Skip & Screamin A Nail It On The Cowboys and Garrett

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I thought Skip was pretty spot on. Steven A, as usual - contributes nothing.

PoundTheRock

Reaction score
The race thing was off-base, but Stephen A was correct in deducing Jason Garrett shouldn't have a job. Even if the rest of what he said was wrong, it's refreshing to hear that come out of someone's mouth on television.

egn22

Reaction score
Race was brought up because there's a glaring discrepancy in the number of white coaches vs black coaches in the NFL since its been in existence.

It's funny how the mere mention of this makes so many people uncomfortable.

DenCWBY

Reaction score
Now Ill be the first to say these 2 idiots on BSPN are just clowns most of the time but they nailed it about Jerry & Jason and why Mr Teflon still has a job. SAS brought up the race issue and the frustrations for blacks in America and how thy dont get as many passes as the white Garrett but he clarified that he wasnt saying Red has his job still because he is white but because Jerry likes him.

Any other coach with Red's track record would have been fired was the point of what they said and IMO they nailed it.

Sorry, I cannot read your take. Your avatar is way too distracting. Give you a like for that anyway.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Race was brought up because there's a glaring discrepancy in the number of white coaches vs black coaches in the NFL since its been in existence.

It's funny how the mere mention of this makes so many people uncomfortable.

Uncomfortable?

How is that?

It was crazy to bring up in the context of their talk on the show and then say its not an issue but just thot we'd mention it anyway. Looks to me like the people that always have to bring it up are the uncomfortable ones.

egn22

Reaction score
Uncomfortable?

How is that?

It was crazy to bring up in the context of their talk on the show and then say its not an issue but just thot we'd mention it anyway. Looks to me like the people that always have to bring it up are the uncomfortable ones.

Inconvenient truth, but I'm not going to get political here. Don't have the time and no one actually wants to discuss it anyway.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I thought Skip was pretty spot on. Steven A, as usual - contributes nothing.

I didn't mind his thoughts on Garrett but him trying to combine it with race was just him using that subject as a time to grandstand his opinion on other things.

He even admittedly said that Garrett is there because he is friends with Jerry and that race wasn't an issue.

Point to another franchise that doesn't fire their coach for mediocre & bad results that has a white coach for that reason but don't point to this franchise.

We just don't fire our coach because

1. The media has gave him a pass.

&

2. He is Jerrys buddy. That is the biggest reason.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Marvin Lewis was mentioned as an exception by SAS.

He brought up race as another topic really and didnt make the "white" excuse for Red. I personally dont think the race issue was necessary in the discussion. I get kinda tired of it really and IMO when race might be a real issue in some circumstances it just gets lumped into the "race card" category so many times because the race issue is just thrown around so often where it doesnt need to be.

Marvin wasn't the only one mentioned. It shouldn't be incumbent on the negative to give examples anyway. If you're going to claim race, you should have clear specific examples. If he cannot he should just not say anything at all.

Fact is that if a black coach was canned early unfairly people like Smith, who are looking for it, are going to be all over it. Instead of the conversation being framed as this nonsense it would be framed as why is <black coach> getting the axe while Jason Garrett gets to keep his job. That is the line between looking for justice and pandering race. Insisting that be the narrative is just awful television in just about every way. He wants that to be a story that is the reality he wants to create for us.

Quite frankly accusing or otherwise implying the Cowboys organization of being racist given our organizational history is asinine. I'm thinking Landry, Shram, and even dear ole Skeletor himself. Hill and McClay are the top 2 executives outside the family.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Stephen A Smith is a complete and utter tool. Absolutely 0 basis for that comment.

camelboy

mgcowboy
Reaction score
Just to show how stupid these two are .. Go get the tape and check it .. The day after the GB loss in January in 1st Take, they were both asked what next for the Cowboys .. Stephen A. himself said (I was surprised so I never forgot it) "First they need to sign Garret" and the other idiot was nodding his head in agreement ..
Now I am on the side of putting 100% blame for 7 straight losses on the coaches and Garret for most of the blame .. but I am not gonna flip flop and now call him an idiot...or unworthy of a HC position etc etc ..
You just told Jerry to sign him as first order of business after season end (before Dez, Before Murray, before anything) and now he is a symbol of the injustice of african american coaches?

Confirms my belief for the last few years .. just as there is fair weather fans .. almost ALL "analysts" are fair weather analysts

:cool:

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Garrett has gotten an absurd amount of chances and should have definitely been fired by now, but it has nothing to do with his race.
They said it has nothing to do with his race according to those who watched the clip

robjay04

Reaction score
I didn't mind his thoughts on Garrett but him trying to combine it with race was just him using that subject as a time to grandstand his opinion on other things.

He even admittedly said that Garrett is there because he is friends with Jerry and that race wasn't an issue.

Point to another franchise that doesn't fire their coach for mediocre & bad results that has a white coach for that reason but don't point to this franchise.

We just don't fire our coach because

1. The media has gave him a pass.

&

2. He is Jerrys buddy. That is the biggest reason.

You could make a solid argument that Garrett got too many chances during the 8-8 seasons but he earned a new contract last season. Local media, national media and the fanbase would've went wild if we let him walk after the success we had last season.

I believe Jerry would've had no problem letting him go after last season if we were not as successful. Now he is in a situation where he will have to eat his contract and force his veteran QB to spend his twilight years getting used to a new coach and probably a new system. I still don't see Jerry letting him go unless the team just quits on him even with these most recent comments.

Personally, I am in a similar boat as you in that I would love to see a more innovative coach brought in. Sean Payton would be interesting considering his success with Romo...but could Payton be the first coach in NFL history to win a SB with two different teams? I don't know, that is one of the scariest stats in football regarding coaches for me though.