Twitter: Slater: Team has lost faith and respect for new staff

glimmerman

Reaction score
So they don’t want to play for nolan. The Offense was playing. Unless they were playing for Dak on Offense.

Reactions: G2

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Before 2020 it was "if only we had a better coach" excuse.

Now it's "these same players suck".

So lets get this straight. We get mostly new coaches and almost every player that was here on defense has regressed due to their own inability? So you are saying garrett and marinelli did coach these guys up beyond their normal ability?

75boyz

Reaction score

So lets get this straight. We get mostly new coaches and almost every player that was here on defense has regressed due to their own inability? So you are saying garrett and marinelli did coach these guys up beyond their normal ability?

I wouldn't mind hearing this one explained myself, lol

And for the record, I didn't like Garrett or Marinelli either

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yep tell them, bum players of ours, to stop with the excuses!

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Unfortunately, as horrid as we are... I think the Jets have that honor locked up......

You never know in the NFL.... i've seen some winless teams find a way to ruin their draft position toward the end of the season. Now that Garrets gone, there won't be an all out push to get to 8-8.

bigE79

Reaction score
I don’t understand why players, fans, media, coaches or anyone is getting all up in arms over this season.

More than half our starters are out with injury, we are down to third string on the offensive line, the QB is out. No team can be expected to win with these kinds of injuries.

All this getting upset just seems so silly to me. It’s a lost season. Might still make the playoffs cause the East is so terrible, and that’s cool I suppose, but no team can beat good teams when they have this many injuries. Neither coaching nor the 50% of remaining healthy players can change that.
Eagles did...it can be done with the right coaching and with players that give a ****.

TrailBlazer

Reaction score
Listen to the players. They never did this to JG. This coaching staff is clueless. I knew this coaching staff was a joke when they said that effort was not an issue when it clearly is.

morat1959

Reaction score
I don’t understand why players, fans, media, coaches or anyone is getting all up in arms over this season.

More than half our starters are out with injury, we are down to third string on the offensive line, the QB is out. No team can be expected to win with these kinds of injuries.

All this getting upset just seems so silly to me. It’s a lost season. Might still make the playoffs cause the East is so terrible, and that’s cool I suppose, but no team can beat good teams when they have this many injuries. Neither coaching nor the 50% of remaining healthy players can change that.
So what’s your excuse for the last 25 years?

Adreme

Reaction score
Its not the team.

There are certain defense players who are not able to understand a more complex defense scheme and now question the dc.

Cut their lazy arses and we are fine.

DFlaw, Smith etc....

You scheme for the players you have, not the players you wish you had. Good coaches can do the most with what they are given and bad coaches are the ones who have a system and are determined to do that system regardless of whether or not they have the personnel for it. At the end of the day Nolan is not a good coach because his complex schemes keep failing everywhere he goes and he does not adapt them with the understanding that it is not working.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score

Find the common denominator.

Williamsboys

Reaction score
"Turn out the lights, the party's Over."
"We played like dogs, should call us Rover"

baltcowboy

Reaction score

The Cowboys are expected to win no matter what. That is a price of being America’s team. We are 2-4 and the Cowboys are all the talking heads can talk about.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
You scheme for the players you have, not the players you wish you had. Good coaches can do the most with what they are given and bad coaches are the ones who have a system and are determined to do that system regardless of whether or not they have the personnel for it. At the end of the day Nolan is not a good coach because his complex schemes keep failing everywhere he goes and he does not adapt them with the understanding that it is not working.

It is not that simple.

And,if you watch the 22 closely it is not a scheme.problem but rather players who dont get it.​

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen aren't the types to admit it's time to re-invent the team, especially during a pandemic year. Maybe next year they'd be willing to rebuild or retool, whatever you'd prefer to call it . . . I would think the chances of them firing Nolan would be far better than for them to be rebuilding. Even then, there's plenty of room for doubt. If things stay bad enough for this season to be a total disaster, who knows what might happen? If I were a betting man, I still doubt Jerry & son will give in and admit they were mistaken. o_O

Aside from all that, we've been down this road before with Rob Ryan. Pretty much the same deal now! Will this thing blow over? Don't bet on it.

Last edited:

Adreme

Reaction score
It is not that simple.

And,if you watch the 22 closely it is not a scheme.problem but rather players who dont get it.​

Except football IQ IS A SKILL, and not one that just changes over the course of a season. If your scheme is too complex for the players to do then you need to change the scheme. This is not the first time such a situation has occurred for defenses and oftentimes the solution is to simplify the scheme and then suddenly the play drastically improves.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score

But we don't have the same players on defense. It's very different.

75boyz

Reaction score
Jerry and Stephen aren't the types to admit it's time to re-invent the team, especially during a pandemic year. Maybe next year they'd be willing to rebuild or retool, whatever you'd prefer to call it . . . I would think the chances of them firing Nolan would be far better than for them to be rebuilding. Even then, there's plenty of room for doubt. If things stay bad enough for this season to be a total disaster, who knows what might happen? If I were a betting man, I still doubt Jerry & son will give in and admit they were mistaken. o_O

Aside from all that, we've been down this road before with Rob Ryan. Pretty much the same deal now! Will this thing blow over? Don't bet on it.

As I believe you and I briefly touched on couple of days ago and is pointed out in a separate thread today that I responded to...

The whole premise of this HC and specifically this DC was to acquire good football players.

It was all about adapting the scheme to the skill sets of these players.

If they ain't grasping it then it is the DIRECT RESPONSIBILITY of the coaches to acknowledge and tweak as is warranted.
Whether this tweak is weekly, or in the game during a series or if need be for every defensive play.
Every single post absolving accountability of the coaches to ensure this is on coaching. The split second it occurs. Call Time Out. They have 6 of them.

Mind boggling how goal posts around here shift on coaching, coaching and more coaching and when it's an absolute failure, it has nothing to do with coaching.

It is the HC's job to ensure his DC has the HCs defensive team prepared, motivated and focused.
It is the DCs job,
during the game even, believe it or not, to make whatever changes need making to address in game issues.

This is ALL basic chain of command, job description and accountability/resposibility of the HC and DC positions.

Spare me the ALL 22 lack of effort yada yada bullcrap as believe it or not, this falls under the heading of coach responsibility as well.

PS. If Zeke fumbles, coaching for every day this week shoulda been old school him required to tote the rock around everywhere he went and every player encountering him, knocking at it to get it loose. Old school but still applicable today.

Coaching

It continues to blow my mind here how no one in the front office or coaching staff is accountable or responsible for anything.

Watch an Andy Reid press conference after a loss. It's called accountability/responsibility at the COACHING level.
Some here are so clueless they still might not get it.

Last edited: