Snyder Buying Johnny Rockets Restaurant Chain

arglebargle

Reaction score
tomson75;1370603 said:
Bands wrote their own material before the Beatles too. Bands to this day continue to work with other artists material, moreso in many ways. I fail to see your point here.

I never said that the line of progression suggested the order of importance. The fact is, there have been monumental changes in music in many different periods within the last century. Some easily more recognizable than others, but that doesn't make them more important. I just don't like the way every hippie or trustafundian throws out the Beatles every time this question comes up...unthinkingly regurgitating some crappy article they read in High Times. As a music fan, I find it irritating. Then again, that's just my opinion, and they are intitled to theirs, however uneducated it may or may not be.

Some bands did write their own material. Some of it was even good. But songwriting was not nearly as closely associated with being a 'good' band. In fact the tradition was much more of associating songwriters with appropriate materials to the right performers. I really think the Beatles set the bar on this one. It is a major difference in the 1950's era to the post 1965 situation. Songwriting is a different skill and many perfectly good performers just can't do it well.

You do see a lot more respect for professional songwriters coming out of the Country influenced genres, as they still have a industry working to put out songs for their players.

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
abersonc;1370203 said:
Horrible food. Worse music. There was no worse period in American music than the 50's.

True.....

Unless you consider one of the greatest song writers in American Music history came from the 50s. :rolleyes:

silverbear

Semi-Official Loose Cannon
Reaction score
kingwhicker;1370255 said:
They are mondo expensive too for the quality of food. The only good thing they have are malts- and I won't be partaking in them EVER again.

If I want a good burger and a malt, I'll go to Fuddrucker's...

silverbear

Reaction score
abersonc;1370382 said:
I'd argue that more recent bands like the Beatles, Stones, and (especially) Velvet Underground have done far more to shape the present state of modern rock.

Except the Beatles and Stones will readily tell you that their roots were in the music of the 50s... check out the Beatles' playlists from back in their Germany days, and you'll see exactly what I mean...

Hip Hop still exists but that 50's style music ... well, you'd have to go to Johnny Rockets to hear that stuff now.

That's strange, I hear it on the classic rock radio station I have tuned in on my Jeep's stereo...

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well...You know I am mostly a metalhead and rock guitar kind of guy.

But I do love old blues, motown and 50's music as well.

We have an oldies station and I catch myself listening from time to time when the mood strikes me.

But hey what do I care, if I like the music I listen to it...Still love Frank Sinatra as well.

Heck I even like big band and swing era music.

silverbear

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1370457 said:
Everyone wants to dog the 80s due to Poison and the Bangles but the punk scene of that era was unrivaled as was acts lke RunDMC and Grandmaster Flash.

The Cars, Pink Floyd the Wall, Tom Petty, Nirvana, The Cure, Ministry, EPMD, Metallica, Black Sabbath, The Dead Milkmen, The Descendants, Faith No More, NWA, Neil Young, Skinny Puppy, The Pixies, The Clash, Stevie Ray Vaughn, U2, Van Halen and the list goes on and on. All from the 80s.

And the only three worth a hammered crap in that entire group were the last three...

silverbear

Reaction score
5Stars;1370544 said:
And it goes on and on...

What got Buddy Holly into music?

;)

He wanted to get laid, but he was a homely nerd, so he figured that was his only shot at it...

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
silverbear;1370786 said:
And the only three worth a hammered crap in that entire group were the last three...

I don't like all the bands on his list...but there were without a doubt more than just three on there that were worth something.

I will also add in Slayer...that style of music may not be to many peoples liking but there is no doubt they were and still are a juggernaut, and relevant at that, for that genre.

Every decade has it's share of great bands...littered by 10 times the number of crappy bands.

The 80's are no exception.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
abersonc;1370203 said:
Horrible food. Worse music. There was no worse period in American music than the 50's.

Are you on Drugs the 50's was a great generation for film as well as cars. kids

ilovejerry

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1370457 said:
Everyone wants to dog the 80s due to Poison and the Bangles but the punk scene of that era was unrivaled as was acts lke RunDMC and Grandmaster Flash.

The Cars, Pink Floyd the Wall, Tom Petty, Nirvana, The Cure, Ministry, EPMD, Metallica, Black Sabbath, The Dead Milkmen, The Descendants, Faith No More, NWA, Neil Young, Skinny Puppy, The Pixies, The Clash, Stevie Ray Vaughn, U2, Van Halen and the list goes on and on. All from the 80s.

Give that man a cigar

ilovejerry

Reaction score
FuzzyLumpkins;1370487 said:
Oh and i def forgot to put Metallica on that list as well.

ahhhhhhh you lost me with Metallica danmmmm you should have stoped quite while ahead, metallica hahahhaaha:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

ilovejerry

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1370802 said:
Motley Crue Crap !!!
Iron Maiden Awesome
Judas Priest Very solid band not as good as Maiden but up there
Metallica Maiden of the 90's - some songs then what's his face learned to play guitar ,

:bow:

aaagggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg search and seek and DESTROYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

what do you want it took me awhile to get caught up now lets get going

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ilovejerry;1370812 said:
ahhhhhhh you lost me with Metallica danmmmm you should have stoped quite while ahead, metallica hahahhaaha:lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2: :lmao2:

OLD metallica is still killer...Black album is ok but the good stuff was anything before that one.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1370830 said:
OLD metallica is still killer...Black album is ok but the good stuff was anything before that one.

Ding ding ding.

Kill em all, Master of Puppets, and Ride the Lightning are sick albums...anything done since the early nineties is garbage.

ilovejerry

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1370830 said:

Its aight. But then again its no "Aces high" or "run to the hills" now thats classic !!!!!!!!!!! my man,

BrAinPaiNt

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ilovejerry;1370837 said:
Its aight. But then again its no "Aces high" or "run to the hills" now thats classic !!!!!!!!!!! my man,

Hey...I am a maiden junkie as well.
Also love the Priest.

Aikbach

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1370802 said:
Motley Crue
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica

:bow:
The truly good 80s bands were Van Halen, Def Leppard, Guns N' Roses and U2.

Bruce Springsteen did some of his best work along with Prince and Tom Petty and Don Henley and Peter Gabriel at this time, whoever says the 80s didn't have a positive impact on music is oblivious.

There were lasting acts to come out of the decade which is more than I can say about most of the 90s or today.

silverbear

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1370785 said:
Well...You know I am mostly a metalhead and rock guitar kind of guy.

But I do love old blues, motown and 50's music as well.

We have an oldies station and I catch myself listening from time to time when the mood strikes me.

But hey what do I care, if I like the music I listen to it...Still love Frank Sinatra as well.

Don't care much for ol' Frank, but you can't beat Nat King Cole's voice...

Heck I even like big band and swing era music.

Ahhhh, Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys...

silverbear

Reaction score
BrAinPaiNt;1370792 said:
I don't like all the bands on his list...but there were without a doubt more than just three on there that were worth something.

You have to understand, I purely loathe metal...

Every decade has it's share of great bands...littered by 10 times the number of crappy bands.

The 80's are no exception.

Exactly right...