Slater with a quote from a Cowboy source on free agency

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Cap is a tired and lame excuse....the cap is so easily manipulated. I have shown multiple times that we could clear 70m in space if we wanted to, mostly with the stroke of a pen with a few cuts of guys that aren't difference makers.
They could, absolutely. Should they? That depends on if they have a real plan or not. If they’re truly ready to move on from some core pieces of the current group I can get behind it because there is at least a legitimate plan. If they just skip free agency, use Daks contract as an excuse and then resign him in August thats when we should riot.

chuck520

Reaction score
The logic is to eat some of these heavy cap numbers now so they can be players in free agency next year. It completely sucks because you’re basically throwing in the towel on 2024, or at least giving your team long odds but long term it can be an impactful move to reset your books….assuming it’s done correctly.

That last part worries me. If we see them basically pass on free agency then open up cap space after the draft by handing out extensions we’re screwed. The time to lock up a guy like Dak is either now or never if you think you’ve got a replacement lined up. What you don’t do is sign him 4 months from now when the extra space can’t be used.
Except if you are supposedly rebuilding in 2025 why wouldnt you start rebuilding now? Why wait a year? You could have made a coaching change already and start clearing cap space. Theres also no succession plan in terms of replacing the QB and many other positions. I disagree you can sign players even after free agency. Right now the high price guys are going but you can get quality starters throughout the offseason, especially after the draft because some guys will be waiting to get signed.

I think we should try to sign some players but most of these free agents are not worth the money so your going to overpay for them.

chuck520

Reaction score
They could, absolutely. Should they? That depends on if they have a real plan or not. If they’re truly ready to move on from some core pieces of the current group I can get behind it because there is at least a legitimate plan. If they just skip free agency, use Daks contract as an excuse and then resign him in August thats when we should riot.
Signing him in August is not a problem that just proves that they arent extending him now so they dont have to spend money on free agency. Why they wont I have no idea but it would make sense as to why they arent signing free agents.

chuck520

Reaction score
Good question. It never made sense to bring him back if you weren't going to extend him and that didn't make sense. All I know is Jerry hates eating a contract and paying 2 HC's at once. Guess he'd rather let the guy play out his contract even if it means a wasted season.
I understand not extending him if you had Quinn here but after Quinn split it made no sense not to extend him. I thought they would hire Quinn but after the defense fell apart vs the Packers that became impossible apparently. If anything I would extended McCarthy because he did a good job on offense this year. I also dont understand why Zimmer came back on a 1-year deal? I suppose its better the coaches are all on the same contract,

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Except if you are supposedly rebuilding in 2025 why wouldnt you start rebuilding now? Why wait a year? You could have made a coaching change already and start clearing cap space. Theres also no succession plan in terms of replacing the QB and many other positions. I disagree you can sign players even after free agency. Right now the high price guys are going but you can get quality starters throughout the offseason, especially after the draft because some guys will be waiting to get signed.

I think we should try to sign some players but most of these free agents are not worth the money so your going to overpay for them.
I agree completely with the first part of your post. A better strategy would be to move on at very least from the current coaching staff. Get a new staff in here to both evaluate the current roster and start adding new players that fit the new systems.

I do disagree about signing guys post draft. Can you do it? Yeah, there will be a few guys sitting out there, but this team has 6-8 starting positions to fill. These can’t all be the leftovers and expect to actually move this team forward. Linebacker is a great example. Luvu, queen, and Jewel all signed very reasonable deals. It’s not just the record contracts going right now. IMO if you can’t sign a guy for $12M per year that’s maybe the biggest need on your roster because you have 3 guys set to make $120M-ish soon you have a roster construction and cap management issue.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Signing him in August is not a problem that just proves that they arent extending him now so they dont have to spend money on free agency. Why they wont I have no idea but it would make sense as to why they arent signing free agents.
Them delaying extending a player for the purposes of not spending money in free agency is exactly the problem and should be the biggest red flag to fans I’ve ever seen.

Thats like buying a new sports car, never doing the regular maintenance and then wondering why the engine is knocking.

chuck520

Reaction score
I agree completely with the first part of your post. A better strategy would be to move on at very least from the current coaching staff. Get a new staff in here to both evaluate the current roster and start adding new players that fit the new systems.

I do disagree about signing guys post draft. Can you do it? Yeah, there will be a few guys sitting out there, but this team has 6-8 starting positions to fill. These can’t all be the leftovers and expect to actually move this team forward. Linebacker is a great example. Luvu, queen, and Jewel all signed very reasonable deals. It’s not just the record contracts going right now. IMO if you can’t sign a guy for $12M per year that’s maybe the biggest need on your roster because you have 3 guys set to make $120M-ish soon you have a roster construction and cap management issue.
Theres going to be hundreds of free agents unsigned by then so you theoretically you can find starters, this is what they do every year isnt it?
I dont disagree , I dont know why they cant sign affordable free agents other than they dont want to however that just means they plan on signing cheaper players.

This team will be all right but will have holes. They are setting the coach and team up to fail. If they are doing this to make them earn their next contract then its counter productive. I do not understand any of this.

If you want them to succeed you would provide the best possible roster to help them win and sign Parsons/Lamb now before the price goes up.

chuck520

Reaction score
Them delaying extending a player for the purposes of not spending money in free agency is exactly the problem and should be the biggest red flag to fans I’ve ever seen.

Thats like buying a new sports car, never doing the regular maintenance and then wondering why the engine is knocking.
I know, I dont understand this. If they are trying to make a point the fans are going to abandon them because it shows they arent serious.

TNCowboy

Double Trouble
Reaction score
"We can't afford any free agents."

maxresdefault.jpg

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Theres going to be hundreds of free agents unsigned by then so you theoretically you can find starters, this is what they do every year isnt it?
I dont disagree , I dont know why they cant sign affordable free agents other than they dont want to however that just means they plan on signing cheaper players.

This team will be all right but will have holes. They are setting the coach and team up to fail. If they are doing this to make them earn their next contract then its counter productive. I do not understand any of this.

If you want them to succeed you would provide the best possible roster to help them win and sign Parsons/Lamb now before the price goes up.
IDK man it feels like you're going too easy on Jerry/Stephen lol. Yeah there will be hundreds of free agents, but that doesn't mean they're starter quality. There will certainly be some exceptions but most of those guys are either holding out for larger pay days after some team misses on their draft target, or are the back end of their career types hoping to get a chance. Honestly most years after the draft I'm way more excited about the undrafted free agents than I am the vet guys. It's exactly what they do ever year, but that doesn't make it right. To me that's actually the frustrating piece to all this. Just imagine if they were in the market for 1-2 mid tier free agents the last couple of years and not just the James Washingtons of the world. 2022 they were just a few plays from knocking off SF. 2023 who knows what could have happened if they had legitimate linebackers on the roster and could actually get a few stops on Green Bay.
In years past I would have agreed that this team would be alright, but this year they have so many holes to fill I do worry about the path back to 10 wins. Plus as you mentioned they are setting this coach up to fail. Entire coaching staff on 1 year deals...a QB on a 1 year deal. If things start to go south this season I think we start to see a lot of guys start making business decisions. It feels very much like Wade Phillips last season in Dallas.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic for 2024 IDK, but when they are not showing much urgency to improve the team for 2024, not showing faith in their coaching staff, and a really weird QB/front office relationship I just struggle to see this season going smoothly.

Chasing6

Reaction score
David Moore actually said around a month ago on the Ticket that they are not spending any money on RB’s anymore. They spent so much with Zeke and TP that they want to go as cheap as possible
They are going to go so cheap at RB, that they will not even spend that money saved anywhere else.

McMicah

Reaction score
Maybe when Jerry said All In he meant that he was gonna go to a voodoo guy and sell his soul or something, cause there isn’t any other action he could do to make anyone think he’s all in

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
"We can't afford any free agents."

maxresdefault.jpg
“You could have a yacht," Jones said, "And that yacht would cost you as much as three other smaller boats would cost you. Well, we're going to be all-in with the three other boats."

McMicah

Reaction score
The reason the 49ers and Philly always find deals is because THEY CALL AROUND. Only an organization with insane hubris would wait for people to call them

chuck520

Reaction score
IDK man it feels like you're going too easy on Jerry/Stephen lol. Yeah there will be hundreds of free agents, but that doesn't mean they're starter quality. There will certainly be some exceptions but most of those guys are either holding out for larger pay days after some team misses on their draft target, or are the back end of their career types hoping to get a chance. Honestly most years after the draft I'm way more excited about the undrafted free agents than I am the vet guys. It's exactly what they do ever year, but that doesn't make it right. To me that's actually the frustrating piece to all this. Just imagine if they were in the market for 1-2 mid tier free agents the last couple of years and not just the James Washingtons of the world. 2022 they were just a few plays from knocking off SF. 2023 who knows what could have happened if they had legitimate linebackers on the roster and could actually get a few stops on Green Bay.
In years past I would have agreed that this team would be alright, but this year they have so many holes to fill I do worry about the path back to 10 wins. Plus as you mentioned they are setting this coach up to fail. Entire coaching staff on 1 year deals...a QB on a 1 year deal. If things start to go south this season I think we start to see a lot of guys start making business decisions. It feels very much like Wade Phillips last season in Dallas.

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic for 2024 IDK, but when they are not showing much urgency to improve the team for 2024, not showing faith in their coaching staff, and a really weird QB/front office relationship I just struggle to see this season going smoothly.
I'm not going easy on them, I dont agree with their strategy but that is their approach find some players that dont have to pay much. I'm not disagreeing with you. I think you either move on from the coach or you give him the best chance possible to win. To put the coach on a prove it 1 year deal then you dont go all in shows its a set up. I dont remember if Wade was on a one-year deal that year it seemed as if Garrett was trying to sabotage him then everything seemed to go wrong the first part of the year.

I remember Jerry not wanting to fire Wade but he was forced to because the team had quit on him and he was embarrassed. Garrett came in on a prove it type deal and I thought they should have changed coaches after that season and made a clean start of it but Garrett was hired and it was a wasted 10 years I thought. McCarthy gives you a better chance because of his experience thats why you want to give him the best chance possible to win,