Video: Skip & Shannon: Teams believe Cooper could leave Dallas

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
They signed over all leverage the minute they gave up that 1st round pick to get him. Advantage - player.

They'll likely overpay, because they have to.
i'd not say it's a good idea to follow a bad move with a bad move. if we can get him for actual value i'm for it. but he did nothing while here to be the #1 paid WR in football.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Cowboys shouldn't overpay for Amari Cooper. Amari disappeared at times last year, struggled staying healthy and even took himself out of games, especially late in the 4th with the game on the line. Now I see why the Raiders were glad to get rid of him. They suckered Jerry into giving up a 1st round pick for him.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
If he leaves first a Wide Receiver like Cee Dee Lamb at #17 big plus and you now have an extra 15 mil to spend on free agency. They
would need to be active in free agency. You saved 15 mil on Cooper and probably could add another 10 mil for losing Byron Jones. They
could draft Cee Dee than start focusing on spending 25 extra million on a Safety and two Cornerbacks. JUst don't beat around the bush
with Cooper and let it dragggggg out.
Agreed.

garyv

Reaction score
If Cooper gets offered 20 million a year let him go. I just hope the money for Cooper and Byron will be spent on the defensive line and safety positions. It’s a deep draft for receivers. We could get two good ones. Make Dak earn that contract.

My thinking is if Coop leaves go Cee Dee in first round if available or a top WR than devote around 25 mil you saved with Coop and Jones being gone and retool the secondary

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
With the kind of money the Cowboys are having to shell out to keep their top players it’s possible they could lose Cooper, which would force the Cowboys to have to use their first pick on a WR. We all saw what this offense looked like without a legitimate number one receiver the first half of the 2018 season. Not only did Dak get better when Cooper arrived but Gallup got better. With Cooper drawing coverage it helped free up Gallup. With Cooper off the field against the Jets, Gallup could do nothing. He needs to be playing opposite a top receiver who’s drawing opponents best cover corners to be real productive.

SixFiveCowboy

Reaction score
Trust me on this there's no way what so ever they are letting Amari Cooper hit the market he will be transition tagged at the very least before any of that happens. They are not about to let a 1K yard WR just up and walk out the door when they gave up a 1st for him. Stephen has already said that from the get go he will be in Dallas and he wants to be I think that's just talk to get ratings.

alicetooljam

Reaction score
If he leaves first a Wide Receiver like Cee Dee Lamb at #17 big plus and you now have an extra 15 mil to spend on free agency. They
would need to be active in free agency. You saved 15 mil on Cooper and probably could add another 10 mil for losing Byron Jones. They
could draft Cee Dee than start focusing on spending 25 extra million on a Safety and two Cornerbacks. JUst don't beat around the bush

I dont think theres any chance of Lamb (or Jeudy) being there @ #17....we'll see...

UncleOscar

Reaction score
Any team that considers offering him a big contract is going to have to ask the question: Why was he benched by his team in the 4th quarter of an elimination game?

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Ah yes, the old "let's spend the same amount of money on worse players" approach.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
i'd not say it's a good idea to follow a bad move with a bad move. if we can get him for actual value i'm for it. but he did nothing while here to be the #1 paid WR in football.

I’d just at this:

It’s a different cap environment. ‘Top paid’ today isn’t top paid yesterday. And it most certainly wont be when that next guy comes up.

These numbers are going up. Way, way up.

Carson

Reaction score
Any team that considers offering him a big contract is going to have to ask the question: Why was he benched by his team in the 4th quarter of an elimination game?

That’s Easy. **** coaching

Tussinman

Reaction score
If Cooper gets offered 20 million a year let him go. I just hope the money for Cooper and Byron will be spent on the defensive line and safety positions. It’s a deep draft for receivers. We could get two good ones. Make Dak earn that contract.
Agreed.

With draft, Cobb, and Gallup you would basically have 3 different receivers with 2nd round grades along with an upgrade at TE and 3 pro bowlers on the offensive line (along with the highest paid RB).

That's PLENTY of talent on offense, resigning Cooper isn't needed as much as most think. 20 million you can resign Cobb and upgrade both DT positions. That would leave you with a first round safety as well (3rd rounder along with rest of off-season money can go towards CB)

Bigdog

Reaction score
Teams believe he could leave Dallas and become the highest paid WR in football..

IMO it shouldn’t be a problem because we have an elite QB and elite QBs can make decent WRs like Laurent Robinson look great.

LMAO