Video: Skip & Shannon: Teams believe Cooper could leave Dallas

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Depends on how much he wants. At some point JJ is gonna have to stand his ground. Imo it should have started with a player holding off his own shoulder surgery and it would have ended with another player that held out in Cabo with 2 years left on his rookie deal.
And how would that benefit the team? Pollard for 12 weeks lol ok bro

baltcowboy

Reaction score
If Coop has to go because we have to pay Dak 40 million, serves Dak good, he will be back to square one without a true #1 receiver. We all remember that fiasco.
Stop listening to the talking heads. We have plenty of money to sign Dak, Cooper, and any other players they want. We have no bad contracts. Romo and Dez’s dead money on the cap is done.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
My thinking is if Coop leaves go Cee Dee in first round if available or a top WR than devote around 25 mil you saved with Coop and Jones being gone and retool the secondary
They could go that way but to be honest there are wide receivers in every round that can develop into stud receivers. We will have a totally different team come opening day. Looking forward to it. Let’s stop being chicken littles. The sky is not falling in.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Agreed.

With draft, Cobb, and Gallup you would basically have 3 different receivers with 2nd round grades along with an upgrade at TE and 3 pro bowlers on the offensive line (along with the highest paid RB).

That's PLENTY of talent on offense, resigning Cooper isn't needed as much as most think. 20 million you can resign Cobb and upgrade both DT positions. That would leave you with a first round safety as well (3rd rounder along with rest of off-season money can go towards CB)
What blows my mind is all those free agent defensive tackles. If the team is patient they could bring in two studs for a reasonable salary.

nobody

Reaction score
If he hits free agency, of course there's a chance that the Cowboys are outbid and lose him. That's what free agency is.

One team that I think might be hiding in the weeds are the Eagles.

Thes been talk of interest in Byron Jones, and that may be legit, but I think the one they'd really like to steal is Cooper.

I think that they would happily take both. They are hurting in both positions and both would be solid upgrades for them that take away from us.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I do not want the highest paid QB, WR and RB in the NFL..

You will only have to worry about having the highest paid QB and WR for months, most likely. By the end of the season, Dak and Cooper will be looking up at others. RB? So easy to find excellent RBs every year in the draft. Zeke May be at the top for some time unless Carolina pays McCaffery what he actually deserves.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I think that they would happily take both. They are hurting in both positions and both would be solid upgrades for them that take away from us.
If Philly can afford Jones and Cooper, then Dallas could pay them both easily.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Agreed.

With draft, Cobb, and Gallup you would basically have 3 different receivers with 2nd round grades along with an upgrade at TE and 3 pro bowlers on the offensive line (along with the highest paid RB).

That's PLENTY of talent on offense, resigning Cooper isn't needed as much as most think. 20 million you can resign Cobb and upgrade both DT positions. That would leave you with a first round safety as well (3rd rounder along with rest of off-season money can go towards CB)
Anyone who doesn’t think Cooper played a huge role in Gallup’s season just needs to check their history about #2 receivers becoming #1 receivers.

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
I hope they go to the draft to add WR talent instead...I would rather not have to pay Amari top WR money. He is better than anything we have, but I don’t see him as a top 5 to 10 WR. I’ve seen him disappear. I question how much he cares about the game.

He disappears in away games period and then wants Mike Thomas money, SEE YA!

kumizi

Reaction score
Either Cooper or Byron leaving wouldn’t be catastrophic. If both leave, we might as well tank next year.

Cowboys22

Reaction score
There is something very wrong in Dallas. Every player thinks they should be paid as the highest player at their position when they are not even close to the best. If you play in Dallas and have a few good games, you then want top dollar. They have to change this part of the culture and the only way to do it is to let a few of these players go and give their money to unselfish team oriented players who understand their true worth and accept a comparable contract. I really don’t care if Dak or Cooper sign in Dallas or for how long Zeke and DLaw remain in Dallas.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
If he leaves that would put the 2019 draft in line to rival 2009, 2008, and 2012. Could make for a great debate in 2 years which is worse.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
They signed over all leverage the minute they gave up that 1st round pick to get him. Advantage - player.

They'll likely overpay, because they have to.
Why did Oakland trade Amari to begin with?

Becuz they saw his tendency to fade against good defenses early on.

His QB saw him dropping his passes and stopped using him as a #1 WR.

So if the QB lacks confidence and the WR is not consistant and the FO does not want to resign him..

you trade him.

Up steps Dallas.

Right now b/w Dak and Amari..

they are completely running the cap and b/w them they are forcing us to make crazy money decisions that could spell losing for the next 10 years.

Does this ownership not realize where they are headed?

Crazy man.

I can't take another 10 years like the last 10.

MaineBoy

Reaction score
If he leaves first a Wide Receiver like Cee Dee Lamb at #17 big plus and you now have an extra 15 mil to spend on free agency. They
would need to be active in free agency. You saved 15 mil on Cooper and probably could add another 10 mil for losing Byron Jones. They
could draft Cee Dee than start focusing on spending 25 extra million on a Safety and two Cornerbacks. JUst don't beat around the bush
with Cooper and let it dragggggg out.

Excellent points....hope Stephen is reading this post...

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
You do that and you're facing this:

1. 2017 1st round pick - wasted
  2. 2018 1st round pick - future unknown
  3. 2019 1st round pick - wasted
  4. 2019 2nd round pick - a waste
It quickly changes that narrative around about "the Cowboys draft well", doesn't it?

When we spent the 1st to get Cooper, it gave him massive leverage, because Jerry pretty much *has* to sign him or look like a fool for giving up a 1st to showcase Cooper's free agency haul for a year and a half.

If the CBA passes, Jerry needs to get Dak or Cooper signed before free agency starts and he's only got 1 franchise tag.

glimmerman

Reaction score
And how would that benefit the team? Pollard for 12 weeks lol ok bro
What happened when gordon tries that. He eventually wanted to get paid and came back. We had a easy beginning schedule. And when Elliot came on time he was out of shape anyways.

It’s a business and I get it but these agents aren’t giving the best advise. But then again the owners are looking for discounts. Maybe they could find different ways to negotiate.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
When you loose Byron Jones and Amari Cooper if they do go along with the many free agents we have and possibly loosing we
will have to be active in free agency and anybody that knows football understands you will overpay in free agency. You either
play the game or not because you ain't filling all our opening with draft picks...……………………………………..we don't get enough.
You're missing the point.

You don't fill those holes in FA because the players available in FA are worse. Being active in FA doesn't matter, because you're downgrading your roster regardless of how much you spend.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Teams believe he could leave Dallas and become the highest paid WR in football..

IMO it shouldn’t be a problem because we have an elite QB and elite QBs can make decent WRs like Laurent Robinson look great.

That show is scripted and they just actors.

People that have been guests on the show have confirmed that they are quizzed about their opinions pre-show and that the producers and hosts then script their opinions (they can't have both hosts and the guest with the same opinion on a topic).