Twitter: Slater: Cowboys Final Offer between 33-35 AAV. 100+ guarenteed

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Will it go up if the salary cap dosent go up though? Or what if the salary cap decreases like most are expecting?

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been answered but the amount that Dak will get paid if he plays on the Tag next year is set. That price will be based on a percentage increase of this years salary, if I am not mistaken.

Further, I don't believe that the cap will be increasing for the next few years. What I believe will happen is that the NFL will actually lose money this season and possibly next, depending on the situation we see going forward but, the salaries won't decline for the players. What the League will do is barrow against future cap increases in order to pay out current salaries even though teams may actually lose money this year. What that will do is freeze future salary increases, probably for a year or two IMO.

That's what I see happening. JMO

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Well it’s not the same deal bc they signed 4 year deals and they want Dak to sign 5. So he’s giving up an extra year with less or the same gtd money. Why would he do that?

The guaranteed money doesn't really mean anything, in terms of 4th or 5th year. Most of that money is paid out in the first 3 years so in terms of comparing guaranteed money over 4 years or 5 years, to me it's a none sequitur. The key is guaranteed up front. That's the big kicker that I believe most of the players pay attention to.

JMO

Sydla

Reaction score
Cooper's deal isn't a good one either, though.

Why he said to let La'el walk was confusing to me.

Why is it not a good one? It's a pretty fair contract that really only hitches the Cowboys to Cooper for 2 years. I mean sure, I'd love for him to be playing for $15MM a year instead of $20MM but it's not like 3 years from now we are choking on some big dead money hit to cut him or trade him.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Why is it not a good one? It's a pretty fair contract that really only hitches the Cowboys to Cooper for 2 years. I mean sure, I'd love for him to be playing for $15MM a year instead of $20MM but it's not like 3 years from now we are choking on some big dead money hit to cut him or trade him.

You're paying a receiver who is debatabley top 10 a top 2 contract.

Just like every other receiver contract, it's two years more at max, but Cooper would also have $6M on dead cap. So that isn't a positive of the contract.

Nobody said $15M, his graphic shows OBJ's $18M.

It's just not a great contract.

Last edited:

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
You're paying a receiver is debatabley top 10 a top 2 contract.

Just like every other receiver contract, it's two years more at max, but Cooper would also have $6M on dead cap. So that isn't a positive of the contract.

I won't say its a bargain but the fact that they can get from under it after 2 years....I have no issue with it. I don't really care about the per year money if they can get from under it.

HungryLion

Reaction score
I won't say its a bargain but the fact that they can get from under it after 2 years....I have no issue with it. I don't really care about the per year money if they can get from under it.

The factor I like about it, is it coincides with Gallup being a FA.

In two years they can choose to keep Coop on his current deal, or choose to cut him and sign Gallup.

Ideally by then Lamb is ready to be the top #1 guy in the offense.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score

In two years they can choose to keep Coop on his current deal, or choose to cut him and sign Gallup.

I was thinking about this as well....I Think Gallup breaks the bank but it depends on how well he plays.

kskboys

Reaction score

Unless Lamb flops horribly, it'll be Lamb and Gallup going forward. And IMO they are both #1 WR's.

Sydla

Reaction score
You're paying a receiver who is debatabley top 10 a top 2 contract.

OBJ signed his contract two years ago. As with most things, prices tend to go up two years later. Julio Jones signed a contract extension in 2019 that pays him more on avg and is less friendly than Cooper's. Thomas signed an extension in 2019 and he carries a big dead number until around 2022.

Cooper's deal is hardly a bad deal.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Unless Lamb flops horribly, it'll be Lamb and Gallup going forward. And IMO they are both #1 WR's.

Gallup is not a #1 .... yet. And if we're looking to find out if Lamb is one, there'll be less balls for Gallup. Meanwhile, you have to justify Cooper's contract so he needs to see the most amount of balls, period. So it may shake out like you said but Gallup's not going to have the stats to demand #1 money unless he's making Chris Carter type catches to bolster his case. And this is all before you get to the unknown with Lamb whom I would try to find out about immediately. So for me, I'd be feeding Coop and Lamb which might tick off Gallup if he's not ticked off already at having Lamb screw up any break the bank plans.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Gallup is not a #1 .... yet. And if we're looking to find out if Lamb is one, there'll be less balls for Gallup. Meanwhile, you have to justify Cooper's contract so he needs to see the most amount of balls, period. So it may shake out like you said but Gallup's not going to have the stats to demand #1 money unless he's making Chris Carter type catches to bolster his case. And this is all before you get to the unknown with Lamb whom I would try to find out about immediately. So for me, I'd be feeding Coop and Lamb which might tick off Gallup if he's not ticked off already at having Lamb screw up any break the bank plans.
If I am game-planning around contracts values or future values then I would be a stupid owner/coach/GM

MarcusRock

Reaction score
If I am game-planning around contracts values or future values then I would be a stupid owner/coach/GM

Then we have a lot of stupid fans because they criticize Zeke for not gaining 2,000 yards on the ground 1 year into signing a big contract. If you think it doesn't happen then that's on you.

805BoysInBlue

Reaction score
I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this has been answered but the amount that Dak will get paid if he plays on the Tag next year is set. That price will be based on a percentage increase of this years salary, if I am not mistaken.

Further, I don't believe that the cap will be increasing for the next few years. What I believe will happen is that the NFL will actually lose money this season and possibly next, depending on the situation we see going forward but, the salaries won't decline for the players. What the League will do is barrow against future cap increases in order to pay out current salaries even though teams may actually lose money this year. What that will do is freeze future salary increases, probably for a year or two IMO.

That's what I see happening. JMO
Thank you for the response