Video: Skip & Shannon: Teams believe Cooper could leave Dallas

mcmvp

Reaction score
If he hits free agency, of course there's a chance that the Cowboys are outbid and lose him. That's what free agency is.

One team that I think might be hiding in the weeds are the Eagles.

Thes been talk of interest in Byron Jones, and that may be legit, but I think the one they'd really like to steal is Cooper.

I hope they go to the draft to add WR talent instead...I would rather not have to pay Amari top WR money. He is better than anything we have, but I don’t see him as a top 5 to 10 WR. I’ve seen him disappear. I question how much he cares about the game.

HungryLion

Reaction score
Ah yes, the old "let's spend the same amount of money on worse players" approach.

I honestly don’t understand it. The cowboys have been bargain basement shopping for years to save cap space so they can “sign their home grown talent” and now that some of those key players are up for contracts. Fans don’t want to sign players, so the team can save cap money, to........ I guess not sign key players again????

It doesn’t make any sense to me at all.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Teams believe he could leave Dallas and become the highest paid WR in football..

IMO it shouldn’t be a problem because we have an elite QB and elite QBs can make decent WRs like Laurent Robinson look great.

There has to be a ceiling and cap detriment in order to make Dak the highest payed QB in the league, and still be able to add significantly to the defense this season.
Everyone saying that Coop is coming back just because of the 1st round pick forfeiture is just trying to convince themselves economically.
This game has zero loyalty at any level today, there are no home town discount fairy tales, that was a Tom Brady married to super model myth.. right?
I really want to believe that MM took a look at the situation, cap wise, contracts, and high impact , but I really believe that he also took at real good look at this
roster... there are players on this roster that have been totally wasted.
I have several, but I will start with one player that I posted back when MM was first hired that this team might actually have a reason now to roster a once very talented FB
Olawale, hes a 30yr old FB, that at one point I thought had decent hands, might be re invented in a more west coast scheme.
We are paying for the stud Zeke, so why wouldnt MM want to take full advantage of past regimes totally untapped resource,,, the running game... lol
So archaic logically to run exclusively with your RB1, there are so many ways to utilize talent, and that doesnt mean that you are replacing Zeke with Pollard...
but what wrong with having both in the backfield and splitting Pollard into the slot or even going wide?
Its just utilizing the talent you have to create a possible mismatch occasionaly, and then taking advantage of the fact that the defense dropped a safety inside when they saw
a possible mismatch if Pollard just keeps doing his thing, and defenses have to respect that, but thats just so regularly used by every team with the same luxury, we haven't,, but maybe we finally utilize an already in house strength.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
"Teams Believe Cooper Could Leave Dallas"

Dang! They're ALL high already. :lmao2:

Jenky

Reaction score
I honestly don’t understand it. The cowboys have been bargain basement shopping for years to save cap space so they can “sign their home grown talent” and now that some of those key players are up for contracts. Fans don’t want to sign players, so the team can save cap money, to........ I guess not sign key players again????

Everyone is a critic and has their own opinion. None of it should be surprising.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I hope they go to the draft to add WR talent instead...I would rather not have to pay Amari top WR money. He is better than anything we have, but I don’t see him as a top 5 to 10 WR. I’ve seen him disappear. I question how much he cares about the game.

Due to certain mannerisms he has, I can see why many people share the same opinion that you do.

It's funny, outwardly, it looks like we went from Dez caring too much to Amari not caring enough. But I think appearances can be deceiving. I don't think Cooper is indifferent or doesn't work hard enough or care enough, even if it sometimes would appear differently.

Tussinman

Reaction score

Nobody is saying bargain shop. 20 million saved + another 13 million saved by letting Fleming/Crawford walk is a ton of money for a team that has signficant holes

You could easily pull a Greenbay and upgrade 7 different starting positions with that amount of money + picks (shocker they made it to the NFC championship game by having a strategic off-season).

Your don't understand it because your thinking it HAS to be one extreme or the other

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Teams believe he could leave Dallas and become the highest paid WR in football..

IMO it shouldn’t be a problem because we have an elite QB and elite QBs can make decent WRs like Laurent Robinson look great.

We was this movie before and everybody but a certain average qb got thrown under the bus.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I do not want the highest paid QB, WR and RB in the NFL.

We will never win everything relying on 3 guys.

The rest of the league can't wait to see this happening. Plus we already are paying Tank his $100+mil.

This is fine if these guys have won division titles and a SB.

They deserve it. But pay this out now?

No skins on the wall?

Insanity.

In this world you get rewarded after the job is done.

Not before.
In the world of 9to5 people you get rewarded after the job is done but it’s never been that way in sports or else a lot of people wouldn’t get paid. I think people get those two things confused

i'd not say it's a good idea to follow a bad move with a bad move. if we can get him for actual value i'm for it. but he did nothing while here to be the #1 paid WR in football.
He saved Dak career that isn’t enough to be the #1 paid WR in football?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Just what is your attachment to these two clowns?

HungryLion

Reaction score
Nobody is saying bargain shop. 20 million saved + another 13 million saved by letting Fleming/Crawford walk is a ton of money for a team that has signficant holes

You could easily pull a Greenbay and upgrade 7 different starting positions with that amount of money + picks (shocker they made it to the NFC championship game by having a strategic off-season).

Your don't understand it because your thinking it HAS to be one extreme or the other

The thing is. In free agency. You’re always going to overpay. You’re not going to get better players for less money. So if you don’t sign a pro bowl level player due to money and sign somebody for less money. Sure you’ll save some space but have players who aren’t as good.

I’m not seeing it as an extreme. But I’m also saying that people are over reacting to the cap situation and paranoid about playing pro bowl level players, because they want to conserve cap space. When the cowboys have been conserving cap space for years so they could sign and retain their own high level players.

I know how the Packers did. The Packers also went out and signed a bunch of free agents to massive deals this off season. They didn’t bargain basement shop. They had cap space and they used it to get good players.

Proof

Reaction score

obviously that's the dream, think it's just more a matter of knowing who's at the table and their track record.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
At the same you can't keep paying every player on the team ridiculous amounts of money.......it's a catch 22

naw naw ............ since we can't win anything, the revised goal is to stack talent, pay them headline popping numbers, and hope that is enough to make the team a safe space where they can feel respected.

Verdict

Reaction score
Depends on how much he wants. At some point JJ is gonna have to stand his ground. Imo it should have started with a player holding off his own shoulder surgery and it would have ended with another player that held out in Cabo with 2 years left on his rookie deal.

Now that’s the kind of mentality I want to see.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The thing is. In free agency. You’re always going to overpay. You’re not going to get better players for less money. So if you don’t sign a pro bowl level player due to money and sign somebody for less money. Sure you’ll save some space but have players who aren’t as good.

I’m not seeing it as an extreme. But I’m also saying that people are over reacting to the cap situation and paranoid about playing pro bowl level players, because they want to conserve cap space. When the cowboys have been conserving cap space for years so they could sign and retain their own high level players.

I know how the Packers did. The Packers also went out and signed a bunch of free agents to massive deals this off season. They didn’t bargain basement shop. They had cap space and they used it to get good players.
The advantage with the cowboys is the positions they need (TE, S, and DT) aren't exactly gigantic money pits. 20 million dollars your easily getting 2 very good DT's and a signficant upgrade at safety. Not only that the position you'd be letting go is one that's ripe for replacing this year, very stacked WR class

Last edited:

phildadon86

Reaction score

Oh my god you need to stop. What a stupid thread to throw Dak under the bus.

garyv

Reaction score
Ah yes, the old "let's spend the same amount of money on worse players" approach.

When you loose Byron Jones and Amari Cooper if they do go along with the many free agents we have and possibly loosing we
will have to be active in free agency and anybody that knows football understands you will overpay in free agency. You either
play the game or not because you ain't filling all our opening with draft picks...……………………………………..we don't get enough.

garyv

Reaction score

I'm not sure I want to be that team paying Amari $20 mil a season I just think its too much for one WR.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
If Coop is true to his recent statement about wanting to stay put in Dallas from now on, he should accept a "reasonable" offer.
Of course, that could somewhat conceivably depend largely upon what might reasonably be considered "reasonable." :muttley:

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

The 2 biggest blowhard talking heads on TV. Their opinion is like garbage with spoiled shrimp in it.