, perhaps another coach with similar tenure and weaker results than Garrett's.

I think Lovie Smith gets a bit of leeway when it comes to what people think of him just based on the SB loss. He got a team with Rex Grossman at QB to the Super Bowl. Rex Freakin' Grossman.

Since then though, he hasn't done a whole lot.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Lovie Smith gets a bit of leeway when it comes to what people think of him just based on the SB loss. He got a team with Rex Grossman at QB to the Super Bowl. Rex Freakin' Grossman.

Since then though, he hasn't done a whole lot.
No argument about Smith having some leeway but I don't believe it's enough to offset the overall perception if the final deciding factor hinges on comparative records alone.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Steven A., Skip, Jerry. Everybody thinks they are idiots.

But if they ever say anything that agrees with our thinking we come here to quote them.

You realize it's possible to know that people are idiots, the vast majority of the time, but still be able to acknowledge when they get something right.

I'd certainly hope so.

But given how people are these days I doubt it. Everyone thinks if you don't like someone, or something, that you can't acknowledge when that someone, or something, is or does something right or well. Even if you don't generally like them.

Pretty hard concept, it would seem, for many to understand.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Why was the race card even brought up... especially when SAS even said that wasn't the reason Garrett is still the coach? It's like he just looks for any reason to work that crap into his discussions, no matter how flimsy... even to the point where he dismisses it himself.

No, he's acknowledging the reality that exists, i.e., some people get passes whereas others don't. And it's more common for the expectation of black coaches to be that they have to succeed immediately or quickly or else they're gone.

Whether people like it or not, the perceptions of race cloud issues of hiring, promotion, etc.

Stephen A. is just acknowledging that reality and those perceptions.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Steven A., Skip, Jerry. Everybody thinks they are idiots.

But if they ever say anything that agrees with our thinking we come here to quote them.

Idiot is the new catch phrase of social media. Most people toss it around so frequently, yet the irony is that they can't write, spell, construct complete sentences or thoughts themselves - more symbolic of true idiocy (more so illiteracy) than an opposing opinion.

Whenever I see someone call another person an "idiot," I tend to mark that person down on the intelligent meter.