So confused about Dak

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
This goes back to his college career. He's an otherwise good QB who collapses when there is consistent pressure in a game. He didn't get that today.

This OL and QB have had trouble handling blitzes this year in Frederick's absence, but for some reason today they faced very few blitzes, even though the opportunities were there for the Jags to blitz in the 1st half. Result: Good Dak (107.5 passer rating).

Good Dak = pressured on less than 40% of his dropbacks in the game
2018 96.5
2017 109.3
2016 112.5
Bad Dak = pressured on at least 40% of his dropbacks in the game
2018 66.8
2017 66.1
2016 71.3

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
What the heck happened? I'm still processing this win. The defense has been good all year, but how can a team look so clueless on offense for 5 weeks and then put 40 points on the NFL's top ranked defense? Is this a harbinger of things to come or was the coaching just that bad for 5 weeks and now they figured it out?

My biggest question though is who was that guy at QB and will we see him next week.........

This used to be the norm with the cowboys when Tony Romo was around too. The inconsistency that you probably need good coaching to get rid of.

HellCrowe

Reaction score
Some people have posted that Dak requires this type of offense. The coaches this year are relying on Dak to get them to the playoffs so run him! 100 yards if you have to. We can worry about health sustainability when it comes.

With that said, the coaches know what kind of QB dak is and isn’t. Speedy, route running, shifty WR that need to win space. What happens if you have situations that Dak needs to be what we fear he isn’t?

pansophy

Reaction score
What the heck happened? I'm still processing this win. The defense has been good all year, but how can a team look so clueless on offense for 5 weeks and then put 40 points on the NFL's top ranked defense? Is this a harbinger of things to come or was the coaching just that bad for 5 weeks and now they figured it out?

My biggest question though is who was that guy at QB and will we see him next week.........
He had a clean pocket and so his mechanics didn't break down and was therefore able to hit intermediate routes to the outside. First game I can remember where guys caught passes near the sideline when it wasn't a go route.

That opens up the middle of the field because the defense can't crash the middle. Beasley has a big day and Zek has lanes to run. Nantz made a comment today that the Cowboys felt that the OL matches were in their favor this week compared to last week. They were right.

Dak's issue is that his mechanics fall apart without a totally clean pocket. Everybody is worse under pressure but Dak's efficiency falls off a cliff. That's really the whole thing. If Dak can attack the sidelines and maintain some consistency in less ideal circumstances then we have a franchise QB. If he can't then he is either going to be a washout or coach killer.

visionary

Reaction score
Typical Garrett coached team

No consistency
When they are favored they lay an egg
When they are underdogs they play better and then preen

This team is not winning 4 consecutive games against the best teams in the playoffs

This just means a convenient excuse for Jerry to continue the "process" garbage

waving monkey

Reaction score

a lot of us are scratching our heads. I'd like to see reviews of our Oline play

ClintDagger

Reaction score
Nothing to be confused about. Dak will never be a gunslinger. People treat this game and the DET / NYG games like he was slinging it around the yard like A-Rod. Well in those three games he’s averaging under 200 yards passing. He’s made some good throws, and he’s missed some easy ones. He’s the “good” version of Dak for sure, but still a subpar passer when compared to the elite. The honest to god difference is how much he used his legs. I think his running not only keeps defenses honest and helps move the chains, but I think it gives him a better rhythm in the passing game.

waving monkey

Reaction score

No consistency

This team is not winning 4 consecutive games against the best teams in the playoffs

enjoy

Bob-Lillys-War

Reaction score

No consistency

yep,
And say goodbye to a good draft pick position .

Established1971

fiveandcounting
Reaction score

getting 3 turnovers and that mulligan when punting didnt hurt either, the O probably played more at a 24 point level

BoysForLife

Reaction score
Not hard to figure out. O line gave him time, we actually had creative play calling and Cole was wide open.

Cole's been open all year as have other receivers

Today the QB made the right throws with accuracy

Give him his due. Played a very solid game
But today needs to be the norm. NOT the exception

cwbyfn88

Reaction score

He has been progressing to this. I've been saying that but got ridiculed. All the passes got caught this week. That's the difference

Whyjerry

Reaction score

Shocked you can’t see it. Dak was allowed to play his game and the OL was much, much better. Dak will never be a great thrower but he is good enough. His toughness, mobility, and leadership is what makes him a good QB. The guy can play. He just can’t play when he has no protection and the morons running the offense try to crowbar him into Romo’s Offense. All you haters are going to eat crow.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
He had a clean pocket and so his mechanics didn't break down and was therefore able to hit intermediate routes to the outside. First game I can remember where guys caught passes near the sideline when it wasn't a go route.

That opens up the middle of the field because the defense can't crash the middle. Beasley has a big day and Zek has lanes to run. Nantz made a comment today that the Cowboys felt that the OL matches were in their favor this week compared to last week. They were right.

Dak's issue is that his mechanics fall apart without a totally clean pocket. Everybody is worse under pressure but Dak's efficiency falls off a cliff. That's really the whole thing. If Dak can attack the sidelines and maintain some consistency in less ideal circumstances then we have a franchise QB. If he can't then he is either going to be a washout or coach killer.
I agree with most of that, but it's not the case that Dak's mechanics fall apart without a totally clean pocket, although that would actually be more "normal." In games when the QB was pressured on less than 40% of his dropbacks, Dak's passer passer rating when pressured was among the Top 5 last year. He doesn't need a clean pocket to be effective, and can be deadly when throwing on the run.

ATTEMPTS WHEN PRESSURED (2017)
< 40% pressure games only
Brady 119.3
Cousins 98.4
Prescott 94.6
Keenum 89.8
Winston 81.4

Dak's problem is when he's pressured consistently in a game. In games when pressures are at least 40% of dropbacks, Dak is terrible even from a clean pocket. The assumption is that the hits he took on the game's other plays put him in a state of mind where he's feeling pressure that isn't there. This is far from "normal."

ATTEMPTS FROM CLEAN POCKET (2017)
≥ 40% pressure games only
Winston 120.4
Brady 117.7
Ryan 117.5
Carr 117.5
Wentz 113.5
Cousins 113.4
Wilson 107.8
Stafford 106.1
Rivers 106.1
Rthlsbrgr 104.6
Keenum 102.3
Smith 94.5
Goff 90.2

Prescott 74.0

BoysForLife

Reaction score
He has been progressing to this. I've been saying that but got ridiculed. All the passes got caught this week. That's the difference

You act like Daks been on target with reads and accuracy on a regular basis

I honestly hope that's not what you're saying is it?