Twitter: Slater: Cowboys Final Offer between 33-35 AAV. 100+ guarenteed

Playmaker247

Reaction score
Step up to the plate jt
If we assume, like most say, that Dallas has already offered 5 years , 175 M and 113 guaranteed

What's your offer?
If its five years he needs 130+ guaranteed at least. Wentz, Goff got over 80% of their contract gtd. Cowboys don't seem to understand that. You can't add a year to the deal and have lower gtd's than wentz and goff

glimmerman

Reaction score
Maybe Dak will just call SJ and JJ and say hey. Give me this much and if I get us to the SB then let’s go back to the table. Put it in the contract.

glimmerman

Reaction score
If its five years he needs 130+ guaranteed at least. Wentz, Goff got over 80% of their contract gtd. Cowboys don't seem to understand that. You can't add a year to the deal and have lower gtd's than wentz and goff
The reason they want 5 years is so when they negotiate the next time it will be a extension and they can do it on year 4 and have that 5th year to spread new money out. That 5th year will have a crap load of money left to pay so the incentive to get him resigned will work in Daks favor.

DFWJC

Reaction score
If its five years he needs 130+ guaranteed at least. Wentz, Goff got over 80% of their contract gtd. Cowboys don't seem to understand that. You can't add a year to the deal and have lower gtd's than Wentz and goff
They probably look at Wentz and Goff's 4-year extensions onto the 1 remaining year of their rookie deals ...as effectively, 5 years deals.

On the date of the deals, both players then had 5 years left under contract. (4+1)
Dallas' offer is pay Dak MORE per year than both Goff (33.5) and Wentz (32), but only very slightly more in guarantees (110 and 108) ....IF the rumors are true.

Agree or disagree, I suspect that is part of the reasoning.

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
Dak will only get more expensive as Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson (and Trubisky...j/k) sign extensions in the next 12 months. So signing Dak now and caving to his current demands will be CHEAPER than it will next off-season (where Dak would get 37m on a 2nd tag regardless if the cap overall goes down because of Covid-19), So if Jerry and Stephen let Dak play on the tag this year, they're almost certainly saying goodbye after this season unless they win a SB and Dak leads them, in which case Dak might not even sign the 2nd tag at 37m when he could get 45m+ because he would get 54m on a 3rd tag, so over 2021-2022, his average would be 45.5,

I can't understand why JJ and Stephen didn't sign Dak to an extension during the 2018 season or last off-season when he would have been 75-90% cheaper. But their ridiculous insistence that "Deadlines Make Deals" is out-dated thinking. You're not negotiating oil drilling contracts. It's NFL contracts in 2020.

I don't blame Dak one iota for sticking to his demands. Owners can cut players and toss them aside however they want. Power to the players.

Give Dak a 4y 140m deal with 50m signing bonus that they can pro-rate over the 4 years, and guarantee 120m. It reduces their 2021 cap.

I think people are overestimating how much Watson and Jackson will get paid. If anything, I think they might set the market value for Dak lower than what he thinks he deserves after Mahomes got paid.

glimmerman

Reaction score
What the hell?

Collins was a bad move? Take the comp picks on Collins? He's one of the better RTs in football right now on a manageable contract.

Cooper's deal is basically a 2 year, $40MM deal. It's hardly a bad contract.
That’s what I said. I didn’t like the D-Law contract. And Dak should have been done last year. But Collins played well.

glimmerman

Reaction score
I think people are overestimating how much Watson and Jackson will get paid. If anything, I think they might set the market value for Dak lower than what he thinks he deserves after Mahomes got paid.
Maybe jackson gets 35-36. If he don’t get hurt running the ball to much. And watson I am not sure about.

HungryLion

Reaction score
What the hell?

Collins was a bad move? Take the comp picks on Collins? He's one of the better RTs in football right now on a manageable contract.

Agreed 100%.

not to mention La’el’s contract is a steal.

the cowboys could trade La’El with that contract for a first round pick right now. I guarantee it. There are teams out there that would give up a 1 for Collins at that contract price.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
You can if you think the other teams were stupid to give that much guaranteed money.

EGTuna

Reaction score
yes, but with the uncertainty in the world going forward, NOTHING is a lock. He would be wise to sign the deal. He may find the market totally reset in 2021 if the economy bottoms out globally due to the Pandemic. Very risky move to wait by both sides.

fair point. However, The Jones’s won’t be losing much wealth.

fivetwos

Reaction score
There are ways to get things done....

Such as his salary can be a certain percentage of the salary cap.

He can void the deal entirely if they win the SB.

The team can bail in certain cases.

Just throwing crap put there, but it's not like there arent creative ways to cover everyone and make everyone comfortable.

All I mean is there is a way to pay him fairly, protect the team so they can build around him, and protect the player in case the cap grows enormously.

It wasnt gonna happen by not talking for months.

I'm pissed at the team for not knowing this could come to this, and not having a better plan B.

I mean I suppose Dalton may have been MMs choice as an alternative, but I dont see how Dallas ends up with any compensation for Prescott (other than the late 3rd comp pick).

glimmerman

Reaction score
There are ways to get things done....

Such as his salary can be a certain percentage of the salary cap.

He can void the deal entirely if they win the SB.

The team can bail in certain cases.

Just throwing crap put there, but it's not like there arent creative ways to cover everyone and make everyone comfortable.

All I mean is there is a way to pay him fairly, protect the team so they can build around him, and protect the player in case the cap grows enormously.

It wasnt gonna happen by not talking for months.

I'm pissed at the team for not knowing this could come to this, and not having a better plan B.

I mean I suppose Dalton may have been MMs choice as an alternative, but I dont see how Dallas ends up with any compensation for Prescott (other than the late 3rd comp pick).
We don’t know what’s happening. Look at the offer. 33-35 per year, which is it. How much guaranteed. Does JJ want him to play under the tag or maybe Dak does. If he takes us to the SB this year and wins. Then he will want mahomes money and JJ will sure pay it then.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Tannehill got paid $29.5 mm just earlier this year for what 6 good games and 395 yards in 3 playoff games...4 year contract.

Cousins got a new deal that pays him around $34 mm...less than a 4 year extension

Bridgewater, Rivers, Brady, Newton, Brees...all 4 year or less deals.
I shouldve clarified what I meant. I meant, which QBs set the market since Goff besides Mahomes? All of those qbs getting less $$ than what Dak was offered is basically irrelevant to Dak’s negotiation...

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
What the hell?

Cooper's deal isn't a good one either, though.

Why he said to let La'el walk was confusing to me.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I shouldve clarified what I meant. I meant, which QBs set the market since Goff besides Mahomes? All of those qbs getting less $$ than what Dak was offered is basically irrelevant to Dak’s negotiation...
Wentz. I believe he signed after Goff. I believe he is the market setter right now. Next year it will probably be Watson