Skip & Screamin A Nail It On The Cowboys and Garrett

jday

Reaction score
Now Ill be the first to say these 2 idiots on BSPN are just clowns most of the time but they nailed it about Jerry & Jason and why Mr Teflon still has a job. SAS brought up the race issue and the frustrations for blacks in America and how thy dont get as many passes as the white Garrett but he clarified that he wasnt saying Red has his job still because he is white but because Jerry likes him.

Any other coach with Red's track record would have been fired was the point of what they said and IMO they nailed it.

The problem with this assessment is that blame really should be spread from the top of the organization down...not just on Red Ball. Sure, coaching and game management continues to rear it's ugly head, but on the other hand, not only did the front office allow our bell cow from a year ago walk, but did next to nothing to replace Murray's production. A very significant part of the struggles, injuries aside, has been the inability to consistently run the ball like they did a year ago. I'm not saying they should have kept Murray at that price, but they should have done something to address the position beyond McFadden.

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I didn't mind his thoughts on Garrett but him trying to combine it with race was just him using that subject as a time to grandstand his opinion on other things.

He even admittedly said that Garrett is there because he is friends with Jerry and that race wasn't an issue.

Point to another franchise that doesn't fire their coach for mediocre & bad results that has a white coach for that reason but don't point to this franchise.

We just don't fire our coach because

1. The media has gave him a pass.

&

2. He is Jerrys buddy. That is the biggest reason.

If you only hire folks you know for the HC position, and you're an old, rich, white billionaire - chances are you're only gonna hire white head coaches.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You could make a solid argument that Garrett got too many chances during the 8-8 seasons but he earned a new contract last season. Local media, national media and the fanbase would've went wild if we let him walk after the success we had last season.

I believe Jerry would've had no problem letting him go after last season if we were not as successful. Now he is in a situation where he will have to eat his contract and force his veteran QB to spend his twilight years getting used to a new coach and probably a new system. I still don't see Jerry letting him go unless the team just quits on him even with these most recent comments.

Personally, I am in a similar boat as you in that I would love to see a more innovative coach brought in. Sean Payton would be interesting considering his success with Romo...but could Payton be the first coach in NFL history to win a SB with two different teams? I don't know, that is one of the scariest stats in football regarding coaches for me though.

Garrett did squat last season imo.

Just because we could impose our will on the ground and Romo can make plays on 3rd down doesn't mean he can coach.

Last year we consistently out athleted teams and you just can't consistently depend on that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
If you only hire folks you know for the HC position, and you're an old, rich, white billionaire - chances are you're only gonna hire white head coaches.

You're probably right but I don't see Jerry as that type of guy.

He signed a gay black dude when nobody else would give him a chance.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score

Just because we could impose our will on the ground and Romo can make plays on 3rd down doesn't mean he can coach.

Last year we consistently out athleted teams and you just can't consistently depend on that.

I think you're right and it got him a 5 yr deal to stay.

robjay04

Reaction score

Won't argue but you would understand the overwhelming backlash if we didn't resign Garrett.

rick2248

Reaction score
And the stubborn and senile Jerry will stick with Garrett, or any other coach, to hope to prove them wrong, and he is right.
Maybe but this is the first time Jerry has called Garrett out and I love it he has gotten to many free passes !

Kaiser

Reaction score
You're probably right but I don't see Jerry as that type of guy.

He signed a gay black dude when nobody else would give him a chance.

I don't see Jerry as racist because I don't see that kind of guy sticking around the NFL - or being successful in the NFL.

Kind of off topic but it made me spend a minute on Google, I was thinking Jerry had to have black teammates when he played college football. Common sense right?

Nope. Not in 1964. This is unbelievable but his 1964 Arkansas team was all White -

http://thedailyhatch.org/2014/08/30/964-razorback-football-team/

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Media are insatiable.

Jerry fires Garrett after two or three seasons-the inevitable discussions will be "no stability in Dallas"
Jerry keeps Garrett through a bad season- he is only keeping him because they are buddies.

Moral of the story-Jerry needs to win a Super Bowl or these idiots will not stop.

khiladi

Reaction score
Won't argue but you would understand the overwhelming backlash if we didn't resign Garrett.

5 years 'guaranteed' was beyond ridiculous..

That in itself was clear proof Jerry was looking for any reason to continue with Garrett to show the world his brilliant decision that he did it without JJ..

I knew it was going to be a mistake and was shaking my head when I heard 5, particularly cause Romo was most likely not going to last that long. If Jerry actually believed Romo was going to last, it's clear why he extended Garrett that long, thinking Romo would be there to 'bail him out'.

Now, he's probably realizing how stupid it was...

Last edited:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't see Jerry as racist because I don't see that kind of guy sticking around the NFL - or being successful in the NFL.

Kind of off topic but it made me spend a minute on Google, I was thinking Jerry had to have black teammates when he played college football. Common sense right?

Nope. Not in 1964. This is unbelievable but his 1964 Arkansas team was all White -

That's pretty crazy.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
5 years 'guaranteed' was beyond ridiculous.. That in itself was clear proof Jerry was looking for any reason to continue with Garrett to show the world his brilliant decision that he did it without JJ..

I knew it was going to be a mistake and was shaking my head when I heard 5, particularly cause Romo was most likely not going to last that long. If Jerry actually believed Romo was going to last that long, it's clear why he extended Garrett that long, thinking Romo would be there to bail him out.

Now, he's probably realizing how stupid it was...

I just barfed..

I did not realize he gave him that kind of deal.

Jerry would never eat that contract. We're stuck with this guy. It's disgusting.

khiladi

Reaction score
I just barfed..

I did not realize he gave him that kind of deal.

Jerry would never eat that contract. We're stuck with this guy. It's disgusting.

That's why I just chuckle when the homers try and absolve Garrett of every ineptitude via Jerry. JJ loves himself some Garrett for some odd reason.

The only way he'd can him is if he utterly bombs like he's doing now. He'd pull something like he did with his brother, John. Instead of firing him like they did Skip Peete or having Wade fire Brian Stewart, he made it seem like he was moving on to higher pastures.

AzCowboysFan

Reaction score

1964, the south, not really surprising. lol

khiladi

Reaction score
JG can go 0-16 next season and would keep his job. Linehan and Marinelli would be scapegoated. And yes I am being serious. jerry has too much time invested in his "coach in training"

Invested in his head.. Outside the rabid Garrett homers, who are acting like Jerry anyways with their past investment in Garrett, would be happy as hell of Dallas got a new coach. They'd forget about that bum as soon as the season was over.

khiladi

Reaction score
Didn't Jerry party in the ''White House" with guys like Irvin? I don't think Jerry would have any problems hiring a black coach. He hired Grant Hill's father to resurrect the Cowboy image of being a bunch of thugs..

DallasCowboys2080

Reaction score
wow this shiz showed up on my facebook feed on Dallas Morning News facebook site....

a3po9f.jpg

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...son-garret-significant-privilege-others-fired

its hitting the fan. making its rounds like it or not.

khiladi

Reaction score
wow this shiz showed up on my facebook feed on Dallas Morning News facebook site....

a3po9f.jpg

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...son-garret-significant-privilege-others-fired

its hitting the fan. making its rounds like it or not.

Absolutely love it.. It's about time Garrett gets called out...

And SAS said explicitly other coaches irrespective of ethnicity would have been fired.. That being said, he should have looked deeper and he would have found nepotism behind Jason Garrett..